Help looking for a mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthrogk

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hi,
I've been a member for a while. I tried cig-a-likes first, then a vape pen. Problem is I can not tolerate breathing pg. So I tried vg, but it never had a decent taste. That was a few years ago. So now I'm looking for a mod (and juice) that can allow me to get the vapor and taste I'm looking for. I've been reading like non stop for two days trying to figure out what would work for me. So now I have an idea in my head of what I want but after spending all morning trying to find it.....Well I really need help. I'd love to go to a knowledgeable vape shop to see them in person, but I can't right now.
So, here is what(I think) I'm looking for. I want a mod that is VV/VW, temp control, upradeable firmware and replaceable 18650 batterie/s. It would be nice if it was on the small, pocketable size. Come to think of it I need good tank and coil recommendations. It is all so confusing. Please help me and thank you in advance.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome home. If you have a PG allergy, flavor is going to be an issue for you no matter what. VG simply isn't good at carrying flavor; that's what the PG is for. As for mod/tank recommendations, a little more info regarding how you vape. MTL/DTL? Do you subohm? What strength nic do you use? And so forth. I assume you want a pre-fab coil tank, not to build your own coils. Let me know what you want and we'll get some recommendations for you.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Then have a look at an iStick Pico starter kit. The mod's good for 1-75 watts (don't go over 60 watts on a 20A battery), has TC with three-wire support and wattage modes, and the included Melo tank uses the Aspire Triton series coils plus the c-cell ceramics, which offer both DTL and MTL coils. That'll give you plenty to play with to see what you like. You can buy the kit under 40 bucks, plus 12 bucks for a pair of Samsung 30Q (20A) or LG HD2C (25A, good for 75 watts) batteries and a Nitecore D2 charger for 20 (buy the D4 or the I4 instead, you can never have enough charging slots, but it's 5-10 extra). You may or may not end up there, but it's a good place to start to figure out exactly what you want a mod to do without blowing tons of bucks for a name brand. I have a Pico Squeeze, a squonk mod built on the same frame. High dollar it is not, but it works just fine and I like it.

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
I did some reading on info about vaping straight VG about a week ago for another thread. Seems most folks have a lot of trouble getting VG to work in any kind of a tank because it is so thick. Most of the advice I found was to take up squonking. Down side for you would be you would have to take up building, somewhat. You could buy premade coils and just learn to wick. There are a few rigs in your price range, some come in kits that include the atomizer.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Hi,
I've been a member for a while. I tried cig-a-likes first, then a vape pen. Problem is I can not tolerate breathing pg. So I tried vg, but it never had a decent taste. That was a few years ago. So now I'm looking for a mod (and juice) that can allow me to get the vapor and taste I'm looking for. I've been reading like non stop for two days trying to figure out what would work for me. So now I have an idea in my head of what I want but after spending all morning trying to find it.....Well I really need help. I'd love to go to a knowledgeable vape shop to see them in person, but I can't right now.

Can you not tolerate any PG at all, or are you OK with a little bit? I'm also wondering how long ago "a few years" is. Over the last few years, the proportion of PG in most juices has dropped while VG has increased, so you might be OK now with standard high VG juices.

If you can't tolerate any PG at all, I'd recommend taking a look at DIY (do-it-yourself - in other words, making your own juice). I think people who use very high or entirely VG juices often thin them with a tiny bit of distilled water. I'm no expert on it as I have the opposite issue - problems with high VG. For better juice suggestions, you can drop into the E-liquid forum:

General E-Liquid Discussion

And the DIY forum:

DIY E-Liquid

As for your equipment, I heartily second @suprtrkr's suggestions.

Good luck in finding a setup that suits you!

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
You might want to look at a Vaporesso Target Pro. I just priced one at Elementvape and you can get the Target Pro, two batteries (Mooch approved) and a two bay nitecore charger for under $90.00. This uses the ceramic Ccell which seems to last pretty well and provides good vapor. After smoking for 47 years I only have about 3 functioning taste buds left, so I can't honestly report on flavor. Reviews say it's pretty good for that too. One really good function is that you can easily change between VW and TC without having to change the coil. And it does easily fit in a shirt pocket. You might find a better deal elsewhere, but looking is half the fun.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I also second @suprtrkr's recommendation. The Pico 75 is a great little system that you can grow with. I started vaping seriously again this past Spring, but I never committed to quitting the stinkies until then, despite picking up vaping for the first time more than four years ago. My ever-growing Pico collection is what made the difference. I'm now tobacco free.

I also do both MTL and DL vaping, and my favorite tanks for doing both are, in order of preference: Subtank or Toptank Mini, Vaporesso Estoc Mega, Melo III (the Mini comes with the Pico in-kit). Any of these tanks are OMG good with stock coils and 70/30 VG/PG juice. I almost never stray above 40 Watts, even on my dual battery devices that are capable of 3x that and more.

I use 6mg liquid for DL and 12 or 18 for MTL but that's my preference.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
The smallest mods are all (what I call) Nano mods and all have internal batteries (I guess). I have some. They are great... in a way.
I have Picos (as do many) but the tank is second rate and not a true MTL. I stick a true MTL tank on it and sometimes swap over to a sub-ohm tank, but mostly I use 2 x 18650 mods for that.

f.w.i.w. I don't use TC and find it unsatisfactory with factory coils. The capability to run TC is not really on my list when it comes to choosing a mod. It just so happens, 95% of all the good mods have it anyway.

Some people find it works. I can get it to work just perfectly with a rebuildable atomizer but have wasted far too much money of factory coils that just didn't work to ever go down that road again.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Hi,
So, here is what(I think) I'm looking for. I want a mod that is VV/VW, temp control, upradeable firmware and replaceable 18650 batterie/s. It would be nice if it was on the small, pocketable size. Come to think of it I need good tank and coil recommendations. It is all so confusing. Please help me and thank you in advance.
Not sure what brand/style vape pen you've been using. But I want to say I wish I found the one below before I spent money on the Smok Alien and Kangertech Juppi kit. ( The Juppi is 1 of the best tanks for No Leaks, Great Vape and Great Flavor + the notch coil will last for 6 months, just wrap new cotton around it. )
But back to the vape pen. FastTech has the following....$12.66 VAPE PEN 22 Styled 1650mAh Starter Kit - 5ml / 0.3ohm / stainless steel + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
This 1650 mah pen lasts half a day with me vaping it like crazy.
The flavor is fantastic along with a nice cloud production. {And No Leaking}
( For under 13 bucks, it cant be beat.) And it keeps up with the best on the market. ( I ordered 2 more .)
My warning is...... To tighten the coil just a bit with pliers, and you'll never have an accident with spillage when refilling with 25% EJUICE LEFT IN THE TANK.
The first coil lasted 10 or so days when I burnt the cotton on an empty tank. I took the coil apart carefully. Torched the Nr-R-NR coil ever so slight. Wrapped new cotton around. Fit back into coil housing, and it went for another 2 weeks. I then did the same above again.
After nearly 2 months I figured to build a new coil. That's when things went wrong. Their .3 ohm coil uses some special wire that I'm having a hard time figuring out.
Any way. 6 bucks for 5 coils from fasttech is a great price. $6.07 Replacement Coil Head for SMOK VAPE PEN 22 Clearomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack - 0.3ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
( Its the wait that sucks, more so on something with a battery installed.)
This will fill you in a bit more....
PS. This pen handles thick VG juice very nicely!!!!!!

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Gah, how do you know that fast tech isn't selling knockoffs?

They do, but they are generally very transparent about it. If a mod (tank, coil, whatever) is marked as "authentic," it is. If it's "styled," it's a knockoff.

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
Thanks for all the responses.
Djsvapour do you squonk? Are all rebuildable coils for squonking?

If you are thinking about squonking you want to look at bottom feed RDA's. Another words dripping atomizers that come with a hollow bottom feed post. A lot of them do now. A very popular one right now is the Dead Rabbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread