Help with choosing the right flavour

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
I upgraded my gear from the basic Ego + Justfog to an istick Pico + kayfun Lite Plus, courtesy of my sister. :)
I'm really enjoying the increase in flavour and vapour, and fiddling with coils and cotton wicks. I actually had to drop the nicotine level cause I was getting sick (lightheadedness, nausea, accelerated heartbeat) so I don't think that's the issue. I think it's just a psychological thing: I still can't completely give up associating coffee with a cigarette. When I forced myself to do that the first time I started using an ecig, I ended up smoking regularly again. At least now it's just one a day rather than 7. But I'm not giving up, just getting there slowly. :)
Have you tried coffee flavor juice? I used to chain smoke so i started vaping with a high nic juice. I think I am using 18 mg right now. I tried to switch to a 12mg but i found myself vaping much more liquid than before so I ended up switching back to the 18mg.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Whiskurious

Jul 22, 2016
Milan, Italy
Have you tried coffee flavor juice? I used to chain smoke so i started vaping with a high nic juice. I think I am using 18 mg right now. I tried to switch to a 12mg but i found myself vaping much more liquid than before so I ended up switching back to the 18mg.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

I don't have a coffee flavoured juice right now, but I did try one in the past. The thing is, I don't add sugar or cream to my coffee, so anything I vape with it tastes super sweet, almost sickeningly so. I do have a juice I've mixed myself that is ok with coffee, but I feel there is still room for improvement. This coffee/cigarette issue is what made me start this thread, actually. I feel the Capella Chocolate Brownie Fudge would be great with coffee, I just need something to tweak it with to get rid of that weird taste I keep getting.
I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

Reactions: Lannie

Whiskurious

Jul 22, 2016
Milan, Italy
If I were trying to smooth out a harsh flavor, I'd probably use 3% Vienna Cream, or 5% to 7% Vanilla Whipped Cream. The vanilla whipped cream is lighter and sweeter, but the Vienna cream is rich and decadent, without seeming too heavy. Or you could try both! I have a couple of custard-type juices that I use both of those flavors in, and they seem to go well together. These are all just my opinions, of course. Your tastebuds may vary. ;)

Oh wow! A suggestion with precise percentages, too! Thanks so much. :D
I'll definitely keep that in mind.
I've read somewhere that all vanilla based flavours require a long steep time. Is that true, according to your experience?

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
I don't have a coffee flavoured juice right now, but I did try one in the past. The thing is, I don't add sugar or cream to my coffee, so anything I vape with it tastes super sweet, almost sickeningly so. I do have a juice I've mixed myself that is ok with coffee, but I feel there is still room for improvement. This coffee/cigarette issue is what made me start this thread, actually. I feel the Capella Chocolate Brownie Fudge would be great with coffee, I just need something to tweak it with to get rid of that weird taste I keep getting.
I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

I don't know what kind of flavors you like, but MY favorite morning vape (every single morning) is a combination of two of my juices - about a third of my tank is a raspberry custard donut flavor, and the other 2/3 of the tank is a tiramisu cupcake flavor, with extra cream. I drink black coffee, too, and this combination of flavors (the coffee/chocolate/cake of the tiramisu with added creams, custard, and a splash of raspberry) really sets it off. Somehow the coffee/cake/fruit seems made for having with coffee first thing in the morning.

Reactions: Whiskurious

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Oh wow! A suggestion with precise percentages, too! Thanks so much. :D
I'll definitely keep that in mind.
I've read somewhere that all vanilla based flavours require a long steep time. Is that true, according to your experience?

Yes, they get better with a little steep time, but they're good right away, too. Usually by the time one of my mixes is a week old (if it LASTS that long, LOL!), it's in its prime.

Whiskurious

Jul 22, 2016
Milan, Italy
I don't know what kind of flavors you like, but MY favorite morning vape (every single morning) is a combination of two of my juices - about a third of my tank is a raspberry custard donut flavor, and the other 2/3 of the tank is a tiramisu cupcake flavor, with extra cream. I drink black coffee, too, and this combination of flavors (the coffee/chocolate/cake of the tiramisu with added creams, custard, and a splash of raspberry) really sets it off. Somehow the coffee/cake/fruit seems made for having with coffee first thing in the morning.

Raspberry with coffee! Would never have guessed that combination could work. :D
I'm kind of terrified of buying a tiramisù flavour because I love and make the dessert, and am afraid I'll end up disappointed. :/
Which brand, do you reckon, makes a good tiramisù?

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Well, I've never had real tiramisu, so I'm no help there. I got the Flavour Art one because they make good flavors, and it had rave reviews. I love it, but like I said, I've never had real tiramisu, so I can't compare it. What it tastes like to ME is a rich cocoa cake with thick sweet cream filling (like Bavarian cream) and a hint of coffee. The aroma of coffee is stronger than the flavor in this, but it's very, very good. I mix that with various creams, and vanilla cupcake, and for the last week, that's been just about all I've been vaping. Of course, tank-mixing with other flavors for a bit of variety. ;) I've been using the tiramisu at 2%, and it's perfectly wonderful at that percentage, but the last batch I made, I upped it to 3% to see if I could get the coffee flavor to come out a bit more. It really didn't, but the extra 1% of flavor just made the juice better, in my opinion.

I'm vaping a tank of it right now, in fact. :)

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Raspberry with coffee! Would never have guessed that combination could work. :D
I'm kind of terrified of buying a tiramisù flavour because I love and make the dessert, and am afraid I'll end up disappointed. :/
Which brand, do you reckon, makes a good tiramisù?

If you make great Tiramisu the flavor will undoubtedly not be as good. I bought the FA version for a single recipe that I didn't really care for, and have not gone back to play with the flavor individually. It was a recipe everyone raved about and my tongue was just unimpressed! lol. I think I am going to go home and try some straight by itself.

Whiskurious

Jul 22, 2016
Milan, Italy
Well, I've never had real tiramisu, so I'm no help there. I got the Flavour Art one because they make good flavors, and it had rave reviews. I love it, but like I said, I've never had real tiramisu, so I can't compare it. What it tastes like to ME is a rich cocoa cake with thick sweet cream filling (like Bavarian cream) and a hint of coffee. The aroma of coffee is stronger than the flavor in this, but it's very, very good. I mix that with various creams, and vanilla cupcake, and for the last week, that's been just about all I've been vaping. Of course, tank-mixing with other flavors for a bit of variety. ;) I've been using the tiramisu at 2%, and it's perfectly wonderful at that percentage, but the last batch I made, I upped it to 3% to see if I could get the coffee flavor to come out a bit more. It really didn't, but the extra 1% of flavor just made the juice better, in my opinion.

I'm vaping a tank of it right now, in fact. :)

Oh boy... I had Capella's Sugar Cookie in my cart (getting ready to order flavours as soon as paycheck comes in) and now I don't know whether I should get that, or switch to tiramisù... :unsure:
I wanted a biscuity/cookie/cakey base for my dessert flavours (chocolates, creams, hazelnut, and so on) so I thought I'd get the less toxic Sugar Cookie V2, but now I'm not sure what to do.
I hate tight budgets, don't you? -_-

If you care for some real don't-bother-counting-the-calories-Satan-wrote-the-recipe tiramisù, let me know. ;)

Whiskurious

Jul 22, 2016
Milan, Italy
If you make great Tiramisu the flavor will undoubtedly not be as good. I bought the FA version for a single recipe that I didn't really care for, and have not gone back to play with the flavor individually. It was a recipe everyone raved about and my tongue was just unimpressed! lol. I think I am going to go home and try some straight by itself.

Well, they tell me my tiramisù is especially good. :D But then, with mascarpone, coffee, ladyfingers, and cocoa you can't really go wrong!
Real dessert aside, do you recommend the FA tiramisù or not so much?

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Oh boy... I had Capella's Sugar Cookie in my cart (getting ready to order flavours as soon as paycheck comes in) and now I don't know whether I should get that, or switch to tiramisù... :unsure:
I wanted a biscuity/cookie/cakey base for my dessert flavours (chocolates, creams, hazelnut, and so on) so I thought I'd get the less toxic Sugar Cookie V2, but now I'm not sure what to do.
I hate tight budgets, don't you? -_-

If you care for some real don't-bother-counting-the-calories-Satan-wrote-the-recipe tiramisù, let me know. ;)

The sugar cookie is a "lighter" flavor, in my opinion, than the tiramisu. I like sugar cookie added to some flavors as an accent, to add a bit of crisp sweet sugar taste (graham cracker is really good in that department, too), but the tiramisu, to me, has a denser, cakier, more decadent flavor. So I guess it depends on what end result you're looking for. Can you get both?

And yes, although I try to avoid sugar as much as possible, when I'm bad, I'm grizzly bear bad, so I would LOVE that tiramisu recipe. You can PM me with it if you don't want to post it here (a PM would probably be better, and not break any "rules" about being off-topic...). I'll need to find out how to make mascarpone, but I don't think it's too much different from cream cheese, just a different culture, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, I'll figure it out, and I'd love to try a real tiramisu. :D

Whiskurious

Jul 22, 2016
Milan, Italy
The sugar cookie is a "lighter" flavor, in my opinion, than the tiramisu. I like sugar cookie added to some flavors as an accent, to add a bit of crisp sweet sugar taste (graham cracker is really good in that department, too), but the tiramisu, to me, has a denser, cakier, more decadent flavor. So I guess it depends on what end result you're looking for. Can you get both?

And yes, although I try to avoid sugar as much as possible, when I'm bad, I'm grizzly bear bad, so I would LOVE that tiramisu recipe. You can PM me with it if you don't want to post it here (a PM would probably be better, and not break any "rules" about being off-topic...). I'll need to find out how to make mascarpone, but I don't think it's too much different from cream cheese, just a different culture, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, I'll figure it out, and I'd love to try a real tiramisu. :D

You see? You say words like "decadent" "cakey" and you have me by my incurable sweet tooth! :D
Unfortunately the tiramisù is out of stock on the site where I'll be making my purchase, so I won't be trying that for a while... Umph. :/
Any idea if the Cap Chocolate Glazed Doughnut is any good? Could that be good choice for a cakey base?
By the by, thanks for being so awfully kind to this newbie. Very much appreciated. ^_^

I'll switch all the measurements from metric to imperial and send you the recipe. You've no idea how many times I've had to do that the other way around! Half my cake-making time is spent figuring out how many grams is 2 cups of flour, or one stick of butter! XD

In the meantime, I'll sneak this tiny off-topic bit of info to you... sshhhhh!! ;)
Where do you get Mascarpone Cheese for Tiramisu ?

Whiskurious

Jul 22, 2016
Milan, Italy
@Whiskurious I have the Cap Sugar cookie, it is underwhelming to me. FA Cookie and Inawera biscuit are super good. Biscuit is wicked strong, a little gooes a long way. Will have to revisit tiramisu to give a better answer. I will try tonight to revisit it.

I was aiming for the FA Cookie, but the site where I'll be buying my bundle of flavours has run out. What's your opinion on the Cap Chocolate Glazed Doughnut? Any good?
Thanks for the help, by the way. Much appreciated. :D
Oh! And do let me know if you and the tiramisù make up. XD

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
@Whiskurious i just mixed up some tiramisu and what I get is a very upfront coffee/chocolate. A bit of nuttiness as well. Creamy on the exhale. I can't say that I get much bakery from it. Though it is fresh mixed. To me it has a taste similar to acetyl pyrazine with chocolate/coffee/cream notes.

I have quirky taste buds, but it wouldn't be my choice to add bakery notes. It is a very complex flavor a solid B fresh.

Any chance of a different vendor for cookie?

Haven't tried the chocolate donut. Their glazed donut is pretty great.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
You see? You say words like "decadent" "cakey" and you have me by my incurable sweet tooth! :D
Unfortunately the tiramisù is out of stock on the site where I'll be making my purchase, so I won't be trying that for a while... Umph. :/
Any idea if the Cap Chocolate Glazed Doughnut is any good? Could that be good choice for a cakey base?
By the by, thanks for being so awfully kind to this newbie. Very much appreciated. ^_^

I'll switch all the measurements from metric to imperial and send you the recipe. You've no idea how many times I've had to do that the other way around! Half my cake-making time is spent figuring out how many grams is 2 cups of flour, or one stick of butter! XD

In the meantime, I'll sneak this tiny off-topic bit of info to you... sshhhhh!! ;)
Where do you get Mascarpone Cheese for Tiramisu ?

I haven't tried the chocolate glazed doughnut, either, so I don't know about that one. @sketchness what percentage did you use in the straight tiramisu? I started out with someone's recipe that added several cream flavors to it, and then I added some others (vanilla cupcake, then cherry) so I have a really nice flavored juice, but I kinda lost the coffee somewhere along the way! LOL! I think I'd like to try a straight tiramisu flavor now. 2%? 3%? More or less?

@Whiskurious THANKS for that link! I pulled out my cheese book yesterday and saw two methods of making it, one with a creme fraiche culture, and one with tartaric acid (which I don't have). I was wondering if I could sub lemon juice or vinegar, and apparently I can. It's like panir, only made with cream. I'm going to try that method and the other one with the cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, etc. and see which one I like best. I have a cow, so this will be easy to experiment with. ;)

Whiskurious

Jul 22, 2016
Milan, Italy
Hey there! Sorry for writing back so late. Emily (the Kitty Queen in my avatar) needed to go see the doctor for same nasty bladder struvite stones. :/

I received my new flavours today (yay!) so:

@sketchness in the end I went with the chocolate glazed doughnuts. I just finished mixing up 30 ml, will know what it tastes like in a few days. I'll keep you posted. ;)

@Lannie I WILL get that recipe to you, as soon as I've dealt with Emily's condition, which implies completely changing her diet. Umph!
In the meantime I wanted to thank you sooo much for the whipped cream suggestion. I mixed some just now, and decided I'd be naughty and vape it straight away. :D
I dripped some in over my CFB and Hazelnut mix, and now I've got... NUTELLA!!! I swear! It isn't as overpowering as actual chocolate/nut spread, but it's definitely there! I can't wait to play with all my new flavours.
You've truly been a star with helping me figure out what to get.
Again, really appreciate it. ***

Reactions: sketchness

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Playing with flavors is so much fun! In fact, you've given me the idea to try a bit of hazelnut in MY brownie juice. I can't do brownie in the summer, though, too heavy for me. Right now I'm on a fruit-and-creams kick, sometimes with a bit of cupcake or biscuit flavor. And me, a chocoholic! LOL! I perfected the mascarpone, I think, so I'm ready for that recipe when you have time. NO RUSHING! Kitty problems are first.

Whiskurious

Jul 22, 2016
Milan, Italy
Playing with flavors is so much fun! In fact, you've given me the idea to try a bit of hazelnut in MY brownie juice. I can't do brownie in the summer, though, too heavy for me. Right now I'm on a fruit-and-creams kick, sometimes with a bit of cupcake or biscuit flavor. And me, a chocoholic! LOL! I perfected the mascarpone, I think, so I'm ready for that recipe when you have time. NO RUSHING! Kitty problems are first.

Well done on the mascarpone! Wish I could taste it. ^^
Told Ricky (my live-in lover, as Billy Connolly would say) about you having a cow. We were both quite impressed. :D

I get what you mean, it's just that I need something that will replace those ciggies that used to go with my coffee. I'm also a chocaholic, as well as being a coffee addict (tiramisù *hint, hint*). I think I drink something like 10 mocha coffees a day. You can see how I need to keep my fingers from rolling tobacco every time I fill my mug. :/

If you could get your hands on Italian flavours, I'd highly recommend Hydra by ToB. It's a red berries mix with some other fruity, tangy, yummy something in it. This is my in-bed-with-a-book vape. Scrumptious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread