Help with ego vision stardust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarnspice

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2011
Pacific,MO
Hi
Hoping someone can help-got my stardust a couple of days ago and on my 3rd fill as I was filling the juice bottle kind of glugged and some juice went into the atomizer tube-finished filling -put the mouthpiece back on and blew it out-put it on my freshly charged KGO and it is producing plenty of vapor but juice has a burnt taste-not like a burning plastic taste but just burnt-flavor definitely bad-it was perfect before-Did I ruin it? :( what would cause this and any ideas on how to fix??? I've mainly only used the mdcc's so not too familiar with the ce2-4 type cartos
Also how will I know when to clean?? Is there a simpler way than complete disassembly?
These things are awesome and I have a couple extra here and more on the way but would love to get this one working again -any ideas???
Thanks
UPDATE: Just refilled my second stardust which has a different flavor juice and same number of fills as above (been switching off) and there is definitely a huge flavor reduction?
can't figure this out they were both awesome until the latest refills-best flavor I've ever had
hope I can get them both working right again. C'mon guys help a sister out!

Last edited:

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
You should be able to just pour the liquid out. I cleaned one of my Stardusts the other day and did a dry burn on it. It had a burnt taste to it afterwards and I puffed through a tank of unflavored liquid to see if it would go away. It did and was fine when I finished that tankful and refilled again with a flavor.

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
I just rinsed it with water. I've seen videos of taking them apart, but I didn't have leaking issues with my ce2s until I took them apart so I'm not risking it with these lol. I just rinsed and emptied them several times, pulled the rubber cap off the coil post (not out of the tank, just up out of the way) and did a few dry burns. I only did that with one that I'd used a dark thick liquid in though...the others haven't needed anything but a rinse between flavors.

chinsk

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
I just rinsed it with water. I've seen videos of taking them apart, but I didn't have leaking issues with my ce2s until I took them apart so I'm not risking it with these lol. I just rinsed and emptied them several times, pulled the rubber cap off the coil post (not out of the tank, just up out of the way) and did a few dry burns. I only did that with one that I'd used a dark thick liquid in though...the others haven't needed anything but a rinse between flavors.

This.

I managed to destroy one of my stardusts taking it apart so I will never be attempting that again.

Sugarnspice

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2011
Pacific,MO
OK so I think I figured out what happened- There is a thin rubber or silicone gasket attached to the threading on the tank-not the gasket on the mouthpiece-this is what causes that slight resistance/snug fit as you insert the mouthpiece-I think this is to keep the juice from working it's way up the threading-it came loose and was lodged between the end of the mouthpiece and the cap on the interior post and part of it was wedged inbetween the rubber cap of the post and the interior wall of the tank- I tried to fit it back into the threading and can't get it back in- I have been using it anyway and the flavor has improved -no leaking so far-wonder if this has happened to anyone else? Hopefully this is a fluke-I am just going to be careful when replacing the mouthpiece. This only happened in one of the two I am currently using -The other one seemed to have reduced flavor after refilling but the flavor seems to have come back in that one -not sure what caused that issue-it is entirely possible that my taste buds were affected by the burnt taste in the other one as I was switching back and forth between flavors.-Just thought I'd let you guys know-if anyone knows how to get the gasket back into the tank threading let me know-it is so tiny and difficult to see into and work in that small space at the mouth of the tank I don't know if it's possible-I was using a bent paper clip when I tried it -thought I got it in there but as soon as I replaced the mouthpiece it popped out again- oh well at least it still works!:D

One other thing- I am using the 2.5-2.7 ohm stardust -is it possible my KGO fully charged it too much voltage for that ohm rating- was thinking about trying a lower ohm in the next order-how low could I go? I think the KGO fully charged is like 4.0-4.2v and 3.7 once it discharges some. What do you all think?

Last edited:

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
OK so I think I figured out what happened- There is a thin rubber or silicone gasket attached to the threading on the tank-not the gasket on the mouthpiece-this is what causes that slight resistance/snug fit as you insert the mouthpiece-I think this is to keep the juice from working it's way up the threading-it came loose and was lodged between the end of the mouthpiece and the cap on the interior post and part of it was wedged inbetween the rubber cap of the post and the interior wall of the tank- I tried to fit it back into the threading and can't get it back in- I have been using it anyway and the flavor has improved -no leaking so far-wonder if this has happened to anyone else? Hopefully this is a fluke-I am just going to be careful when replacing the mouthpiece. This only happened in one of the two I am currently using -The other one seemed to have reduced flavor after refilling but the flavor seems to have come back in that one -not sure what caused that issue-it is entirely possible that my taste buds were affected by the burnt taste in the other one as I was switching back and forth between flavors.-Just thought I'd let you guys know-if anyone knows how to get the gasket back into the tank threading let me know-it is so tiny and difficult to see into and work in that small space at the mouth of the tank I don't know if it's possible-I was using a bent paper clip when I tried it -thought I got it in there but as soon as I replaced the mouthpiece it popped out again- oh well at least it still works!:D

One other thing- I am using the 2.5-2.7 ohm stardust -is it possible my KGO fully charged it too much voltage for that ohm rating- was thinking about trying a lower ohm in the next order-how low could I go? I think the KGO fully charged is like 4.0-4.2v and 3.7 once it discharges some. What do you all think?

Yes that happened to a few people. One person I spoke to about it found out that if you take the top metal cap off (the one the mouthpiece screws into), you can put the oring back on the rim of the plastic tank, then put the metal cap back on to sandwich it between the 2. That's what she did and it fixed it. hth

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Hi Sugar.

Don't worry if a drop or two goes down the center tube. It's sort of an expressway to the coil, like dripping an atomizer. In fact when I finish filling the tank I send one drop down to the coil on purpose -- especially with a brand new unit. If that coil fires before the liquid has a chance to wick to it, you will get that burnt taste.

As mentioned above a controlled dry burn should fix that burnt taste. Worked for me.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Do you have to remove the silicon cap and the metal cap? I dunno but I did. Then I ran it under hot water and let it dry out a little. Reassemble and follow the vid below which is a cousin to the Stardust.

E2 cartomizer dry burn c-e2 - YouTube

Just understand that a dry burn is sort of a last resort. You can blow the coil out if you lay on the fire button too long. (but a gunked coil that makes everything taste burnt is useless anyway) I blow down inside the tube as I let it smolder -- dunno if that matters but I do. =)

Caution -- it can smell like hell
Caution 2 -- wear glasses of some sort if you look down the barrel, it can spatter.
Caution 3 -- lay off the gas pedal as soon as you see the coil glow red... don't shoot for an even redder coil cause it will soon be a dead coil. LOL

Last edited:

SCTony

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
South Carolina
I dry-burn mine after one or two tankfulls. It may reduce the lifespan, but i keep dry-burning (short bursts) until it quits smoking. Doing that seems to clean the wick as well as the coil. I do take them apart though so I can see whats happening. One comes apart rather easily and the other one I have is pretty difficult. I've had these about 3 weeks so far. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread