Help on safety of coil building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Franks

May 23, 2015
So, I'm new to coil building...
Until recent times, I've stuck with tanks... Mostly temperature control

Recently I built a quad coil build with 26 gauge kanthal reading at 0.16 ohms with 8 wraps on each

I'm vaping it on my snowwolf 200w and I'm wondering about the safety of it.

How high in watts can I go and how does it work? For example, if I had a 0.2 ohm coil in an arctic tank, could I vape on just as high watts if I had a 0.2 ohm quad coil on a Rda?

Does the amount of coils effect safety? Or is it completely down to the ohms of my build?

Thanks for any help!

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA

Recently I built a quad coil build with 26 gauge kanthal reading at 0.16 ohms with 8 wraps on each

How high in watts can I go and how does it work? For example, if I had a 0.2 ohm coil in an arctic tank, could I vape on just as high watts if I had a 0.2 ohm quad coil on a Rda?

Does the amount of coils effect safety? Or is it completely down to the ohms of my build?

Thanks for any help!
What batteries are you using?

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria

Thanks for any help!

The number of coils really does not affect the safety of a build much. Since there are more coils, there is a higher number of points of failure like, clipping a lead not short enough and creating a short, or a screw coming loose, but i'd say if you inspect your build and take your time, it's not of much concern. Your mod most likely has built in protection against failures of this type.

As far as battery safety goes, Ohms/Resistance do not matter at all on a regulated device. It will either fire your build, or it will not (if your build is too low and exceeds the spec of your device).

What does matter is the amount of power you are putting into your build (ie watts).
Higher watts equals higher amp draw from the battery. The highest amp draw happens when the battery is at low charge.

For example:
To put out 200W from a battery that is at low charge, lets say 3.2V, according ohms law we'd need to draw 62.5A from the batteries. Considering that no mod has an efficiency of 100% (typically in the low to mid 90% range) we need to account for that as well.
Assuming 90% efficiency would bring the battery drain up to 69ish amps.
Since the Snowwolf is using batteries in series, that amp draw can be roughly divided by 2 to get the amp drain per battery.
So in order to fire more or less safely at 200W you need batteries that can sustain a 35A drain. If the voltage on the batteries drops even lower than 3.2V, amp drain will continue to increase.

I am saying "more or less safely" because 35A is pretty much the limit on what the best low capacity 18650 batteries can do, when they are new. A batteries ability to deliver current is tied to it's capacity (c rating). As a battery ages, it's capacity decreases, and so does it's ability to deliver current. Since we are already pushing the limits of what the battery can do, the risk for battery failure increases over time since there is no wiggle room at all at the assumed wattage.

At 100W, things are looking much better, which would put about 18.5A drain on each battery at most. There are a lot more batteries that can handle this, and a good 25A battery would also leave some room for battery degradation.
In short, your ideal battery will depend on the amount of power you will be attempting to put out at most.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The number of coils really does not affect the safety of a build much. Since there are more coils, there is a higher number of points of failure like, clipping a lead not short enough and creating a short, or a screw coming loose, but i'd say if you inspect your build and take your time, it's not of much concern. Your mod most likely has built in protection against failures of this type.

As far as battery safety goes, Ohms/Resistance do not matter at all on a regulated device. It will either fire your build, or it will not (if your build is too low and exceeds the spec of your device).

What does matter is the amount of power you are putting into your build (ie watts).
Higher watts equals higher amp draw from the battery. The highest amp draw happens when the battery is at low charge.

For example:
To put out 200W from a battery that is at low charge, lets say 3.2V, according ohms law we'd need to draw 62.5A from the batteries. Considering that no mod has an efficiency of 100% (typically in the low to mid 90% range) we need to account for that as well.
Assuming 90% efficiency would bring the battery drain up to 69ish amps.
Since the Snowwolf is using batteries in series, that amp draw can be roughly divided by 2 to get the amp drain per battery.
So in order to fire more or less safely at 200W you need batteries that can sustain a 35A drain. If the voltage on the batteries drops even lower than 3.2V, amp drain will continue to increase.

I am saying "more or less safely" because 35A is pretty much the limit on what the best low capacity 18650 batteries can do, when they are new. A batteries ability to deliver current is tied to it's capacity (c rating). As a battery ages, it's capacity decreases, and so does it's ability to deliver current. Since we are already pushing the limits of what the battery can do, the risk for battery failure increases over time since there is no wiggle room at all at the assumed wattage.

At 100W, things are looking much better, which would put about 18.5A drain on each battery at most. There are a lot more batteries that can handle this, and a good 25A battery would also leave some room for battery degradation.
In short, your ideal battery will depend on the amount of power you will be attempting to put out at most.
I agree, but want to point out that there aren't any batteries with a true cdr over 30 amps (which would seem to make dual battery 200w mods a bad design).

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread