Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

erickv

Jan 22, 2015
ok I got a ipv mini 30w and I just got a troll rda. Since the ipv tells the ohms I didn't bother buying a ohms meter. Well I tried doing my first build, 5/64 drill bit 5 wraps of 26g kanthal and it came to .6 ohms. Then when I put some cotton and fired it the ohms went all over the place. From that .6 it went to like 3.3 then it went to .03 and now it's at .8. What the hell is going on? I don't want to blow my face off here haha

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
OK, great. It should be at around .6 like you first measured. caferacer is probably correct in that you just need to make sure your screws are tight. But also be carful that the coil is not touching the deck anywhere or the barrel or any posts...

Does your IPV give ohm readings with two decimal places? Once you start getting into this more, it will be useful to have a standalone resistance meter.

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
OK, great. It should be at around .6 like you first measured. caferacer is probably correct in that you just need to make sure your screws are tight. But also be carful that the coil is not touching the deck anywhere or the barrel or any posts...

Does your IPV give ohm readings with two decimal places? Once you start getting into this more, it will be useful to have a standalone resistance meter.

FYI, the IPV Mini 30W only reads resistance to one decimal place.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
FYI, the IPV Mini 30W only reads resistance to one decimal place.
In that case, OP should probably get one before starting to build lower. Especially with sub-ohm coils, something like .28 is quite different from something like .21. I don't know how it works on the IPV, but on a mech mod thats a power difference of more than 20 watts.

Jbwrecked

Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Definitely watch those shorts. Built a dual 28 gauge 10 wrap and saw .96 ohms. But then swapped mods and touched the build deck on the Freakshow (by the high airholes) and shorted out. As soon as I fired it lit up like a lightbulb. Kinda scary but luckily nothing worse happened. Good luck to! And check those tightening screws!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread