Wood Help With dimensions of Wood for BoxMod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never actually made a wood box mod before. I have messed with DIY Hammond box Kits before. So my Question here is how do i make out the Dimensions of the box so that i can fit everything in there tidy. I plan to make parallel 18350 for aesthetics and just needed i guess either a Diagram with measurements or just tips and common mistakes people made when first working with wood, be it in the measuring or cutting process, any special tools i may not have thought of. I was thinking i would work with poplar wood since my school wood shop does not allow treated woods for reasons i don't know, however im open and hope for other suggestions. I wondered what other woods look grand without staining that are not chemically treated.
I know the general wiring without a mosfet but it doesn't look difficult to put a mosfet in. However i haven't worked without a battery sled ever and was wondering of any tips on how to make the springs for the batteries with copper or any other method of getting the batteries in there without rattle. Tips in general actually.
Also wondering if i would need a mosfet at all. Since it is 18350 y do not plan on runing anything lower than 1.0.

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
I am not that much help to you but I will put a couple of cents in.

We made prototypes of all our shapes before we invested time in the actual wood we decided to use. We have different woods to you but the prototypes were in a very soft wood (in our case willow). We used those prototypes to work out the best fit and feel in the hand and the internal space required. It also gives you the chance to play with the production process. It helped that we started off big until we understood what internal space and thickness was required. Thickness is an issue depending on the wood you use. Too thin and you will get warping, too thick and it might be heavy.

We spent a lot of time playing with various connections and buttons to get the right feel for me.

Lastly the finishing. Again the quality of the final finishing depends on your preparation and the wood you choose. Different finishes work best on different woods. Play with scraps of the timber you choose. Sand and buffing is your friend. Be patient and you will have something beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread