• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Help fight cancer with F@H! join team ECF today!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mykereid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, VA
That's exactly what I'm finding. After 9 months I finally moved into the #9 team spot. For now I'm averaging about 100k points a day, with about 85k of that coming from a GTX770.

Just get a good graphics card in one of your machines. A good GPU can do 20 to 40 times the work that a quad core CPU can do.

mykereid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, VA
Is this why my daily points has dropped an average of 30,000 points in the past week or so? My GPU is GTX 770.

I just bought 2 nvidia GTX 970's. Each deliver ~270k ppd. There's a driver issue that cripples them with core 18 wu's but Pande group today has announced that core 18's will not be assigned to these cards until the driver issues are worked out by nvidia.

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
I've said it before, for nVidia folding, you should be using driver version 327.xx

There is no driver for the Maxwells that gets around the problem with core 18's. It's known problem that Nvidia is aware of but has not yet addressed with a new driver.

BTW driver 344.16 seems to work best with the Maxwell cores. Coincidentally I got home from work and had a notification from Nvidia of a new driver release. The brief release notes I read mentioned bug fixes among other things but no specific mention of the problems affecting fah. So at the moment I don't know if this is the promised fix or not.

Last edited:

mykereid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, VA
I've said it before, for nVidia folding, you should be using driver version 327.xx

WTH!! Thanks for that. It prompted me to take a look just to be sure that I was running 327.23, which is what I installed 6 months ago. Lo and behold, I've been running 340.52. Not sure how or when it was installed, but hopefully it'll help get my daily numbers back up.

Thanks.

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
WTH!! Thanks for that. It prompted me to take a look just to be sure that I was running 327.23, which is what I installed 6 months ago. Lo and behold, I've been running 340.52. Not sure how or when it was installed, but hopefully it'll help get my daily numbers back up.

Thanks.

Gotta be careful with Windows Update. It periodically wants to install a newer driver if you let it. I set it to download updates but I choose what gets installed and when.

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Using the 344.16 driver on my MSI Gaming 970's I'm getting 35k points for a 9201 core 17 project that takes a little over 3 hours to complete. I'm able to overclock via MSI Afterburner one gpu core to 1512mhz stable. The second one in a different I7 machine gets flaky if I push it past 1500mhz. I haven't attempted to overclock the memory as the general consensus is that you generally will start to see fah errors resulting in bad wu's once turned in when you mess with the memory clock speeds..

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Gawd, I'd love to Nach, but with the existing funds situation, there's no way I can afford it. :lol:

I've had to withdraw from the team for a short spell until I get something better to leave running all the time. The host complained about me running it on the VPS, and the notebook MUST last for as long as I can make it last. Once I get a desktop up and running, I'll start in again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread