Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
When I drill the hole, I have a drill press, I use a v block I made out of wood to help hold the tube. I use a wood dowel inserted into the tube for support. I first use a finish nail to make a small hole in the tube so the drill gets a starting hole and won't walk off. This pic is the v block I made. Good luck.

View attachment 75146

lowboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 75139

The longer tank on the left is a 12ml syringe tube. I have just started adding fill ports to my tanks using a 6-32 nylon screw. The grommets are the 5/8" dia.

How did you get the syringe tube to be "blank" and not have measurement markings on it?

Looks nice, BTW.

Nice! That's exactly what I'm planning to do, but couldn't find nylon screws so went with what they had. Did you tap the holes after you drilled them?
I wasn't going to, but the guy at the hardware store said it would help and the tap was only $3.49 so I got one. The tap I got is a 6/32

It seems you have 4/40 screws and a 6/32 tap (?), which don't match up.

The hardware store near me has 4/40 socket head cap screws in stainless steel, which should look really nice and not be affected by juice.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I use Goo Gone and a rag to wipe the markings off.

How did you get the syringe tube to be "blank" and not have measurement markings on it?

Looks nice, BTW.

The hardware store near me has 4/40 socket head cap screws in stainless steel, which should look really nice and not be affected by juice.

Carless

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Valdosta, GA

Yeah, I clicked on the wrong socket head screw for the post. I was only able to get 7 of those screws and agree the stainless or nylon would be preferable so will look for those.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
I got the P slip joint washers today. Alas, they are too small for the 5/8" id tubing. They seem to measure about 1/2" id. So I ordered a bit of 1/2" id polypropylene tubing from McMasters to experiment further. Here's the reason I think this might work.

With the Q slip joint washer, the carto was a nice snug fit inside before the washer was pushed into the tube. It was secure, but you could push the carto in and out with just a little force, PERFECT! When the washer gets pushed in the hole, it reduced the size of the hole for the carto, resulting in a very tight hole, too tight for me, because I like easy peasy filling and hot switching cartos. The hole is 9/32".

Now, with the P slip joint washer, the hole for the carto is 11/32", almost tight enough on its own, could be a smidge tighter. It looks like this washer will be a tight fit in 1/2" id tubing. If I am correct, when the washer is pushed into the tube, this will reduce the size of the cart hole just enough for it to hold tightly and stay put, but not so, so tightly, like the Q slip joint washer.

The only downside is that by using 1/2" id tube, the tank will hold a bit less juice, but I'm okay with that. If this works, the big plus for me is that this tank will fit in my RSM Destroyer, which is a mod that imbeds the tank inside the top.

As far as material, I do not belive it is rubber, vinyl perhaps, has no discernible smell of rubber.

I hope this makes sense. This will be my last stitch effort. I'll keep you posted.

I have another idea for endcaps using the polypropylene tubing, waiting on UPS. Someone(can't remember) suggested to use these, Q Slip Joint Washer Bag # 38809B by Danco Company. Before they are placed on the tube, they seem perfect. You need to put the carto into one of the the washers, push the washer into the tubing, and then push the other washer on. It works, it's extremely secure, and it looks good, but it's too tight to do a hot switch, and refilling needs to be done with a syringe.

So, I have a different size coming, P Slip Joint Washer Bag # 38808B by Danco Company. I am hoping that this size will allow for easier refilling and hot switching of cartos.

It'll either be an epic fail or an epic win... I will post my findings.

Carless

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Valdosta, GA
You know, if you drill a filling port into the tube, tap it and plug it with a stainless or nylon screw, your carto can be as tight as it needs. This also helps with the air pressure thing.
I realize not everybody likes the screws, though.
I have a liquinator and two Mom & Pop Mini-subs with the screws and like the mini-subs with the screws better because they are so easy to insert and remove juice with a syringe, so I just ordered 100 6/32 X 1/4" stainless screws. I sure hope it works.
Good luck with those caps my4jewels, I think if they fit, they will be a lot better than grommets.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Thank you. I had read something about this a couple of weeks ago posted by someone else. Since I no longer smoke cigarettes, and I have eliminated 1000's of chemicals and poisons from entering my body, I'll take my chances with something that has not been proven to be harmful in such quanitites as we "may" get from our use...

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
The P slip joint washer and 1/2" tubing had the same result. When the washer was pushed into the tube the hole for the carto really tightened up. It works, but not with the results I had hoped for. I will be hostessing a coop soon for the new DCTanks with polypropylene in the clear. Keep your eyes open for it in the pif coop section. No pm's about it yet, please.

I got the P slip joint washers today. Alas, they are too small for the 5/8" id tubing. They seem to measure about 1/2" id. So I ordered a bit of 1/2" id polypropylene tubing from McMasters to experiment further. Here's the reason I think this might work.

With the Q slip joint washer, the carto was a nice snug fit inside before the washer was pushed into the tube. It was secure, but you could push the carto in and out with just a little force, PERFECT! When the washer gets pushed in the hole, it reduced the size of the hole for the carto, resulting in a very tight hole, too tight for me, because I like easy peasy filling and hot switching cartos. The hole is 9/32".

Now, with the P slip joint washer, the hole for the carto is 11/32", almost tight enough on its own, could be a smidge tighter. It looks like this washer will be a tight fit in 1/2" id tubing. If I am correct, when the washer is pushed into the tube, this will reduce the size of the cart hole just enough for it to hold tightly and stay put, but not so, so tightly, like the Q slip joint washer.

The only downside is that by using 1/2" id tube, the tank will hold a bit less juice, but I'm okay with that. If this works, the big plus for me is that this tank will fit in my RSM Destroyer, which is a mod that imbeds the tank inside the top.

As far as material, I do not belive it is rubber, vinyl perhaps, has no discernible smell of rubber.

I hope this makes sense. This will be my last stitch effort. I'll keep you posted.

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I was wondering how you cut the tubing. I have tried
PVC-Pipe-Cutter-ANT-PC-301-.jpg

but it doesn't always cut straight.

I have tried
PVC-Pipe-Cutter-ANT-CC-64-.jpg

but it squeezes the tubing, and doesn't cut it.

I have tried
bahco-diy-hacksaw-frame-1557-1161_medium.jpg

but it makes the edges rough. I don't know how to smooth them down (as sandpaper doesn't work as good on polypropylene as it does on polycarbonate).

Any suggestions?

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I use this. I don't use a dowel and get a good cut.
zoCt_Zj4It93xyfEtybN5r99MDi59EsLgYHO2m-Dt-DvAr6mXtkdK8Oz6BPvh8oRqtiWpSijsAHa5QlfzYIcCbSglCBoTt7qDdbCCiODuU5JZtsDgE1P4PfmcV3-7W62IJ-hCAds0sZa3mBOZVvz7bSH2kkqTSzKS3K1KeCvLLiX3a03p1FCuiPVdsvZ50qbzMXEUdVcbqQOJNmx3zvP1W2JRPER-EqfsABz0u_8DWwCkAT8i_JNnoP_Gux2_kaGsTGCkHr_6Q0CSY8KHHSiCz_c0GQb9cg0fGZ4Dl61HOWFQhR2OQ6SE2TKPMu2jlxQ7qYxqg
With the flexible polypropylene?

I used a tight fitting dowel, and it works perfectly! I even marked my dowel. I push until I reach my first mark, and have the other mark where I cut (1 3/16" for Boge and 1 9/16" for xl cartos).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread