Here we go again or,extreme bad parenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
@zoiDman "so he took a tiny sip and realized it was liquid nicotine for his wife's e-cigarette; she had used the empty container to mix her own e-liquid,"

I think this is the source of the confusion."so he took a tiny sip and realized it was liquid nicotine for his wife's e-cigarette;"
He assumed it was liquid nicotine.(nic base)
"she had used the empty container to mix her own e-liquid,"
IMHO this implies that it was not undiluted nic base but a mix.
In other words ready to go e-liquid.
apparently Everyone is linking to livesciences article.
"The girl's mother had filled an empty ibuprofen bottle with liquid nicotine that she had mixed herself using unflavored nicotine and vegetable glycerin."
Kids Landing in ERs After Drinking Parents' E-Cig Nicotine Liquid
Mike

OK. Then she Mixed herself.

Reactions: skoony

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
It's HIGHLY unlikely she's vaping 70mg/ml juice, but according to the one actual test they did, that must be what was in the kids medicine bottle.
The only source claiming what tests showed is livesciences story who refers to
researchers doing the test.(?)
nothing references the doctor or the hospitals testing.
Note; Everyone is now referencing and linking
livesciences story in theirs now.
Mike

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Last edited:
Reactions: r77r7r

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I think you should Create an Account with these people and the Download this Paper.

This paper proves my point. Something is funny about the
story I linked.
The regular news stories do not mention a original product
other than a mix of liquid nic and vg.
I haven't checked but,I assume if Oregons privacy laws are
anything like the state of New York's I can understand why regular
news would not be privy to confidential patient info.

How did these researchers obtain this info?
Note;I am not disputing the findings if in fact they are true.
Mike

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
That article summary says

Analysis of the ingested liquid suggests a nicotine concentration of 140.6 mg/mL in the purchased commercial product, or 234% of its labeled concentration

implying that they THINK the stuff she drank was about 70, mixed down half I suppose by the mom from about 140, when it was supposed to only be 60. (so she was aiming for 30?)

I think you should Create an Account with these people and then Download this Paper.

http://www.annemergmed.com/article/S0196-0644(16)30926-X/fulltext

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

Analysis of the ingested liquid suggests a nicotine concentration of 140.6 mg/mL in the purchased commercial product, or 234% of its labeled concentration

implying that they THINK the stuff she drank was about 70, mixed down half I suppose by the mom from about 140, when it was supposed to only be 60. (so she was aiming for 30?)
Her's my problem with all this. The story seems to originate from
12/27/16.
10 days later there is all this learned scientific analysis of blood results
that should be considered confidential doctor patient information.

I may be missing something here.
Mike

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

That very well could be a Likely Scenario.

And the Main Reason I would like to Read that Paper is to get some Verification on the 700 Milligrams of Nicotine that was supposed to be in the 10ml Dose the Father gave His Child.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
12/27/16.

Mike

It Isn't Confidential Doctor Patient Information if the Parents gave permission for Test Results to be Released.

And is it Confidential Doctor Patient Information if No Names are attached to Results?

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
It Isn't Confidential Doctor Patient Information if the Parents gave permission for Test Results to be Released.

And is it Confidential Doctor Patient Information if No Names are attached to Results?
You would be correct if the parents gave permission.
Nothing i have read indicates this is the case. Even so, the time frame seems a little rushed.
The blood tests would have to be verified and discussed with the parents and their insurance company.
Then the results forwarded to said researchers for further analysis.

the paper specifically refers to 'the' six year old child so,obviously the
researchers new who the blood came from.
Mike
PS,is the lethal doses mentioned still based on the old assessments that have never been proven?

Falco78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
United States
Nothing i have read indicates this is the case. Even so, the time frame seems a little rushed.
The blood tests would have to be verified and discussed with the parents and their insurance company.

Mike
PS,is the lethal doses mentioned still based on the old assessments that have never been proven?
I can't believe the parent would give any permission as it just shows the entire world they are a ........

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Mike

To be Honest with you Mike, I don't Fully Know what is going on?

Or if one of the "Researchers" worked at the Hospital? Or if the Parents had Insurance or Not? Or what Patient Privacy Laws there are in Oregon?

But I do Know that if Mom Hadn't put some kind of Nicotine Base/e-Liquid in a Childs Med Bottle ( :facepalm: ), or if She had to, why She couldn't spend 17 Seconds to Label what it was, then some kid Wouldn't have gotten a Ride with the Red n' Blues on.

So I Hoping that some Good can come out of All This.

If you DIY, Label your Bottles and Keep them out of Other's Reach.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
So I Hoping that some Good can come out of All This.
I would be more hopeful if anywhere in the articles it mentioned labeling your containers or keeping liquid nicotine out of reach. Instead they mention unreliable labeling(manufacturer) of nicotine products, which as far as I can tell had nothing to do with this accidental exposure.

Reactions: LaraC

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
I am sure that they will sue someone for their stupidity. One should not be able to put liquid nicotine into a aspirin bottle and one of the two manufactures or someone in the supply chain is at fault. Not the person that transferred the liquid into the bottle. I am not bitter.

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
This is quite possibly the single most stupid thing anyone on earth has ever done.
Consider me fully and truly gobsmacked.
Even in the land of reduce/reuse/recycle this is unbelievable. If you reuse the bottle, label it, or in the very least remove the original label.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
12/27/16.

Mike
Some people in the forum will remember the story out of NY about a child dying from nic poisoning. I followed that story as close as possible. Early reports were that the baby sitter caught the child drinking from a bottle of eliquid and tired to induce vomiting. i recall first reports were it was a bottle of consumer eliquid then that was changed to a bottle of nic concentrate. I recall an ambulance came to the scene and could not revive the child. Someone on this board contacted local authorities to get the death certificate. That was denied and apparently NY state law allows that denial. So we have an accidental death and no official, signed account of a cause of death. Some how that seems VERY unusual. It is always tragic when anything bad happens to a kid but there was political hay being made of this. I don't believe the child died of nicotine poisoning. I believe the cause was inappropriate responses by the care giver or first responders. I believe no toxicology tests were done to see if there was enough nicotine in the child's blood to be life threatening.

If you have doubts about the accuracy of this latest story just assume that is well founded. Lately journalists are complaining about fake news. That's ironic because they churn out more fake news than anybody. There is no important difference between fake and false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread