here comes the chinese genesis invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Who is cloning Who? If it has a wick and a coil and used to vape, they own the patent.
Hon Lik applied for his first patent on the electronic cigarette in 2003 and subsequently introduced e cigs to the Chinese Market in the following year through his employer, Golden Dragon Holdings. Golden Dragon Holdings later changed the company name to “Ruyan” in order to better match the company’s name (Ruyan means “almost like smoke”) to the new product. Since the renaming, the Ruyan company has continued e cigarette development and grown to be one of the largest global e cig manufacturers.
The company is involved in several patent lawsuits: Ruyan claims that other e-cigarette manufacturers, in China and abroad, are using Ruyan’s technology illegally. Recently the High Court in China stated that Ruyan is the rightful owner of the atomization method in e-cigarette products.

Last edited:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
They dont have to be at the ~$30 price point of a knock off, but it would be nice if there were something between the cheap knock offs and the ~$150 high end units.

I agree with this: if the chinese can learn that as consumers we want a balance between price and quality- NOT just the best price- then these clones will be a huge hit. They do have the capabilities to build higher-spec devices out of better materials- look at Apple products- but so far, they haven't done the greatest job with the E-cigs.

Personally, I think part of the reason that they are producing exact replicas of foreign mods (read: foreign to the chinese, not to us), is because they feel cheated out of the original E-cigarette design (which was patented by a chinese person/company)... :lol:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Meanwhile I'll just keep drippimg along on my lil 7$ 510 atties

Sometimes, one of the best things that comes with experience is knowing that as AMAZING as the technology might get, you've already got something that, at least for you, works just as well for exponentially less $$.

And I concur on the original 510 atty's: three years in and I *still* buy them every few months. ;)

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
I agree with this: if the chinese can learn that as consumers we want a balance between price and quality- NOT just the best price- then these clones will be a huge hit. They do have the capabilities to build higher-spec devices out of better materials- look at Apple products- but so far, they haven't done the greatest job with the E-cigs.

Personally, I think part of the reason that they are producing exact replicas of foreign mods (read: foreign to the chinese, not to us), is because they feel cheated out of the original E-cigarette design (which was patented by a chinese person/company)... :lol:
Gee! I am speachless! What a load of......!

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
If you're referring to the fact that I said they "haven't done the greatest job with E-cigs", its because...well...they haven't. I would say they get it right about 50% of the time, out of personal experience. Product failure rates are high. Low tolerances are rampant. Inferior materials are all over the place (let's not forget the FDA juice scare a few years ago).

When small mod-makers release a product, it has a much higher rate of success; it is well engineered and built from quality materials to very exacting tolerances- MOST of the time.

So what I'm saying is that I don't wish to keep buying chinese made gear that has a 50% chance of working- I want to buy an Iphone with components that were made in china, but has a MUCH HIGHER success ratio. The number of defective Iphones out there is much, much less than 50%, would you not agree?

urquidezj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2010
Tucson AZ
Have u guys tried the a7? All ss and completely pulls apart. Sailing is the company and let me tell you. It's not what I expected. I expected chrome plates brass just like every other atty from china but its all ss. That is a company that if it keeps making their next products with ss will have my attention. I see their products as products to get your feet wet before you take the plunge. Spending 100+ on something u might not even like is risky why not have the option to try it on something less expensive then if you like go for the expensive one. I like the options just my opinion.

Moueix

Moved On
Aug 20, 2012
Michigan and Iowa
To be honest, after seeing the picture of the "X-atty", If I'm putting this on a high end battery mod, I'm going to go with the hand made unit. Sometimes we buy things because they're functional, and sometimes we buy things because they're both functional, and beautiful. There is room in the market for both. I guess if the Chinese ever decide to start hand making things with high quality materials and real craftsmanship to export here instead of mass producing them, artisans will have something to worry about.

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-
avanjaz:7488221 said:
like others have mentioned there has to be a balance in quality and price. if an american maker comes up with a decent quality stainless rba tank for around $50, they would do very very well.

This is entirely possible. The GTankUS was about $70 and had so many stainless steel parts for 3-4 different configurations. Although scubabatdan didn't profit from it (in respect for Raidy's wishes), the co-op contractor/fabricator certainly did. With the simple design of the DID, I would guess that at $50 one would still make a decent profit.

bilboda

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2012
Miami, FL
The AGA is stainless steel and cost $17.00. The coOp is the way to go , ladies and gents. Whether here or elsewhere.
I am in for the Scubagen mini v3. I had a single Vivi Nova at that point, and assorted carto's atties, not rebuildables or gennies, and the VMOD XL.
Since joining that coOp (still waiting) I have 4 Did clones, 2 Bulli Clones, 2 A7's ( a Bulli clone) and 2 Vivi tanks with the AGA and 2 Fatty clones forthcoming. I don't go to Gotvapes for anything. I was even in a CE3 bottom coil coOp.
So the Chinese mfrs bypass the mod creators and the coOp bypasses the vendors and the only one who wins is US and I'm ok with that.
And for those who might be interested, the Scubagen miniv3 will go another round. There's your top quality at around $50 +.

Last edited:

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
What gets me is how they get all mad when people post the problems and are mad after they hype The latest BEST, SUPER-DUPER, we helped the manufacturer design it, MEGA-AWESOME thing-a-ma-jig HAS SHIPPED!

By that statement,they simply mean that they got an original and sent it to the Chinese to be copied :laugh:

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Looking back a few years on all my purchases.
4 Lines all ended up leaking and burning the pos isolation.
2 Bullis both shorted out within a couple of months of use in the base.
1 GTUS, needed new Oring or a wave washer to keep the tank on, had to remove isolator for proper wicking.
1 Ody, lots of parts and tweaking to vape good
1 Penelope, same as Ody
1 DID, best so far for its simple straight forward approach and easy disassemble.
These are High end and over 50% gave some problems.
Chinese I have purchased:
16 Vivi Novas all still working and have been rewicked several times.
5 Vivi Tanks, these purchased to mod as SS Genesis, all still working
12 DUDS or Did clones, using these to do lab tests and they all are working
1 A7 Just got this a few days ago from a co-op and wish I had ordered more, these are great.
3 Lavatubes in the family all going strong after 6 months of use.
Sure they might not be as pretty, but they work and can't really say I have had a 50% failure.

rotohammer

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
NJ USA
Looking back a few years on all my purchases

Your experience, like mine, seems to indicate forward progress in atomizer design over time, regardless of the country of origin. Good news for everyone getting into vaping now. The DID style RBA's appear to be the pinacle of current design and operation.

The DUD is my first true RBA and unless I opt for a larger tank, I have no reason to switch to anything else. Now I just keep giving away my stockpile of clearomizers to friends and familily to get them started.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Your experience, like mine, seems to indicate forward progress in atomizer design over time, regardless of the country of origin. Good news for everyone getting into vaping now. The DID style RBA's appear to be the pinacle of current design and operation.

The DUD is my first true RBA and unless I opt for a larger tank, I have no reason to switch to anything else. Now I just keep giving away my stockpile of clearomizers to friends and familily to get them started.

I'm still in the learning and experimenting phase with these; so I'm not ready to dump my CE2s, CE3s, and Vivi Novas, just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread