Help with cotton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cages2Clouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2015
Hello, so I've been using rda's more and more and was wondering if these "premium cotton squares" are really the way to go? They are very pricey and someone on here mentioned a type of women's make up cotton that you can buy several feet of it in a box and pull it out as needed but I can't remember what it's called. You could get a years supply of cotton for around $15, if anyone knows what I'm talking about let me know, also and more importantly what are your guys opinions on cotton for rda's?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
There are two main types of wicking material being used these days, rayon and cotton.

Rayon. It's a cellulose fiber that's made from wood. I have 500 feet of it in a box (minus about five feet that I've used in the last year :rolleyes:). The manufacturer is Graham, they call it Cellucotton and I think I paid around $15 for it from Sally's Beauty Supply. Part number is 44060. They sell smaller boxes too. When buying this stuff you have to be careful to get the pure rayon product. I think this is the 'women's make up cotton' you're referring to. Compared to cotton, you need to stuff more of it into a coil or it can give you burnt hits. Get it right and it's a really great vape.

Cotton. I have used a bunch of different cotton products including non-organic cotton balls, organic cotton balls, first aid gauze and Koh Gen Do which is a non bleached pure cotton product from Japan. The Koh Gen Do is the best cotton product I've found. The $12 box of 60 squares from Sephora will last me at least a couple of years. Some vape shops sell this as a premium product for as much as a buck a sheet :sneaky:

I like both Koh Gen Do and Cellucotton (rayon). I'm not going to go back to other cottons. With nickel or titanium coils on temperature protected mods I only use cotton. Other than that both do the job equally well for me.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I'm in the rayon camp, and Ryedan has sourced it for you. As he mentioned, DO read the box carefully, as they also sell a regular cotton (or maybe a cotton rayon blend), and if you go with rayon, you want the pure rayon.

Rayon, ime, holds up better, lasts longer than cotton. But either is cheap enough (unless you bite on the "premium"!) that that's not really an issue.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I'm in both the Koh Gen Do and rayon camp. Koh Gen Do sounds like what you are describing and is the only cotton I use. I like cotton better in drippers because it absorbs more juice so there is less leaking out the airholes. I use Sally's rayon in tanks because it wicks so good and the flavor can't be beat. Cotton is fine in tanks also but with the atty I use, rayon works best for me.

Thanks for the link Ryedan. I've been paying WAY too much. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread