here are recommendations for new vapers looking to purchase MOD RDA RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
Or those looking to upgrade.

I spent a lot of hours the last week+ learning all about new(er) products. Tomorrow Aug 8th I don't know what will happen with regulations but I'm ready to order today. I've been vaping since around 2012. A year or so into it, after using things like Ego twist MODs and Kanger Protank, I got a Hana DNA30 clone box mod and a sinlge coil drip tank and haven't really looked at gear until recently.

This info is useful to vapers who think along the same lines as me, and hopefully I can help save you time deciding what to buy.

For the main MOD, I went with the Reuleaux DNA200. It's a large mod with long battery life for all types of coil builds.
I didn't get the cheaper RX200 or RX200S or RX2/3 as my main MOD. The reason was for the DNA board being able to safely USB charge (and discharge while you vape) instead of having to use a seperate charger with the RX - which actually still doesn't help that the RX doesn't discharge evenly throughout the 3 batteries as you vape. There is tons of reuleaux dna200 vs RX200 info but some things about the charging etc I try tp sum up in previous threads I made:

Wismec Reuleaux DNA200 onboard USB charging safe? Still should Rotate batteries? - Evolv DNA Forum
http://..................com/thread...iple-18650-that-can-safely-usb-charge.262107/
Are there any 100W+ TC dual/triple 18650 that can safely USB charge?

http://..................com/thread...200w-tc-triple-3-18650-and-dual-18650.261686/
recommendation 200W Dual and Triple 18650 TC (with screws not magnets?)
Exact batteries for .15 coils? And a second set for higher ohm builds. Please

To somewhat summarize, what I read from a credible source (at least they seem) in one of those links (possibly to another link) is that the RX doesn't evenly discharge or USB charge the 3 batteries which can be unsafe (vent or explode worst case scenario). But the person says that the RX chip will stop charging when the highest battery reaches max volts allowed (the others may be far from being done charging but it won't keep charging any of them because the battery that maxed out triggered the chip to stop charging all). You can check the voltage of all 3 batteries with the MOD and I think the magic number you never want to see more than a difference of is .3 Volts between battereis. I have read plenty of people post they had differences close to .3 volts with the RX but I don't think I read one where there was actually more than that. Also when discharging (when you vape), when the lowest battery reaches the minimum, it will stop letting you vape eventhough the other batteries might still have more energy. Basically, you can charge the batteries in the safest external charger you want but when you vape them in an RX, it still won't discharge them all evenly (never want to be more than .3 Volts different is the magic number if I'm not mistaken). The DNA200 chip does discharge and USB charging as well as high end chargers from what I've read (people check them on external multimeters etc and are not only reying on the DNA's built-in volt checker which is also probably extremely accurate).
Also, the DNA is just much better all around, more accurate with Temp controll if you get into that , etc etc, although it might require some learning of the escribe software to tweak things. I would also think that the DNA is much less likely to fry from some user error or something.

I did however also order a Reuleaux RX2/3. This is the version you can put three or two batteries in (would only get 133 or 150 watts with 2 batteries, I forget which, but 133 is plenty for more than enough for most vapers). Because I need a back up device that can handle the tanks etc I bought. And I wasn't about to spend another $150ish for a second DNA200. The RX 2/3 I got on fasttech for ~$42 shipped. The RX200S is slightly better than the RX200 original, and the RX2/3 is nice to have in case the 3 18650 is too big sometimes. I was very close to getting a Hcigar VT133 for my back up MOD (has a DNA 200 with two 18650s) but the battery door is stupidly easy to slip off from what I've seen.

There are also plenty of non-DNA 100-200W chips (and DNA chips) in MODs that you can safely USB charge because these mods use a single Lipo pack battery or a single 18650 instead of two or three 18650s (in SERIES is the magic word where the balancing between multiple batteries becomes important). But these lipo packs have quite low battery life (only like 4,000 mAh, but you can put 3X 3,000 mAh 18650s in a reuleaux for 9,000 mAhs). Maybe it's over my head buy I'm baffled why some brands don't just make a MOD with one big lipo pack (wouldn't it actually be smaller than 3X 18650s due to the shells?) and then since it's a single battery, they can get away with USB charging with their shady chips that can't handle balanced charging or discharging. The cost would be cheap because of the chips, and universal replacement lipo packs in 9 months or cost about the same as three batteries. And possibly the USB can zip charge at full 1-2Amp like some lipo mods do, so it doesn't even warrant an external charger's faster speed by much.

I'm not sure if you even have to rotate the 3 (or 2) batteries in a DNA200 MOD. Rotating is suggeted in case one battery slot/terminal takes most of the energy/discharging which should be evenly rotated between the batteries but might not be, especially in the DNA, but not the RX. Many people don't rotate with a DNA and say they never had a problem or discrepancy of nearly .3 volts, but many people suggest to rotate. My link to the evolv forum (the makers of the DNA chips), maybe someone will give concrete proof if it's needed or not. Again, I think maybe all this means is if a multimeter never shows the batteries more than .3 volts apart, or anywhere near that much difference would be better. The only problem with rotating the batteries in the DNA 200 is there's safety rings over the battery terminals to prevent people from putting them in backwards, and these can rip at the batteries, so they have to be rotated very carefully which cna become a chore. I read just taking them out is a hassle and might require a guitar pick (or something similar in plastic, not metal) to pop them out. Some people even cut the rings out with a razor but I don't recommend that unles you're super careful not to damage the battery connections. There's also another "trick" with the DNA and RX Reuleaux about opening the device and tucking the screen ribbon cable away from the fire button which presses right on it and can eventually require the ribbon to need replacing. It's a pretty simple trick and there are videos but do at your own risk.

Whichever you get, if you get something with more than 1 battery, "marry" those batteries together which means buy the same brand new and use them only for that MOD. If you get the RX 2/3 I have read credible sources (someone on pbusardo's blog, I assume is credible enough) that you CAN rotate a set of three and use two of the three when in dual mode but that you should also rotate them when they go back as tripple mode. In other words, you don't need a set of two and a set of three battereis for the RX2/3. The third cell that wasn't needed for dual mode should be rotated with one that was used in dual mode when you recharge it still in dual mode, and then the one that was in the MOD for dual mode that wasn't changed out yet should be rotated out thenext time and so on and so forth (or maybe every second or third time you charge is good enough, I don't know). Batteries are pretty cheap though so maybe it's easier to just get a set of two and a set of 3. I think the DNA will come out with a 2/3 version (and I would just usb charge it) but I wanted to order the RX 2/3 backup MOD before aug 8th regulations just in case. I already have a 2 bay nitecore charger I would use for the RX instead of its onboard USB charging if shjt hits the fan with my DNA200. But as I mentioned, the RX probably won't discharge them evenly so it's only half the risk of using the RX to also charge them.

TANKs:
I got a vaporesso gemini RTA for $19.99 shipped. You have to build the coils for this. It's quite easy. I think they make a version you just pop premade coils in but you most likely get better hits and performance just building coils, not to mention they cost like 4 cents each to make. I got ceramic tweazers on ebay for like $3 from china. You'll see why if you need to watch some tutorals for building coils. I bought a 15 foot roll of fused clapton wire for $9 shipped. I got it as all kanthal because I don't know how to use other metals in temp controll (TC) yet such as stainless steel which suposidly gives cleaner flavor, but kanthal claptons are liked by many.

The gemini is very similar to the griffin and Aromamizer which are all top notch rtas. I chose the gemini though for a few reasons pointed out here
Griffin 25

I try to get all my tanks as plain silver stainless because I like to think it's safer. I don't want any unnecessary paint or anything near my vape. I prefer 316L stainless because it's the same grade as the bolts they'd put in someone's knee or something like that. The Kayfun V5 that I list below, the authentic is $120 and is 316L. The clone I decided to get instead for like $25 claims to be 316L (but who would really know if they lied?), but I don't know if there's much reason for cloners to lie as if 316L is even that much more expensive than other grades of stainless. I don't know all the specifics on metals and safety. I have read vaping doesn't even get hot enough to react with anything like even if there was lead in brass coil posts but I like to hope that 316L or other plain stainless are a bit saferr. The coil material is of course probably the most important aspect. I don't like lots of o-rings in the tanks or anything like that like plastic 510 drip tip adapters vs metal ones. Drip tips I read the common black plastic POM (Polyoxymethylene) material "produce toxic formaldehyde gas whether heated or mechanically abraded" if you just google "Polyoxymethylene Formaldehyde" and it has nothing to do with anti-vaping. Does it actually do that when vaping? I don't know but POM stays cool when vaping gets hot (such as large clapton coils) hence why POM is a popular drip tip. I would prefer instead a thick pyrex 510 drip tip or a 316L. I didn't find a 316L yet. It's not getting that hot though, it's like saying don't cook in a stainless steel pan unless it's 316L.

I got a smok tfv8 for $20 shipped, only to use the gigantic octa coils that are premade for the time being. The RBA deck it includes that you can buid on, I would be better using my Vaporesso Gemini because it's basically the same thing except the Gemini has juice flow and top air flow. And has two small holes in the center of the build deck that pull air in from the center which might make it "better" than if they weren't there. I just want something right away that I can't mess up that will give huge clouds so I got the TFV8. Maybe the premade octa coils do give bigger vapor than a dual or quad fused clapton in a drip tank but I don't plan on dishing out for premade TFV8 octa coils (and the prices might go up for USA vapers).
That's the thing with all these tanks, there are very slight differences between everything, and there are so many, so it takes a while to narrow everything down. And I probably missed even some of the popular ones for my comparisons but I'm overall very satisfied with my choices.

I also wanted a tank that can do single coils in case the dual coils are too much vapor sometimes. You can probably build duals in a certain way that they aren't, but whatever, I got a single coil tank just inc case. You can definitely build a single in the gemini or the TFV8. They have a Velocity style deck which IMHO is probably the best so far, and Velocity deck easily allows thick coils wire like fused claptons. If you google Velovity single coil image search you can see how to easily make a single coil in a velocity through the center of the posts. But with tanks that are meant for dual coils, using a single means it would pull air from all sides instead of just one side. Which isn't necessarly a bad thing, and actually might be good, but possibly when using one coil, you would need to close the air holes up quite a bit and end up with an annoying whistle. I will try it though. Some velocity style RTAs/RBAs include a plastic insert to block off one side but that's just adding more plastics etc I try to stay away from. I think the material is the same peak insulator all tanks have around the 510 pin but it's like a big chunk of plastic to block off half the tank (and it makes the coil smaller than doing one through the center of a velocity deck). So I did a bunch of research and settled on the Kayfun V5 clone for single coils.

RDA:
For RDA drip tanks, I like to hope they give better juicy-coil hits vs relying on wicks to soak up juice in a tank style.
Also want to point out that most of the drip tanks nowadays are essentially just top coil tanks like the old genesis but with a smaller juice well. The RDA I use now is a simple two post one air hole I drilled out a bit. I build them so that the coil is as low to the deck without touching so the juice soaks up quicker to the coil. With modern RDAs with deep juice wells, you can't bend the coil down that far so it's almost touching the deck. In other words, you can drip into the tank and the coil will get well soaked and the first hit or two will be perfect but after that, it's just a top coil genesis as the coil relies on the wicks to bring the juice up. The performance might be better on an RTA like the gemini because the juice flows in sideways into the coil chamber and the coil is right there (like a protank V1 does) vs the juice having to travel all the way up the wicks from a deep juice well. In other words though, just don't plan on using an RDA to soak up all the juice from a deep well (some RDAs can hold 2.5ml+ of juice which is a lot). Just take the first great puffs and then redrip I would think. At least that's what makes sense to me on paper. I never even used a sub ohm modern RDA, and all the experienced vapors probably love them but I'm just pointing this out.

One RDA I chose is the Tsunami rda 24mm. Authentic is about $25. It has adjustable bottom air flow that comes up under the coils instead of air from the sides. And you can close one side off and use single coil (on one side of the velocity deck vs a single through the center of it). Is bottom air flow better than side air flow? I don't know but I hope so because the trade off is that you have to be a bit careful when you drip onto the coils that you don't let juice get down the air holes and leak out the bottom and possibly then into your mod's 510. Tsunami has a metal threaded adapter to use whatever 510 you want. I never used an airy atomizer and these big cloud attys are like giant straws to me so I like the option of using something more restrictive if needed. There are RDAs that have both side and bottom air flow such as Mutation XS RDA and Hatty RDA, and you can choose to close off one or the other completely (possibly) but I don't think I found one that has both side and bottom air flows plus a Velocity style deck (and a 510 adapter, or the option to close off one side to do a single coil on the "side" of the velocity to avoid possible whistle) which I think I'll much prefer the velocity over the chance that side + bottom airflow actually "increases flavor".

Another RDA I got was a Velocity V2 RDA clone. This is where the original Velocty style deck comes from, and I would love to support the makers of this but I chose instead to get a clone for like $15 vs the authentic is like $125 for whatever reason. Both are allegidly 304 stainless, which again, might not be any reason for cloners to lie and give you cheap poisoned metal or something if it's even any much cheaper than regular 304.
It can do a single coil but it should be though the center of the velocity which may or may not make it an annoying whistler if you need to decrease the holes all around the cap for a single coil, and it may or may not improve or degrade the vape flavor etc vs having one coil on the side with only air holes on that side such as can be done with the Tsunami I'm getting. The main reason for the Velocity is there's no bottom air holes, so I can just drip a good amount of juice on the coils and not worry about it leaking out the bottom. Will I notice any difference between the Tsunami with bottom airflow vs the Velocity with adjustable side flow? I don't know. I'm not very good at detecting these minute things and I think a lot of testimonies for such are sort of placebo affect.
Edit: actually I didn't get the Velocity V2. I saw no reason since I got the Mad Hatter V2 listed below (got tow of those, one from china cheaper as a back up, and one from USA so I can get it sooner). The real V2 has two alignment tabs on the cap so you can more easily pop the cap back on so that the tabs lock the air flow. The clones don't have two from what I saw, which isn't really a big deal but thought I'd mention it. Also the Velocity clones it's kind of hard to tell which come with a separate regular 510 connection pin and which come with the Squonk hollow core for bottom feeding juice with squonk. Some have a mini pin that closes off the hollow core which might get fiddly. I just saw no reason to get one considering the Mad Hatters specs even though the clones are like $8 on fasttech.

Last RDA I got was the Mad Hatter V2. Authentic for around $25. Velocity deck. Adjustable Side air flow only. Basically the same thing as the Velocity V2 but the Mad Hatter has a great feature, a hinged top cap. I am a bit of a germaphone when I'm out and about. I don't like putting my hands all over RDA drip tips to pull it or the cap off to re drip. If the coil is ran through the center of a velocity deck, and if I end up using a really wide drip tip, then I can just drip down the drip tip onto the coil, but otherwise, I pull the cap off and drip which gets annoying, and have to touch the drip tip. With the Mad Hatter, all you have to do is just pop the hinged cap up and drip. I plan to just do this with my mouth and not have to put hands on the atty at all. The thing I don't like about the finned heat sink 510 drip tip it comes with is those fins are likely to get all filled with crud you can't easily clean out, but it comes with another tip or two and a 510 adapter to use whatever 510 you want.

I also got some 510 heatsinks from fasttech for like $1 in case I have 510 connection problems with any atty/mod combinations and also for their purpose in case certain attys get too hot. Stainless seems to be the most popular but I did some googling if aluminum works better for heat dispersion and read

Thermal Conductivity of Metals
The top 4:
Silver 429
Copper 401
Gold 310
Aluminum 250

And for comparison
Stainless Steel 16

stainless vs aluminium heat sink - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

so I got the copper one
$1.71 510 Finned Heat Sink for Atomizers - copper / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
But also the stainless in case I need for some reason those notches on the top and in case the copper one gets damaged and I need a back up.
$1.61 510 Heat Dissipation Heat Sink for Atomizers - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

and also an 18mm one they have in case I need to use my back up back up hana DNA30 clone box, it has a recess near the 510 that is only about 22mm and might prevent larger attys from making a connection. I think they have 510 extenders but I couldn't easily find one. I shouldn't need this though but just got it jus tin case.

narrow bore 316 drip top (not 316L)
$1.46 316 Stainless Steel 510 Drip Tip for Kayfun Mini V3 RTA - 17mm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Wider bore 316 drip tip (not 316L)
$1.48 316 Stainless Steel 510 Drip Tip - 15mm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Aluminum drip tips
$0.87 Aluminum Drip Tip for 510 / ViVi Nova / DCT - silver at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$1.23 Bullet Style Aluminum Drip Tip for 510 / ViVi Nova / DCT at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Glass 510 tip
$2.09 Glass 510 Drip Tip - small / 28*12mm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

This was a long read but if you think along the same lines as me, I saved you all the hours it took me to figure this all out. And thanks again to those who helped me in my threads. Take care.

Last edited:

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Or those looking to upgrade.

I spent a lot of hours the last week+ learning all about new(er) products. Tomorrow Aug 8th I don't know what will happen with regulations but I'm ready to order today. I've been vaping since around 2012. A year or so into it, after using things like Ego twist MODs and Kanger Protank, I got a Hana DNA30 clone box mod and a sinlge coil drip tank and haven't really looked at gear until recently.

This info is useful to vapers who think along the same lines as me, and hopefully I can help save you time deciding what to buy.

For the main MOD, I went with the Reuleaux DNA200. It's a large mod with long battery life for all types of coil builds.
I didn't get the cheaper RX200 or RX200S or RX2/3 as my main MOD. The reason was for the DNA board being able to safely USB charge (and discharge while you vape) instead of having to use a seperate charger with the RX - which actually still doesn't help that the RX doesn't discharge evenly throughout the 3 batteries as you vape. There is tons of reuleaux dna200 vs RX200 info but some things about the charging etc I try tp sum up in previous threads I made:

Wismec Reuleaux DNA200 onboard USB charging safe? Still should Rotate batteries? - Evolv DNA Forum
http://..................com/thread...iple-18650-that-can-safely-usb-charge.262107/
Are there any 100W+ TC dual/triple 18650 that can safely USB charge?

http://..................com/thread...200w-tc-triple-3-18650-and-dual-18650.261686/
recommendation 200W Dual and Triple 18650 TC (with screws not magnets?)
Exact batteries for .15 coils? And a second set for higher ohm builds. Please

To somewhat summarize, what I read from a credible source (at least they seem) in one of those links (possibly to another link) is that the RX doesn't evenly discharge or USB charge the 3 batteries which can be unsafe (vent or explode worst case scenario). But the person says that the RX chip will stop charging when the highest battery reaches max volts allowed (the others may be far from being done charging but it won't keep charging any of them because the battery that maxed out triggered the chip to stop charging all). You can check the voltage of all 3 batteries with the MOD and I think the magic number you never want to see more than a difference of is .3 Volts between battereis. I have read plenty of people post they had differences close to .3 volts with the RX but I don't think I read one where there was actually more than that. Also when discharging (when you vape), when the lowest battery reaches the minimum, it will stop letting you vape eventhough the other batteries might still have more energy. Basically, you can charge the batteries in the safest external charger you want but when you vape them in an RX, it still won't discharge them all evenly (never want to be more than .3 Volts different is the magic number if I'm not mistaken). The DNA200 chip does discharge and USB charging as well as high end chargers from what I've read (people check them on external multimeters etc and are not only reying on the DNA's built-in volt checker which is also probably extremely accurate).
Also, the DNA is just much better all around, more accurate with Temp controll if you get into that , etc etc, although it might require some learning of the escribe software to tweak things. I would also think that the DNA is much less likely to fry from some user error or something.

I did however also order a Reuleaux RX2/3. This is the version you can put three or two batteries in (would only get 133 or 150 watts with 2 batteries, I forget which, but 133 is plenty for more than enough for most vapers). Because I need a back up device that can handle the tanks etc I bought. And I wasn't about to spend another $150ish for a second DNA200. The RX 2/3 I got on fasttech for ~$42 shipped. The RX200S is slightly better than the RX200 original, and the RX2/3 is nice to have in case the 3 18650 is too big sometimes. I was very close to getting a Hcigar VT133 for my back up MOD (has a DNA 200 with two 18650s) but the battery door is stupidly easy to slip off from what I've seen.

There are also plenty of non-DNA 100-200W chips (and DNA chips) in MODs that you can safely USB charge because these mods use a single Lipo pack battery or a single 18650 instead of two or three 18650s (in SERIES is the magic word where the balancing between multiple batteries becomes important). But these lipo packs have quite low battery life (only like 4,000 mAh, but you can put 3X 3,000 mAh 18650s in a reuleaux for 9,000 mAhs). Maybe it's over my head buy I'm baffled why some brands don't just make a MOD with one big lipo pack (wouldn't it actually be smaller than 3X 18650s due to the shells?) and then since it's a single battery, they can get away with USB charging with their shady chips that can't handle balanced charging or discharging. The cost would be cheap because of the chips, and universal replacement lipo packs in 9 months or cost about the same as three batteries. And possibly the USB can zip charge at full 1-2Amp like some lipo mods do, so it doesn't even warrant an external charger's faster speed by much.

I'm not sure if you even have to rotate the 3 (or 2) batteries in a DNA200 MOD. Rotating is suggeted in case one battery slot/terminal takes most of the energy/discharging which should be evenly rotated between the batteries but might not be, especially in the DNA, but not the RX. Many people don't rotate with a DNA and say they never had a problem or discrepancy of nearly .3 volts, but many people suggest to rotate. My link to the evolv forum (the makers of the DNA chips), maybe someone will give concrete proof if it's needed or not. Again, I think maybe all this means is if a multimeter never shows the batteries more than .3 volts apart, or anywhere near that much difference would be better. The only problem with rotating the batteries in the DNA 200 is there's safety rings over the battery terminals to prevent people from putting them in backwards, and these can rip at the batteries, so they have to be rotated very carefully which cna become a chore. I read just taking them out is a hassle and might require a guitar pick (or something similar in plastic, not metal) to pop them out. Some people even cut the rings out with a razor but I don't recommend that unles you're super careful not to damage the battery connections. There's also another "trick" with the DNA and RX Reuleaux about opening the device and tucking the screen ribbon cable away from the fire button which presses right on it and can eventually require the ribbon to need replacing. It's a pretty simple trick and there are videos but do at your own risk.

Whichever you get, if you get something with more than 1 battery, "marry" those batteries together which means buy the same brand new and use them only for that MOD. If you get the RX 2/3 I have read credible sources (someone on pbusardo's blog, I assume is credible enough) that you CAN rotate a set of three and use two of the three when in dual mode but that you should also rotate them when they go back as tripple mode. In other words, you don't need a set of two and a set of three battereis for the RX2/3. The third cell that wasn't needed for dual mode should be rotated with one that was used in dual mode when you recharge it still in dual mode, and then the one that was in the MOD for dual mode that wasn't changed out yet should be rotated out thenext time and so on and so forth (or maybe every second or third time you charge is good enough, I don't know). Batteries are pretty cheap though so maybe it's easier to just get a set of two and a set of 3. I think the DNA will come out with a 2/3 version (and I would just usb charge it) but I wanted to order the RX 2/3 backup MOD before aug 8th regulations just in case. I already have a 2 bay nitecore charger I would use for the RX instead of its onboard USB charging if shjt hits the fan with my DNA200. But as I mentioned, the RX probably won't discharge them evenly so it's only half the risk of using the RX to also charge them.

TANKs:
I got a vaporesso gemini RTA for $19.99 shipped. You have to build the coils for this. It's quite easy. I think they make a version you just pop premade coils in but you most likely get better hits and performance just building coils, not to mention they cost like 4 cents each to make. I got ceramic tweazers on ebay for like $3 from china. You'll see why if you need to watch some tutorals for building coils. I bought a 15 foot roll of fused clapton wire for $9 shipped. I got it as all kanthal because I don't know how to use other metals in temp controll (TC) yet such as stainless steel which suposidly gives cleaner flavor, but kanthal claptons are liked by many.

The gemini is very similar to the griffin and Aromamizer which are all top notch rtas. I chose the gemini though for a few reasons pointed out here
Griffin 25

I try to get all my tanks as plain silver stainless because I like to think it's safer. I don't want any unnecessary paint or anything near my vape. I prefer 316L stainless because it's the same grade as the bolts they'd put in someone's knee or something like that. The Kayfun V5 that I list below, the authentic is $120 and is 316L. The clone I decided to get instead for like $25 claims to be 316L (but who would really know if they lied?), but I don't know if there's much reason for cloners to lie as if 316L is even that much more expensive than other grades of stainless. I don't know all the specifics on metals and safety. I have read vaping doesn't even get hot enough to react with anything like even if there was lead in brass coil posts but I like to hope that 316L or other plain stainless are a bit saferr. The coil material is of course probably the most important aspect. I don't like lots of o-rings in the tanks or anything like that like plastic 510 drip tip adapters vs metal ones. Drip tips I read the common black plastic POM (Polyoxymethylene) material "produce toxic formaldehyde gas whether heated or mechanically abraded" if you just google "Polyoxymethylene Formaldehyde" and it has nothing to do with anti-vaping. Does it actually do that when vaping? I don't know but POM stays cool when vaping gets hot (such as large clapton coils) hence why POM is a popular drip tip. I would prefer instead a thick pyrex 510 drip tip or a 316L. I didn't find a 316L yet. It's not getting that hot though, it's like saying don't cook in a stainless steel pan unless it's 316L.

I got a smok tfv8 for $20 shipped, only to use the gigantic octa coils that are premade for the time being. The RBA deck it includes that you can buid on, I would be better using my Vaporesso Gemini because it's basically the same thing except the Gemini has juice flow and top air flow. And has two small holes in the center of the build deck that pull air in from the center which might make it "better" than if they weren't there. I just want something right away that I can't mess up that will give huge clouds so I got the TFV8. Maybe the premade octa coils do give bigger vapor than a dual or quad fused clapton in a drip tank but I don't plan on dishing out for premade TFV8 octa coils (and the prices might go up for USA vapers).
That's the thing with all these tanks, there are very slight differences between everything, and there are so many, so it takes a while to narrow everything down. And I probably missed even some of the popular ones for my comparisons but I'm overall very satisfied with my choices.

I also wanted a tank that can do single coils in case the dual coils are too much vapor sometimes. You can probably build duals in a certain way that they aren't, but whatever, I got a single coil tank just inc case. You can definitely build a single in the gemini or the TFV8. They have a Velocity style deck which IMHO is probably the best so far, and Velocity deck easily allows thick coils wire like fused claptons. If you google Velovity single coil image search you can see how to easily make a single coil in a velocity through the center of the posts. But with tanks that are meant for dual coils, using a single means it would pull air from all sides instead of just one side. Which isn't necessarly a bad thing, and actually might be good, but possibly when using one coil, you would need to close the air holes up quite a bit and end up with an annoying whistle. I will try it though. Some velocity style RTAs/RBAs include a plastic insert to block off one side but that's just adding more plastics etc I try to stay away from. I think the material is the same peak insulator all tanks have around the 510 pin but it's like a big chunk of plastic to block off half the tank (and it makes the coil smaller than doing one through the center of a velocity deck). So I did a bunch of research and settled on the Kayfun V5 clone for single coils.

RDA:
For RDA drip tanks, I like to hope they give better juicy-coil hits vs relying on wicks to soak up juice in a tank style.
Also want to point out that most of the drip tanks nowadays are essentially just top coil tanks like the old genesis but with a smaller juice well. The RDA I use now is a simple two post one air hole I drilled out a bit. I build them so that the coil is as low to the deck without touching so the juice soaks up quicker to the coil. With modern RDAs with deep juice wells, you can't bend the coil down that far so it's almost touching the deck. In other words, you can drip into the tank and the coil will get well soaked and the first hit or two will be perfect but after that, it's just a top coil genesis as the coil relies on the wicks to bring the juice up. The performance might be better on an RTA like the gemini because the juice flows in sideways into the coil chamber and the coil is right there (like a protank V1 does) vs the juice having to travel all the way up the wicks from a deep juice well. In other words though, just don't plan on using an RDA to soak up all the juice from a deep well (some RDAs can hold 2.5ml+ of juice which is a lot). Just take the first great puffs and then redrip I would think. At least that's what makes sense to me on paper. I never even used a sub ohm modern RDA, and all the experienced vapors probably love them but I'm just pointing this out.

One RDA I chose is the Tsunami rda 24mm. Authentic is about $25. It has adjustable bottom air flow that comes up under the coils instead of air from the sides. And you can close one side off and use single coil (on one side of the velocity deck vs a single through the center of it). Is bottom air flow better than side air flow? I don't know but I hope so because the trade off is that you have to be a bit careful when you drip onto the coils that you don't let juice get down the air holes and leak out the bottom and possibly then into your mod's 510. Tsunami has a metal threaded adapter to use whatever 510 you want. I never used an airy atomizer and these big cloud attys are like giant straws to me so I like the option of using something more restrictive if needed. There are RDAs that have both side and bottom air flow such as Mutation XS RDA and Hatty RDA, and you can choose to close off one or the other completely (possibly) but I don't think I found one that has both side and bottom air flows plus a Velocity style deck (and a 510 adapter, or the option to close off one side to do a single coil on the "side" of the velocity to avoid possible whistle) which I think I'll much prefer the velocity over the chance that side + bottom airflow actually "increases flavor".

Another RDA I got was a Velocity V2 RDA clone. This is where the original Velocty style deck comes from, and I would love to support the makers of this but I chose instead to get a clone for like $20 vs the authentic is like $125 for whatever reason. Both are allegidly 304 stainless, which again, might not be any reason for cloners to lie and give you cheap poisoned metal or something if it's even any much cheaper than regular 304.
It can do a single coil but it should be though the center of the velocity which may or may not make it an annoying whistler if you need to decrease the holes all around the cap for a single coil, and it may or may not improve or degrade the vape flavor etc vs having one coil on the side with only air holes on that side such as can be done with the Tsunami I'm getting. The main reason for the Velocity is there's no bottom air holes, so I can just drip a good amount of juice on the coils and not worry about it leaking out the bottom. Will I notice any difference between the Tsunami with bottom airflow vs the Velocity with adjustable side flow? I don't know. I'm not very good at detecting these minute things and I think a lot of testimonies for such are sort of placebo affect.

Last RDA I got was the Mad Hatter V2. Authentic for around $25. Velocity deck. Adjustable Side air flow only. Basically the same thing as the Velocity V2 but the Mad Hatter has a great feature, a hinged top cap. I am a bit of a germaphone when I'm out and about. I don't like putting my hands all over RDA drip tips to pull it or the cap off to re drip. If the coil is ran through the center of a velocity deck, and if I end up using a really wide drip tip, then I can just drip down the drip tip onto the coil, but otherwise, I pull the cap off and drip which gets annoying, and have to touch the drip tip. With the Mad Hatter, all you have to do is just pop the hinged cap up and drip. I plan to just do this with my mouth and not have to put hands on the atty at all.

I also got some 510 heatsinks from fasttech for like $1 in case I have 510 connection problems with any atty/mod combinations and also for their purpose in case certain attys get too hot. Stainless seems to be the most popular but I did some googling if aluminum works better for heat dispersion and read

Thermal Conductivity of Metals
The top 4:
Silver 429
Copper 401
Gold 310
Aluminum 250

And for comparison
Stainless Steel 16

stainless vs aluminium heat sink - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

so I got the copper one
$1.71 510 Finned Heat Sink for Atomizers - copper / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
But also the stainless in case I need for some reason those notches on the top and in case the copper one gets damaged and I need a back up.
$1.61 510 Heat Dissipation Heat Sink for Atomizers - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

narrow bore 316 drip top (not 316L)
$1.46 316 Stainless Steel 510 Drip Tip for Kayfun Mini V3 RTA - 17mm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Wider bore 316 drip tip (not 316L)
$1.48 316 Stainless Steel 510 Drip Tip - 15mm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Aluminum drip tips
$0.87 Aluminum Drip Tip for 510 / ViVi Nova / DCT - silver at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
$1.23 Bullet Style Aluminum Drip Tip for 510 / ViVi Nova / DCT at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Glass 510 tip
$2.09 Glass 510 Drip Tip - small / 28*12mm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

This was a long read but if you think along the same lines as me, I saved you all the hours it took me to figure this all out. And thanks again to those who helped me in my threads. Take care.
If i were you i would never charged batteries in my mod. For several reasons.

1. The charging curcuit on tge board us about the size of a dime. Better to have full sized components that are spread out to prevent heat damage.

2. Batteries get hot and sometimes vent during charging.

3. Better to destroy a $14 charger than a $100+ mod and force you back to the stinkies till you can get another mod.

I have already got my stock pile but if ubwas getting a mod now the Releaux 2/3 would be near the top of prospects.

The 2 18650 batteries vwill go up to 150-160 watts and more pocket Friendly.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Just an aside to this, the Reuleaux DNA200 is discontinued. There are, however, many other DNA 200 based mods available.

If someone is a new vaper, a DNA 200 might not be necessary as a first mod. A tad complicated, and a significant investment for a new person who might not even like vaping. Lots of less expensive mods that will perform well for a new user from eLeaf and Innokin.

Tanks for a new vaper might best be something that offers the ability to use factory made coils with an RBA (rebuildable atomizer) as an option when the vaper is ready to tackle coil building.

For a current vaper looking to upgrade, items such as DNA based mods and RTA's are quite reasonable. Items should be chosen based on the users preference, as a MTL user will likely not benefit from a 200W mod with a big cloud tank on it, and a cloud chaser probably won't be happy with a little Pico and tootler tank (OK, maybe the Pico could still work).

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Just an aside to this, the Reuleaux DNA200 is discontinued. There are, however, many other DNA 200 based mods available.

If someone is a new vaper, a DNA 200 might not be necessary as a first mod. A tad complicated, and a significant investment for a new person who might not even like vaping. Lots of less expensive mods that will perform well for a new user from eLeaf and Innokin.

Tanks for a new vaper might best be something that offers the ability to use factory made coils with an RBA (rebuildable atomizer) as an option when the vaper is ready to tackle coil building.

For a current vaper looking to upgrade, items such as DNA based mods and RTA's are quite reasonable. Items should be chosen based on the users preference, as a MTL user will likely not benefit from a 200W mod with a big cloud tank on it, and a cloud chaser probably won't be happy with a little Pico and tootler tank (OK, maybe the Pico could still work).

Thats what i like so much about the Kayfun.

1. Single coil easy to build.
2. Spare parts are available.
3. With spare parts and bases yoy can keep a Kayfun going for years.
4. You can get a MTL vape by using a Kayfun lite plus base, oe yoy can get a DL vape by using tge Kayfun Monster Mini V3 base under tge Kayfun Tank.
5. If you are a low volume vaper the Kayfun Mini Tank holds 2.5 mls of Juice. Moderate use tge M Tank holds about 5 mls. Or go creative. One ECF member made a longer tube abd put a bell cap on top of an M Tank and claimed his Kayfun held 9 ml of Juice.

Reactions: Eskie

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
Kudos for the massive write-up, but those are very specific choices you made. Frankly there isn't a single item you've listed that I would recommend to a newbie or buy for myself except maybe the KV5.

Different strokes for different folks I know, but I felt compelled to put it out there because of the thread-tittle you picked.

abesh

Verified Member
Aug 7, 2016
Austin, TX
Those are great choices but I am not sure they would be great as a beginner setup. If it is someone's first vape I generally recommend the Evo One Mega or the iJust2 for the more adventurous. For their next mods I would recommend a single battery mod like the Evic VTwo Mini with the Cleito for a tank, Velocity V2 clone for the first RDA and the Serpent Mini as the first RTA.

Reactions: Eskie

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I'm waiting for the condensed version..

If the deeming regulations stand here is the condensed version

Mod of choice and backups.

RTA or RDA of choice and backups

Spare parts to keep your RTAs or RDAs going.

Nicotine base

Flavors for eJuice.

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
the DNA mod is on the pricier side and large yes but it's future proof or won't be something you need more battery life from like recommending a single 18650. the rest is cheaper than I thought. You can get tanks you can pop premade coils in that have top and bottom air flow, juice control if get the Gemini tank version or a smaller TFV4 version (no juice control yet though, V2 probably would have if they make one). Don't most agree that building coils works better though? Regardless of the learning curve which I think is actually pretty easy, it's the same with DIY juice, I don't get why people spend so much on juice.

The RDA info is a bit overthinking I agree, like about a single coil through the center of a velocity vs the side (potential whistler if decrease all air holes around to do one in the velocity's center). But other than that, you got your bottom air flow one with velocity, another RDA for side flow in case you just glob the juice in and that causes leakage with the bottom airflow RDA, and the mad hatter to just pop the top and load it up.

I agree 200W is overkill for most vapers including me but if there's a triple or even dual DNA100-200W, I don't think I found it. I know the VT133 Hcigar and almost got that as a back up for $100, but again, the battery door, if you just pick it up by it, the whole mod will slip out various sources show. The non-DNA chip MODs, I don't trust to do equal discharging even though it should just stop and tell you all batteries are low. I read the only bad thing about this is that your batts won't last as long between charging but they should still last about 9 months. The lipo mods are good and (DNA and non) but if end up wanting clouds, they might not have enough battery life to last a whole day for some. But you can USB charge them safely no problemo.

I dunno, I'm not trying to argue or anything. use whatever makes you happy. Charging with the DNA chips USB has been shown as accurate if not more than things like nitecore. I'm still just wondering about the rotating in that evolve link.

RabbiXX

Verified Member
Jul 9, 2016
California
Charging with the DNA chips USB has been shown as accurate if not more than things like nitecore. I'm still just wondering about the rotating in that evolve link.

My issue with USB charging is not so much the onboard charging components, but that all batteries should rest for like 30m-1hr after charging before being used in a mod for safety. If you follow those practices then I suspect many mods have perfectly safe charging components. I would venture to guess that there are more than a few who charge by USB, then use the mod right after charging, or even worse during charging.

I really dislike that I cannot disable USB charging on my mods that offer it honestly.

lynn508

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
alabam
My thoughts on this are just get a vtc mini. It takes one battery whereas in the reuleaux takes 3 they need to be balanced. I will not buy a battery that starts at 5/7/10v mainly because the old istick 20w always was about 1v hotter that what it said. I don't trust them. For newbies a vtc mini and subtank mini are about all they need to get started. Their next step should be diy liquids.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Well.......

1) Charging - As stated above in your post and by others that followed up, here is my input
1A) Balanced Charging - the reason for marrying batteries for a multi-battery set up is so that each battery in the married set are as close to equal, same charge and discharge, same model, same mah, same cdr, same voltage, ie they should at most of the time be as close to identical twins/triplets/quadtuplets, 1 weak battery in the set will cause a whole host of problems.
1B) In a pinch/emergency yes you can use an onboard charger, but if you do, rotate the battery positions in the mod to manually balance the charge/discharge rate on each battery in the set the charging board is not doing.
1C) As stated above, an extra $20 to $35 spent on a charger is money well invested. A good charger, example an Xtar XP4 Panzer, is a master at 1 job, "Charging Batteries", it is what is was designed to do, detect charge of every battery in a charging sled, monitor, and charge all batteries independently, condition them, a keep a battery in tip top shape. More pricier chargers you can find $50+ in price even have features to shut charging off at 4.1 to 4.0v to extend the life of a battery even further, may seem a big price in the beginning, but over the life of vaping I have done, my original Nitecore i4 is use as a back up to my primary VC4 home charger or Efest LUC4 (mobile unit) and Blu6 (at work) has outlasted "8" mods, and well over about 60 batteries, still runs to this day, one of the best $20 investments I ever made vaping wise. These like batteries will continue to be available as the FDA will have a stink bomb storm trying to classify flashlights and RC vehicles as tobacco products so no blackmarket price increases.

2) Find a mod/device to suit your own vaping style, or feel like you will be experimenting further like dripping, cloud chasing, flavor chasing, etc, get a mod that will be flexible with everything. My advice to customers, expect to run 50 to 75 watts, get a mod that can do double that, 100 to 150watts. It's fine to test up toward red line (max watts), but if a 100 mod and doing 50watts or less most days, just like a car it is easier on the motor long term (the mod chipset) and not fry it out prematurely.

3) Tanks - yes I would suggest rebuildables are the way to go, most good rebuildables have replacement parts available to repair them, also the FDA can't classify organic cotton or any type of wire like kanthal as tobacco products, cotton balls are health & beauty products and kanthal is used in heating filaments for toasters, heating and ventilation, and other industries, so these supplies will continue to be very readily available. Need a sub-ohm tank, get a tank that offers not only pre-made coils to keep going for a while until you get rebuilding down but also the rebuildable head comes with the kit or is offered sepperately, examples the Kanger Sub-tank series or Smok TFV4. As Mentioned above MTL tanks still one of the more popular lines are the Kayfun series which are flexible and very dependable, even the clones, sub-ohm RTAs UD offers a few good ones, OBS, and several others are also highly suggested, like the Griffin, Limitless RDTAs (RTA that can also be used as a RDA in a pinch), there are few out there, study and research them to find which will suit your vaping style(s).

4) I kind of feel RDAs will spiral,decline, and sink, they are cheap to purchase and maintain, but they are highly costly in juice, still for the best flavor and cloud production they are barely equaled. They are also the best platform to learn how to rebuild with given their deck space, they are great for practicing. Want flavor mainly with a good vapor cloud, go with one small chamber, the reflective heat they cause an limited airflow, flavor sky rockets over vapor production. Looking to cloud it up like a thunderstorm, get one that has massive airflow and a larger/wider deck with limited air vortex blocking (Velocity 2 post example only massive airflow, limited air movement restriction, large chamber), you loose flavor due to amount of air that it can move and when at a perfect 50/50 ratio (hot, moist, vapor with particulate to cool fresh air ratio) it is a cloud monster. Want a balance between the two, good flavor and can make a good cloud depending on your build and airflow setup, an RDA like the Royal Hunter or Dark Horse are very flexible and good RDAs.

Do your research smartly, not desperately. Check reliability and track record of the makers of devices you are interested in, figure out what you are going to need to suit you best in the long run if we have to batten down the hatches, devices and supplies that will last the longest for you will be the biggest key to look at next to who makes the devices in the long run, don't buy into over rated Tweet and Youtube crazes.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Yep. Sitting on the porch vaping Grandmas Lemonade, drinking beer and seeing how this one develops.
Last count, I've got 5 RDAs all good in their own way. If the zombies hit hard rebuilding and DIY is all that matters.
Interesting to note, in the real world of 'hobby' vaping, single battery mods still hold the majority stake. I saw some dual battery ones on show at Vapefest and surprisingly few Rolos in use.

JRFII

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2016
Wow! Lots of info to digest!
Here's my experience 7 months in...

Short start with Kanger pen style, moved to Aspire K1 tanks. Still using when I need to pocket my vape.

Jumped into rebuilding with Kanger Subtank Mini on the Subox Mod. Nothing fancy, easy to learn to build coils and wick. No failures. Flavor is decent and plenty of vapor even at low watts. Good battery life, no leaks to date. Reasonable price and readily available.

Tried the Toptank as I liked the idea of a top fill. Too many leaks when filling, back to the Subtank as my all day vape. Simple, cheap, easy and reliable.

Just decided to try the Kayfun V5, expensive but an impressive atomizer. Great flavor and super easy to build plus a top fill. Arrived today and easy to fill with no leaks like the Toptank.

Really, the Kanger Subox Mini is an easy device to learn coils and wicking. Tons of info here and all over the net.

Keep it simple in the beginning.

Batteries are cheap and charging station are cheap. Xstar have the Micro USB ones for less than $10 at illumn.com (if you have an android phone, you will most likely always have a charging cable near by). Why use the USB charging, save it for firmware upgrade. I just got the Releaux RX 2/3. Have two sets of VTC4 in rotation. Always have a spare set in my bag, in case I run out of battery juice. And yes, I always charge over night so there are plenty of resting time between use. Happy Vaping !!

If you like RTA, I have been playing around with the Aspire Quad flex and the Cleito converted RTA. I am a MTL vaper, 28 gauge kanthal using 3.5 mm base rod (oh, yes, make sure you get a coil wrapping kit like coil master for precise wraps) with 15 wraps give you about 1.6 to 1.7 ohm with dual coils builds. The new velocity deck with hex screw are just a joy to work with. With the new pre-heating function of the Releaux RX 2/3 and MINI Basic 60 watts (this is the next MOD for me), it will work quite well with 10 to 12 watts vaping and 12-14 watt 0.5 to 0.7 second preheating. And you don't have to worry about multiple hits, the 2 to 3 ml tanks gives plenty of juice to hit hard for a few minutes at time.

if you are building your own coils, make sure you have a basic coil building kit: a coil maker kit like CoilMaster, or use drill bit for precise diameter wraps. You also need a good "statitionary" butane torch (a torch that allow you to sit it on the table, lock in the flame and use both hands to heat up your coil wire), a small and sharp pair of scissors, Organic cotton (pads are easier to work with), and a ceramic tip tweezers.

Happy Vaping !!

Last edited:
Reactions: tckenno

Hercules

Verified Member
Sep 9, 2016
A lot to digest for sure.. I am a new vaper myself (started vaping about 30 days ago).. I gave up cigarettes about 20 yrs ago but I still love tobacco and enjoy my pipes and cigars. So for me its not so much the nicotine but mainly the flavor. Based on that, I've bought the Aspire mini Odyssey kit with the Triton mini tank with 20 coils and I like it a lot. I also got a couple of Kayfuns (KF Lite plus and V3 mini) but I am still learning how to build them and how to avoid leaking.

The hardest part so far has been finding an ejuice that I can enjoy vaping as I am not into sweet, fruity or dessert types. My favorite pipe tobacco is Dunhill Flake which is a straight mature Virginia and I have a couple of coolerdors packed with various cigars with a good number of island smokes. I am currently in the process of extracting my own NETs and I have about 10 different pipe and cigar blends in PG. We'll see how it goes..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread