Herbal Extract E-Juice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcnesmith

Oct 13, 2008
Inner Earth
Hello guys!

I have a very interesting topic to discuss with you today, and I wanted any feedback that anyone could give.

First point I want to make, is I am not addicted to nicotine (anymore), but I just love smoking, so the e-liquid that I make is all non-nicotine.

First I will give you some background information for you guys to better understand what I am aiming for. There is a herb called Blue Lotus that (when smoked) gives a very mild euphoric feeling. I have taken these herbs and made tinctures out of them (alcohol + herb + 6 weeks = tincture) which is just a concentrate of the herb.

So my question, and experiment is how on Earth am I going to get this concentrate into my e-liquid mix.

Here is my idea:
put 50% tincture to 50% boiling water (to evaporate the alcohol content). Then I let it cool and then I have water with the active ingredients of blue lotus in it. Then I could make 50% propylene glycol and 20% glycerin, 10% flavoring, and the remaining 20% as the concentrated herb extract (water containing blue lotus actives).

So in theory, by vaping this e-liquid, I should obtain a very mild euphoric feeling... right?

If this works it is going to be killer! (In a good way) :evil:

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A fool on the hill in Deposit, NY
I've been thinking about using tinctures myself... I think some folks have already tried it - doesn't Nhale sell something called "Lung Juice" with herbs in it? I was going to try it...

But, anyway, why would you have to evaporate alcohol first? I thought some alcohol is fine in e-juice. Don't people mix vodka with it for the extra throat hit on low or no-nic stuff?

Just wondering.

Briar.

wcnesmith

Oct 13, 2008
Inner Earth
Cool, I did not know that alcohol was okay to inhale (or good for the atomizer). I can make some very tasty e-liquid with the herbal extract, I do LOTS of tinctures. This will be fun to experiment with.

BTW Curtis, the amount of tincture you would use to make the e-liquid would be almost nothing, so if you waste a little it does not matter. These things get made by the 500ml or so, so who cares if a batch turns out bad, make another one better with little cost to you.

For example, blue lotus taste awesome in smoke form, but disgusting in tincture form. I might have to use a different herb other than blue lotus.

I like the throat kick, but can I verify that it is okay to inhale with 20% of the mix being 50% ethanol? I want to remain healthy.

Harry Crazington

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
Las Vegas
I like the throat kick, but can I verify that it is okay to inhale with 20% of the mix being 50% ethanol? I want to remain healthy.

Well there's a company selling an Alcohol Vaporizer used as a substitute to drinking alcohol. So if it's safe to inhale 100% alcohol then your mixture should be ok.

wcnesmith

Oct 13, 2008
Inner Earth
I have lots. Chamomile is on the list. I have about 50 or so herbs to play with, so I will update you on how some of them go. It could be interesting to get a mild high just by vaping the e-cigarette! :)

EDIT: Blue Lotus (which taste good as a smoke, but tastes bad as a tincture, so I will have to cover that taste up), Damiana will taste good, Pink Lotus will be interesting, and many others. Even a hops one would be cool.

I have glycerin, but I find PG much better on the atomizers so tomorrow I am going to the store to get some PG.

Last edited:

wcnesmith

Oct 13, 2008
Inner Earth
SLDS181: hold off on trying stuff, unless you just want to, because I am going to be playing with it heavily over the next two weeks. Just keep watching this thread and I will have something for you.

Naïve question: Why go through that long drawn out process to create a bad-tasting tincture. Why not just mix up that good-tasting lotus herb directly with the PG and/or VG? If not already in a powder form, grind it up until it is.

Good question, but with these tinctures you can make some CRAZY concentrates. So instead of just getting a mild euphoric feeling, you might actually get a little bit of a high. As far as bad tasting tinctures, that is only Blue Lotus that I have to think about. All of my other tinctures seem to taste either so-so or great. These concentrates I stick LOTS of herb into the ethanol, and over six weeks they are very very potent.

If you want just a nice tasting herb vap that takes the edge off, what you have described will work. If you want a high then theoretically, the tincture way is the way to go.

Fredrick

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2009
South Florida (Broward County)
If you can get around 3-6 grams(dry weight) worth of lotus, down to a mangable amount for a cartridge, it shouldn't be a problem. That is the average neccesary oral dosage ,with alcohol, to feel the effects you are looking for. Although, the dosage may be different when brought in through the respritory system. It used to just put me to sleep when taken orally, but it was a fun fight to stay awake. The sleep is good though, very refreshing. If you can get this to work, I would be interested in your recipe/method, seeing as how I have issues with sleep. I would tinker with it myself, but I no longer have the facilities I need to do it.

wcnesmith

Oct 13, 2008
Inner Earth
It might have been passionflower, but I could have sworn it was blue lotus. Who knows, it was about ten years ago, and at the time I was exploring alot of naturally occuring alkaloids. I wish I still had those journals.

It could of been Blue Lotus too. Different herbs have different affects on different people. All of our body chemistry is made up differently. Blue Lotus takes the edge off (way more than a cigarette) when smoked for most people. If it puts you to sleep then that is cool. Not the norm, but it is not bad if you have sleeping problems.

But this is going to be fun. I just got 5 liters of PG...

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread