Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I am really eager to hear how this progresses. You mentioned bakery and I instantly thought of a warm rice pudding with rum-soaked raisins. YUM! (Not sure how to create the "rice" component.):D
Is/was Azure the manufacturer of your Rum Raisin or is it another brand that Azure was selling? I'm gonna be bummed if it is terrific and no longer available.:(

I don't know that I have ever given peach three weeks before; I'll have to explore this! Thanks! :thumbs:
On the peaches........Early in my vaping days, a member here had been making his mix of 5 different types of peaches. I never got the actual recipe but he did send me a batch. And said it had to steep at least 3 weeks for all of the flavors to blend. So I have kind of just followed that. I know when I mix my 3 different types of peaches together it does take a while for them to really become one outstanding flavor instead of just one dominate one(juicy peach) taking over the whole thing. Juicy peach is great don't get me wrong, but combining more than one type of a flavor gives it extra depth...you know the kind you can't get enough of and always leaves you wanting more. That is what I always try to aim for in my mixes, even tho I don't always get there.
:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
On a quick search for rum raisin I ran across this recipe, tho I am not sure if there are any spices in it.
Just looks like a type of cream recipe. But fw butter rum is in there so there is hope. LOL

http://..................../recipe/90830/Arnie's Rum Raisin

eta...... Rum Raisin Flavoring - Bickford Flavors

Bickford flavoring is not new. Some of these flavors where used way back in 2009 and maybe earlier.... Not sure why this company ran out of favor with the DIY group.
A blurb from their site
"
Flavors are Bickford Flavors’ version of an extract. Bickford flavorings are formulated to be stronger than an "extract" (1/2 teaspoon flavor = 1 teaspoon extract), but instead of the flavor being diluted in alcohol, Bickford flavorings are suspended in either a water-soluble (propylene glycol) or oil-soluble base (soy oil). When to use oil-soluble or water-soluble flavoring will depend on what you are cooking up.

And yes! -- Water-soluble and oil-soluble base suspension is superior to alcohol.

Here’s why: Water and oil are more neutral carriers than alcohol; they impart no added flavor and do not evaporate as rapidly when exposed to heat. This allows the flavor to taste better, smell better, and not "bake-out," as a traditional alcohol-based extract."

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Not sure on Azures' rum raisin if its theirs or not. I have seen rum flavors and tpa has a raisin flavor but don't think I have seen a mixture of the two on any of the sites I frequent. I guess its time to look around a bit.
I did a quick google look-see and found Super Concentrates does one (SC-Rum Raisin) and Flavorah does a Raisin Rum (not sure if there is a change in emphasis or just a different name). I also saw several others that I don't know and at least a couple of those were oil-based so definitely NOT vaping safe.
On the pudding for rum soaked raisin --what about a rice crispy type mix with some type of custard? I think fw has the rice crispy flavor and all have custards. Maybe capella's van custard?
Not too sure about the "Crispy." The rice in rice pudding is more of a neutral starch with a touch of graininess to the texture. For sure on the custard. This again is more textual and flavor secondary. Light vanilla (could be covered w/the custard though vanillin might work nicely in this instance), light cinnamon (might exist within the rum raisin?) and the rum-socked raisin is the star. Great! Now I'm hungry!!
I still plan on ordering from one to one flavors, but just have not gotten around to it. I hear that some of their flavors are spot on. It is a shame to stay away because of some bad press. Maybe they have corrected some of the problems ppl didn't like about them. Dunno.
I hear you. They certainly have an interesting, and diverse, selection. And they may be quite good. My problem is there are now so many that do have good feedback, and I am trying to be better about resisting the "Squirrel!" temptation, so I am choosing to focus on those for now.
Bickford flavoring is not new. Some of these flavors where used way back in 2009 and maybe earlier....some contain alcohol so will have to be steeped. Not sure why this company ran out of favor with the DIY group.
They also have a pretty big selection of oil-based flavors so you need to be cautious with your selections. I always kind of mentally put them in the same catagory with LorAnn's.

As always; thank you for your thoughtful replies! :D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I know when I mix my 3 different types of peaches together it does take a while for them to really become one outstanding flavor instead of just one dominate one(juicy peach) taking over the whole thing. Juicy peach is great don't get me wrong, but combining more than one type of a flavor gives it extra depth...you know the kind you can't get enough of and always leaves you wanting more.
I know exactly what you are speaking of. Juicy Peach was one of my earlier flavors and I never got it quite right. At the time it seemed like everyone was raving about it and I just didn't get it. No matter how I used it it dominated everything else. Perhaps the extended rest is my answer.
The White Peach-FA is still #1 on my next shopping list though.
That is what I always try to aim for in my mixes, even tho I don't always get there.
Don't we all? :D

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
They also have a pretty big selection of oil-based flavors so you need to be cautious with your selections. I always kind of mentally put them in the same catagory with LorAnn's.

As always; thank you for your thoughtful replies! :D
On looking at Bickfords site tho, they have separated the water soluble flavors from the oil based ones. Also for 1 oz of flavoring for around $3.60 they are not over the top expensive.
I may just purchase the rum raisin for comparison. I have a sneaking notion that is where Azure got this flavor from. They may have just diluted it down a little from the super concentrate that Bickford offers. It also says that these water soluble flavors are in pg. And they offer pg and vg for sale on their site also.
Just my 2 pennies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Rice pudding? I would start with Horchata. :)
Awesome suggestion!
I thought about that but with the spices already in the rum raisin flavoring, I was thinking that would be way too much.
My concern as well.
You know, thinking a bit on this may be the ticket IDJoel was looking for. Tfa does offer a Horchata smooth(doesn't have as much cinnamon as their reg) along with TFA raisin and a butter rum that I think fw sells.
Outstanding suggestion. I think this would be a case of "blander is better" as I think I am looking for more of a base vs. a profile. Thank you @salemgold! And thank you too @Sugar_and_Spice! You both get major kudos!! :thumbs::thumb::thumbs::thumb:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I have gotten in some of the Real Flavors I ordered from Amazon. Steeping them now naturally. I have started them at 5% even tho others say around 10% is the sweet spot. One flavor that has really surprised me is the grape. It smelled so good that I mixed it @10% and have it in a tank now. I am just getting a soft taste of an almost candied like grape bubblegum, with just a touch of sweetness. I can't wait for it to fully steep. I have no doubt that I will be using this flavor is some sort of bubblegum mix or fruit mix.

I also have rum raisin steeping. I got it from Azure in their going out of business sale. It has a very interesting mix of spices that would go great in some of the baked or desert mixes. Apple pie comes to mind. I also think it may do well in a tobacco mixture to add another layer of depth.

I am also steeping a mix of peaces and cream from capella. Nothing added just from the bottle. But from past experience steeping peach flavors usually takes a good 3 weeks to blend to an out of the ballpark taste.
An update to the above post

The RL's I have steeping have been upped to 10%. Too faint of flavor @5%.
Using 50/50 pg/vg @3mg

I am steeping
Apple Pie
Banana Bread
Bread Pudding
Butterscotch Pudding
Cookie Dough
Grape--now @ 15% can taste a fuller type of grape now
Pink Candy--mixed @15%, has strawberry notes
Samoa Cookie

Capellas Peaches and Cream still just tastes like peaches, no cream flavor detected-still @ 5%.

Rum Raisin is a little spicy @10%. Can really see this in a custard/pudding mix. Maybe even a cake mix.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
An update to the above post

The RL's I have steeping have been upped to 10%. Too faint of flavor @5%.
Using 50/50 pg/vg @3mg

I am steeping
Apple Pie
Banana Bread
Bread Pudding
Butterscotch Pudding
Cookie Dough
Grape--now @ 15% can taste a fuller type of grape now
Pink Candy--mixed @15%, has strawberry notes
Samoa Cookie

Capellas Peaches and Cream still just tastes like peaches, no cream flavor detected-still @ 5%.

Rum Raisin is a little spicy @10%. Can really see this in a custard/pudding mix. Maybe even a cake mix.

The VG RF I tested at 12%. They need a good 1 - 2 months of steeping. The Raw flavors need less time steeping, at least 2 - 3 weeks IME. If I mix the VG up in bigger single flavor batches I will be bumping them up to at least 15%.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
The VG RF I tested at 12%. They need a good 1 - 2 months of steeping. The Raw flavors need less time steeping, at least 2 - 3 weeks IME. If I mix the VG up in bigger single flavor batches I will be bumping them up to at least 15%.
Thanks. Apparently it takes flavors in VG take a long time to mature. Even tho my mix is 50/50 pg/mg.

I think after this round of testing, I will try some of the Raw flavors. But gotta order some first. LOL

edit. just tasted some of the RL's I have mixed, the flavors are there just not as strong as I would like them. But I can definitely tell what flavor is what.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I'm still vaping the Bread Pudding sample I made. I'd made 8mls @ 15% & am noticing that it gets better, stronger flavor as it gets lower in the tank. I think increasing the %
as well as adding some heat to the steeping process could help. I know that the chimney base heats up & is probably warming the juice in the tank too. Gonna try it.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I'm still vaping the Bread Pudding sample I made. I'd made 8mls @ 15% & am noticing that it gets better, stronger flavor as it gets lower in the tank. I think increasing the %
as well as adding some heat to the steeping process could help. I know that the chimney base heats up & is probably warming the juice in the tank too. Gonna try it.
That seems to be in line with what RF suggests on their Flavor FAQs page:

"I hear VG Flavors are harder to work with? You have to use more!

VG flavors contain more of the actual flavor ingredients than others companies use in their PG based ones. Depending the application remember, heat is your friend. VG becomes thinner at 40C, and starts to blend at its best at 60C. If you are making an infused product, it is always best to let the blend sit overnight (or longer). This will allow the mixture to homogenize completely." (40C=104F, 60C=140F)

Perhaps a capped warm water bath, along with some vigorous shaking, might help it along?

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
FW Bubbas Pig Sap
FW Reindeer Poop
@bnrkwest
Did you try these as stand-alone flavors with no modification?
I tried the Monkey Fart and so wanted to like it but nah.
I like the Unicorn Puke and so have all my friends that tried it except one.
Thanks

Reactions: Kenna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread