Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I read a post today form Libbydude about this same problem I have been having with *some* new RDAs. The posts holes are so big, trying to trap regular coils at thinner gauges results in either clipping the wire or the screws backing out.

Is this avoidable? Is this about the type of screws? Is this a problem becasue of the thinner gauge and the huge post holes? Any tips?

p.s. I typically have better luck with flat head screws or socket head/grub nuts on my RDAs. Damn near all my Phillips head screws are problematic for thinner gauge.

Reactions: Libbydude

Braaapp

Moved On
Feb 25, 2012
New Orleans, LA
I use a file or sandpaper to round out the bottom of problematic screws. If that doesn't help, I make the coil legs a little long and fold the extra length back over the leg where the screw clamps.

17383153004_5ed7ac3783.jpg

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I use a file or sandpaper to round out the bottom of problematic screws. If that doesn't help, I make the coil legs a little long and fold the extra length back over the leg where the screw clamps.

17383153004_5ed7ac3783.jpg

I actually tried the fold-over method last night (was just trying something!) -- but it was too late for me to get it right with thin wire. I will try again today. Thanks.

@Libbydude

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
I wish I was a machinist. I keep having pipe dreams about two post attys with captured screws and actual wire clamps. I wouldgive a c-note for that.
So would a ton of other people, myself included. I didn't realize until recently how sparse the 2 post atty market was. If someone comes up with a Petri/Holmes style atty with clamps versus screws, they are going to make a lot of cash. Something like that would be a hit in the temp control space. I'm crossing my fingers the Holmes v3 will be the 2 post atty I hope it will be (minus the clamp solution).

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
So would a ton of other people, myself included. I didn't realize until recently how sparse the 2 post atty market was. If someone comes up with a Petri/Holmes style atty with clamps versus screws, they are going to make a lot of cash. Something like that would be a hit in the temp control space. I'm crossing my fingers the Holmes v3 will be the 2 post atty I hope it will be (minus the clamp solution).

Not a two-post, but the absolute best connection I have ever gotten is on my 454 Big Block (using the ring). That is a great atty with no issue like this, but man can it be a bugger to build on. 2 Posts like you all are saying would be a whip!

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
If your screws are M2, M 2.5 or M3, fatdaddyvapes carries a grub screw package with all three sizes. If they are smaller than that, you just have to check the screws once in a while to make sure they are tight. It is a PITA, I know.

Very helpful! Thanks, @Taowulf . I wish the specs of the screws and such (like o-rings) were also included with all the other specs that these attys put out. I mean, c'mon! It is so easy to lose screws, and we get like what?! A couple extra? And on top of that, they so often suck! Simple things can make such a difference. But it's not about screws being lost or them not being able to be obtained, it's just flat-out rudimentary design flaws that we should be beyond (IMO).

Last edited:
Reactions: Taowulf

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
I'm no expert on attys at all...in fact I'm trying my first build tonite I just got the whole setup in the mail today

But as for losing screws just run to Napa auto parts or whatever auto parts dealer is local to you and grab a magnetic tray work over top of it if possible anything you drop that's metal will slap right to it ...while your there grab a thread checker ..line it up with the threads on your screw ...once you find the right one you know what you need to buy!

Reactions: Mr.Mann

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I'm no expert on attys at all...in fact I'm trying my first build tonite I just got the whole setup in the mail today

But as for losing screws just run to Napa auto parts or whatever auto parts dealer is local to you and grab a magnetic tray work over top of it if possible anything you drop that's metal will slap right to it ...while your there grab a thread checker ..line it up with the threads on your screw ...once you find the right one you know what you need to buy!

So is that where I can find these tiny screws? I have been trying to figure it out. I did order some from Fatdaddy. but I know I overpaid for something like that.

And one problem I have is that I have to rebuild whenever and where I ca ,so I am not always in the same spot. But, I get your point though. I got the REMatty a couple days ago and that atty comes with one extra screw -- and that's it! Bad. That atty originally was close to ~$80 and I don't think I should have to go searching anywhere to find little screws with the price it costs. Unfortunately we don't always know what is included until we buy it.

It is what it is.

Reactions: Mikedin

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
So is that where I can find these tiny screws? I have been trying to figure it out. I did order some from Fatdaddy. but I know I overpaid for something like that.

And one problem I have is that I have to rebuild whenever and where I ca ,so I am not always in the same spot. But, I get your point though. I got the REMatty a couple days ago and that atty comes with one extra screw -- and that's it! Bad. That atty originally was close to ~$80 and I don't think I should have to go searching anywhere to find little screws with the price it costs. Unfortunately we don't always know what is included until we buy it.

It is what it is.
Yeah you can try auto parts stores as they typically need a lot of small machine screws when it comes to vehicles you could also try Hobby store that specialize in flying model airplanes and gas powered rc cars

A computer store wouldn't hurt either to try

Reactions: Mr.Mann

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Nice! I just got my order from Fatdaddy and it seems like I got everything I need now to convert my atties all to grub-based (at least the ones that are not). I imagine that most screws for atties are M2, M2.5 and M3 becasue each one of those grub screws I got will fit at least one of my atties.

Last edited:

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
I'm a contractor and I just got my first mech not a professional on Vaping but in my field wether it be working with building a house or electrical or whatever I do on a daily basis one thing becomes apparent

When working with somthing usually no matter the brand /quality/price most objects have a standard that they adhere to 99% of the time Going by that you can usually anticipate to a tolerance what somthing will be wether it be a furnace a garage door an air conditioner or in this case an atty

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I'm a contractor and I just got my first mech not a professional on Vaping but in my field wether it be working with building a house or electrical or whatever I do on a daily basis one thing becomes apparent

When working with somthing usually no matter the brand /quality/price most objects have a standard that they adhere to 99% of the time Going by that you can usually anticipate to a tolerance what somthing will be wether it be a furnace a garage door an air conditioner or in this case an atty

That's what I am seeing. It's weird looking at the grub screws that will fit in place of some of the Phillips head screws becasue they seem SO VERY tiny compared to the Phillips head. Luckily I got all the necessary allen keys, but damn those things are tiny: think Snubnose and Hobo RDAs.

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
I thought grubs screws and set screws were the same thing?
yes they are they all seem cheap tho on fasttech they sell 20 set screws for 1.50 or you can buy 100 phhillips screws for 2.99

all in all very cheap id go with the set screws (or grubs whatever you want to call them ) even though there the moe expensive ones they seem like they make for a cleaner looking setup (at least to me, each has their own prefrence ) i know my tobeco orchid v3 came with phillips screws pre installed in the deck but the extras bag had the set screws as replacements

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sanding off the edges of the bottom of the screws is an option. You could also try wrapping the leg around the top of the screw, then tightening this down.

Rounding the Bottom of a Machine Screw will definitely help to hold a Small diameter wire in a Post Hole. But it can be a PITA sometimes to do without Hosing up the Threads on the Screw.

Whenever you work on the End of a Thread, here is a Little Trick.

Put a Nut or enough Nuts on the Screw Thread to cover the Section of the Thread you Don't want Damaged. Then File Away. Or Chuck the Head of the Machine Screw in a Drill and "Mini Lathe" the end.

Then when your done, removing the Nuts will "Chase" the Thread. And Most Times knock off any burrs left from Filing/Sanding.

Working down on the M2 or M2.5 Level is a Drag. And I would Always Buying Something before Filling or Sanding. But if a Person has to, the Nut over the Thread Trick comes in Very Handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread