Hey! Curious non-smoker here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger76251

Feb 14, 2016
Okay! I've read tons of threads on here on this topic already, all that I ask is you read my own personal situation before responding.

Basically this, I don't smoke anything, not into drugs, I drink but only occasionally with friends and even then getting drunk never much appealed to me. That being said I don't claim to have a super healthy lifestyle. My diet is the typical American college student diet and I've been drinking energy drinks fairly regularly (mostly Monster) since I was around 15 and I'm a few months away from turning 22 now.

Recently I was hanging out with some friends and one of them offered me e-cig (if that's what it was, I'm not sure if there's a difference in the tools used), I tried it and actually enjoyed it.

It was non-nicotine, I would guess as there wasn't any sort of kick that came with it or anything. The flavor was good and he was showing me some tricks with the vapor and such and honestly I just thought 'this is kinda fun'. He was a smoker and he'd quit before he started vaping, it was just something he picked up and enjoyed.

I know that vaping is still in its infancy and that there's still affects we don't know of yet. So I'm just looking for people to help me understand the known detriments as well as if there are ways to avoid them.

Note that it's unlikely this is something I'd be pouring a ton of money into or doing on a daily basis. I'd probably treat it much like how I've started to treat my energy drinks the past while, something I have as a treat once or twice a week, if even that.

Thanks!

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
There are a lot of former smokers here who don't believe in encouraging nonsmokers to vape.

I'm not one of them, for a lot of reasons.

The longterm health effects of vaping nicotine or just glycerine, whether VG or PG or combination are not known by anybody. The British government says they believe vaping is 95 percent safer than smoking tobacco.

In the US, our FDA is worried vaping will socially normalize smoking again, and imply a lot of bogus scare tactics in order to try to sway public opinion against vaping.

I really see nothing wrong with recreational vaping.

So welcome to ECF

Is it better not to start? Probably, but even that is not actually known to be a fact.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
I'll echo @MudVaper and say that vaping is a choice with some inherent risk attached. The full risk level is still unknown, and it's hard to recommend a non-smoker to take up vaping as a recreational activity. If you understand that there is some risk attached and still want to pursue it, by all means go ahead. Using zero-nicotine liquids plays in your favor for the risk reduction. You'd only need to be watching for signs of allergic reaction to the flavorings or the VG/PG bases that affect some people.

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
I may be showing my age here :( but when I first started smoking, it was a social pleasantry to offer people a cigarette upon meeting. It was something I missed, a way to break the ice.

Nowadays, I have offered several people a puff on my vape, and not one person has turned it down, lol. A few weeks ago, I started carrying a clean drip tip in case I run into someone who wants to try it.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. The answer to your question is not truly known. There may be long term health effects, or there may not be. We haven't been doing it long enough to find out. As has been said, the UKs PHS thinks it's 95% safer than smoking, and the FDA is skewing their test results to attain a politically correct result. I used to be one of the reformed smokers who discouraged recreational vaping. I have recently changed my mind. If you want to, go ahead. Plainly, it's better than smoking.

350ZMO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Alabama
www.ecigarette411.com
I know that vaping is still in its infancy and that there's still affects we don't know of yet. So I'm just looking for people to help me understand the known detriments as well as if there are ways to avoid them.

The known detriments come from dangerous by-products caused by high coil temperature/dry hit and although the taste is unmistakable, mistakes do happen.

Vegetable Glycerin or Glycerol (C3H8O3) starts decomposing into acetaldehyde, acrolein at around 536 degrees Fahrenheit (536F), reference 1.

Cellulose (often used for wicking) begins decomposing around 430F, reference 2. Though my own tests with OC and Rayon show a bit lower.

Propylene glycol starts decomposing at 329F, reference 3.

Also a known - unknown risk is flavorings. While we know chemicals in flavor decompose at temperature we don't know what temperature or what those chemicals are. For example, simple vanilla. It is typically made synthetically and even the natural extract I have made from vanilla beans has many different chemicals in it, not just vanillin, reference 4.

Everyone is different, and everyone has a different risk assessment and risk acceptance. You must determine your own.

My personal recommendation to avoid the known detriment is to use quality temperature protection kit.

HTH

References:

1. Acrolein wikipedia.

Acrolein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. THERMAL BEHAVIOUR OF THREE WOODS OF MADAGASCAR BY THERMOGRAVIMETRIC ANALYSIS IN INERT ATMOSPHERE, Figure 1

Tantely RANDRIAMANANTENA, Fils LAHATRA RAZAFINDRAMISA, Georgette RAMANANTSIZEHENA, Alain BERNES, Colette LACABANE

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/econf/C0908211/pdf/021.pdf

3. MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET

Propylene Glycol (1,2 Propanediol), Kosher

Pharmco Products, Inc.
58 Vale Road, Brookfield,
CT 06804, USA.
Tel: 203.740.3471

http://www.pharmcoaaper.com/pages/MSDS/MSDS_P/propylene_glycol.pdf

4. Vanillin wiki

Vanillin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Ranger76251 - I'm a member of an e-cigarette 4-year long study being conducted by the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. It's their Tobacco Cessation Department that's in charge of it. They're trying to find out if vaping can be scientifically proven to be a smoking cessation device.

With that being said...when I went for my initial 1 1/2 hour interview, I was putting my ecig away as I walked in the building. A receptionist at the front desk said, "You don't need to put that away. You can vape anywhere in the building you want to." Also, while sitting right across a table in a small 8 x 10 foot room, talking to 1 of the doctors in charge of the study, she said the same thing. So I vaped while giving her lots of my personal info. on my past smoking and then how vaping had helped me quit. She was very interested in all aspects of vaping, the ecig varieties, how they worked, the pieces & parts, the e-liquid ingredients, flavors, etc., etc. She even commented that my e-liquid smelled wonderful and asked what flavor it was!

I figured...if vaping is not only allowed, but is actually encouraged in a well-known, highly-respected Cancer Center's Tobacco Cessation building, and BY their doctors, too...I'm not going to worry about potential long-term effects.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
@Ranger76251 - I'm a member of an e-cigarette 4-year long study being conducted by the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. It's their Tobacco Cessation Department that's in charge of it. They're trying to find out if vaping can be scientifically proven to be a smoking cessation device.

With that being said...when I went for my initial 1 1/2 hour interview, I was putting my ecig away as I walked in the building. A receptionist at the front desk said, "You don't need to put that away. You can vape anywhere in the building you want to." Also, while sitting right across a table talking to 1 of the doctors in charge of the study, she said the same thing. So I vaped while giving her lots of my personal info. on my past smoking and then how vaping had helped me quit. She was very interested in all aspects of vaping, the ecig varieties, how they worked, the pieces & parts, the e-liquid ingredients, flavors, etc., etc. She even commented that my e-liquid smelled wonderful and asked what flavor it was!

I figured...if vaping is not only allowed, but is actually encouraged in a well-known, highly-respected Cancer Center's Tobacco Cessation building, and BY their doctors, too...I'm not going to worry about potential long-term effects.
Hmm, so there are a few open minds in the medical research community.

For smokers the calculation is simpler, is vaping lower risk than smoking? So far it appears to be. The best evidence is 10's of millions of vapers around the world, years of experience, no reports of doctors treating illnesses caused by using ecigs. That is not the same thing as zero risk. I think my lungs would be a little clearer if I weren't vaping (but I was starting to cough far too much as a smoker). I doubt the irritation from vaping has health consequences for me, but still, there are some consequences and some risk, however slight. Another way to look at it, if you simply must have something in your life that's a total waste of time socializing with vapers is far preferable to socializing with drinkers.

If you decide to vape, avoid nicotine. That way, if the government cracks down, if the vapocalypse comes, you won't be worried about the nic supply. It will also be impossible to tax you because PG, VG, and food flavorings are ubiquitous.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
being that you a non smoker.... and we dont have any conclusive info on long term effects of vaping... best bet, think about it for a while and see if the intrigue goes away... if not, start vaping, but try to avoid the nic.... no need to develope a bad habit that may be difficult to stop....

my analogy of smoking and vaping...
smoking = getting shot in the foot with a 44 mag
vaping = getting shot in the foot with a .22

yup one does cause more damage than the other

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Welcome to you! A lot of good info provided already.

One thing, to me, is that vaping is not smoking. The cig-a-like looking thing is an e-cig. Above that, to me, it is vaping. Flavor enjoyment-wise e-cigs are at the bottom.

I recently saw a treatment commercial that said that cigarettes had 7000 chemicals. I had heard of other numbers, but that was the State saying it. I just think that their are a lot of chemicals in cigs.

With vaping their is nicotine which is also in cigs. The other 6999 chemicals are not. The nicotine, PG, VG. and flavoring are vaporized and an aerosol is taken in and exhaled out.

After smoking for 30 years, I am grateful to be relieved of the 6999 other chemicals. I consider it Tobacco Harm Reduction (THR). When I started vaping, I needed the nicotine because I was addicted., Since then, well, I figure my nicotine intake is down to about 1/5 of one cig a day. Sometimes I just forget, where previously , I would have a habitual urge. I know it may be a bit of "smoker" language, but as a cessation technique, it works.

I do have to say that I do enjoy it while sitting on the porch or BBQing with friends. I understand if you feel you enjoy it. But, for the better flavor, means better gear and learning. If you are going for enjoyment, quality is more enjoyable. Again, it takes quality gear and understanding a lot.

Hope I helped.

Reactions: inspects

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
Thanks for the quick responses everyone! Any gear recommendations you guys can give?

That's a tough one: are you are just looking to mimic smoking? chuck clouds? looking for flavor only?

Want "plug and Play" or interested in customization or somewhere in-between?

Price point also figures into it.

subohmboy

Sep 19, 2015
Las Vegas
Considering that bacon is now a carcinogen - a little VG/PG vapor is hardly anything to worry about. I'm an RN and routinely administer the two compounds INTRAVENOUSLY to patients. If the FDA thinks that's safe, a little recreational vaping is hardly concerning.

Heck, even nicotine isn't the evil compound the GOV would want you to think it is. It's an alkaloid, we ingest many of them all the time and have been for millennia. Humans have nicotinic receptors in many cells- perhaps there's an evolutionary reason for it... Studies are now showing nicotine may have benefits to brain health...hmm.

Vape safely, know your gear and your liquids and do your homework. Good job coming here first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Welcome to ECF!

I'm a firm believer that adults should pursue whatever they like with caution, moderation, and some help.

My first device was a 75W Sigelei. I did not like the look of the pens and wanted to be able to increase/decrease the vape, b/c I was just starting out. I suggest buying anything you want, but I would stay below 100W b/c you're not going after the nicotine or cloud contests. Sigelei just came out with a 90W, single 26650 that looks awesome!

Take it easy!

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 18, 2015
    I also stopped smoking and started vaping, been almost 2 years now. Even though you may be vaping on nicotine free juice, I think the habit of hand to mouth is the worst part of vaping as it is with smoking.. Even with no addiction vaping is habit forming, and I think one who doesn't smoke should take that into consideration.

There are worse things a person can repeatedly put in their mouth.

350ZMO

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Alabama
    www.ecigarette411.com

With that being said...when I went for my initial 1 1/2 hour interview, I was putting my ecig away as I walked in the building. A receptionist at the front desk said, "You don't need to put that away. You can vape anywhere in the building you want to." Also, while sitting right across a table in a small 8 x 10 foot room, talking to 1 of the doctors in charge of the study, she said the same thing. So I vaped while giving her lots of my personal info. on my past smoking and then how vaping had helped me quit. She was very interested in all aspects of vaping, the ecig varieties, how they worked, the pieces & parts, the e-liquid ingredients, flavors, etc., etc. She even commented that my e-liquid smelled wonderful and asked what flavor it was!

I was encouraged by this so I found this website and called them:

Moffitt Cancer Center: Moffitt Cancer Center Receives $3.6 Million Grant to Study E-Cigarettes

I was told that the study will begin in 3-4 weeks and that they are only looking for people that smoke and vape, not those that have converted over totally to vaping. But they did say that if I ever did go back to smoking in the next four years I could call them back.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread