Hey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saeybia

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2016
Hi, Im Daniel and a complete n00b here and I guess to vaping! I have tried vaping before but on really rubbish set ups, anyway about 2 months ago I purchased a Endura T18 and have been using it on and off, today I received my new Eleaf istick Pico Mega with a Melo 3 tank, wow Im confused! lol It has so many different settings which is mind blowing, not 100% sure what to do with it all!

I also got some Blackberry Lemonade juice which is quite nice! :)

I currently have the vape set in smart mode :-o and have the 0.5ohms coil thing in it, I normally mouth to lung vape being a previous smoker, do I need to get a 1.5ohm coil for it, or is 0.5 ok? what about the temperature and the wattage, just leave those alone?

Sorry for so many questions, I know that its all personal choice, but what would you do with the settings and the juice?

Thanks and hi again :)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Gosh.... Welcome! :)
T18 vapes at 14.5watts.
The Kanthal 0.5ohm coil in the Melo will just about work at that power. Start there and bump it up gradually.
There's not too many hard and fast rules, but MTL over 20w starts to get too tricky (your mouth will fill too quick) and DTL is not great less than 12w (?).
In general, I avoid high resistance coils unless the low resistance ones get too wet vaping them at lower power. I've vaped 0.5ohm coils right down on 10w with a cold/flu and as long as they're not flooding, you can use them.

Reactions: saeybia

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I think there is a lot I need to learn, I tried it on 14.5w and it didnt seem to do much, its currently on at 20w which seems ok, should I change the temperature, or is that personal choice? silly question but Im guessing if its to high the juice will burn?

Temperature mode is only for TC coils. Previously Nickel (Ni), then Titanium (Ti) and now Stainless steel (SS316 and others).
The 0.5ohm coil - "EC head" will be Kanthal with a white silicone ring in the base.
The others will be called "EC TC head" and have red or blue insulators and be much lower resistance than 0.5ohms, probably.
Not sure Melo 3 has a Stainless coil option... (??)
Anyway, if your mod has a smart mode, that's cool! less to worry about.
0.5ohm coils can truck on up to 30,40,50 watts depending on the design of the coil head. I tend to stop at 30w with all but the best.
Eleaf do a 0.3ohm coil head (for the iJust2) which I can confirm will vape at the full 59 watts with the right liquid.
:)

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Saeybia and welcome.
I'm pretty much a newb too, bought my first real vape last xmas. I've tried coils ranging from 1.0 ohms to 0.20 and I've yet to see a recognizable difference in their output as far as the vape quality is concerned though I have noticed some juices seem to vape better with lower resistance coils than others. What I've read suggests that with higher resistance the vape is supposed to be cooler,smoother, and more tasty. Lower resistance is supposed to have more of a throat hit and larger clouds. I'm not yet convinced by my own experience of the truth to that.

I'm using 0.5 ohm coils in a number of my atty's and they seem to perform well. Of course when you change your coil for a different resistance one you will normally have to change your power setting to compensate. The higher the resistance the lower the wattage and vice versa. I started using the power settings (wattage) because I couldn't understand the Chinglish instructions that came with my Evic nor could I identify what the coil wires were made of in order to select the correct temp control program. I've since figured that all out but still find myself simply using the wattage setting as it is a simple and understandable method of controlling the amount of power. Do try the higher resistance coil though, in fact if you can get others try them too. This vaping thing is all about experimentation to find what you like and of course you'll learn more each time you do experiment.

What I've found that works for me and was recommended by someone here with more experience is that when you start with a new coil, prime it well and give it time for the juice to start wicking well before trying to vape it, maybe 15 to 30 minutes. Start by vaping with no power and with the airflow closed down, that literally sucks juice into the wick. Then open your airflow and start taking draws at a really low power setting, maybe 5 watts and don't expect much. Work your way up a few watts at a time and what you should notice is that the vape starts with nothing more than a bit of taste, then you'll start getting small clouds and the coil will start making gurgling and popping noises sounding very wet. Higher still the wetness starts to diminish while the taste increases a lot, often too much, but it is still a wet vape and may be spitting hot juice. Higher still you should pass a sweet spot where the wetness is pretty much gone, the taste has lightened, and the clouds are substantial. Higher still and the vape starts to dry and become warm, and the taste starts to disappear. Then start lowering your power to find that sweet spot again. It changes with the resistance, the specific juice, and even how you are feeling that moment.

Just as a very rough guideline I end up in the 10 to 18 watt range with a 1.0 ohm coil, 30 to 50 watt range with 0.5 ohms, and 40 to 65 watts on a 0.2 ohm coil. But again it depends on a few other factors that I haven't mentioned. Play, play with power settings, with different coils, with airflow settings, with different juices, with different juice mixes, and look forward to being able to play with different devices.

So have fun and keep experimenting, reading, and asking questions along the way. Best part is that we've all got lots more to learn. (sorry for the excessive verbiage this morning)

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Welcome to ECF!
There are no hard and fast rules on vaping, it about what you like and works for you!
I'm also a mouth to lung vaper, depending on the atty, and how I feel is how I set mine up.
In temperature control, most times, I just set it at 30w and 400def (F). If I want it warmer I'll turn up the heat, if I want more throat hit I'll up the wattage.
In wattage mode, well I'm all over the place depending on the airflow, lots of air, more power. Kayfun lites, Squapes, tight airflow, around 14 watts. Kayfun v4, Theorum, Avacodo, around 20 watts, more airflow. Then the Mutank and Smok TFV4 anywhere from 30-65 watts, lots of airflow!
Try the Melo around 20-35 watts, it's pretty airy from what I understand, then adjust it to suit your taste. Always start low and work up, this helps to insure it's primed and has plenty of juice in it, so it doesn't burn up! I've read people using them at 65 watts and being happy.
So don't be afraid to experiment to find your happy place, it's not the same for everyone.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Kayfun lites, Squapes, tight airflow, around 14 watts.
Just set up a Squape R in the last 10 minutes. Awesome post-zombie-apocalypse rebuilding.
I was given it... totally real and totally fabulous. (Now I've fixed the exact build).

14 watts, on the button. :thumb:

(Just wish I could get guaranteed 14w from KFLs)

Thanks @sawlight

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Just set up a Squape R in the last 10 minutes. Awesome post-zombie-apocalypse rebuilding.
I was given it... totally real and totally fabulous. (Now I've fixed the exact build).

14 watts, on the button. :thumb:

(Just wish I could get guaranteed 14w from KFLs)

Thanks @sawlight
Try a SS build in TC on that Squape sometime! I'm not sure what changes, but it really brings the flavor to life!
The KFL is all about getting the wick right, always remember less is more when wicking them, just enough wick to get juice to the coil, but not block the airflow.

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
Welcome to ECF Daniel, For Mouth to Lung (MTL) Vaping similar to smoking Aspire Nautilus is about the best and has been for a few years now. They have replacement heads that will deliver the flavor and last quite awhile. Best Head range is 1.2 - 1.8 which Vapes quite well at around 9 - 12 Watts; 10 Watts is my Sweet Spot for them. Congrats on making the move to smokeless

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
Welcome to ECF Daniel, For Mouth to Lung (MTL) Vaping similar to smoking Aspire Nautilus is about the best and has been for a few years now. They have replacement heads that will deliver the flavor and last quite awhile. Best Head range is 1.2 - 1.8 which Vapes quite well at around 9 - 12 Watts; 10 Watts is my Sweet Spot for them. Congrats on making the move to smokeless
While your experimenting to find your Gear; keep in mind the Classified ads here. You can pick up some great deals from time to time

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Hi, Im Daniel and a complete n00b here and I guess to vaping! I have tried vaping before but on really rubbish set ups, anyway about 2 months ago I purchased a Endura T18 and have been using it on and off, today I received my new Eleaf istick Pico Mega with a Melo 3 tank, wow Im confused! lol It has so many different settings which is mind blowing, not 100% sure what to do with it all!

I also got some Blackberry Lemonade juice which is quite nice! :)

I currently have the vape set in smart mode :-o and have the 0.5ohms coil thing in it, I normally mouth to lung vape being a previous smoker, do I need to get a 1.5ohm coil for it, or is 0.5 ok? what about the temperature and the wattage, just leave those alone?

Sorry for so many questions, I know that its all personal choice, but what would you do with the settings and the juice?

Thanks and hi again :)

Welcome to ECF!

I think everything has been addressed except for one thing. :D

How is ole Scooby Doo doing! :thumb:

saeybia

ECF Veteran
    Aug 23, 2016
    Hey guys!

Thanks loads for all the help! I actually went into Sparks today to get them to show me how to use the thing, plus to get an external power supply, the lady said just stick with the wattage, up it as you would like, dont go above 30 I think she said for the 0.5ohms, I have it at 25 at the moment, the only thing Im having issues with is the temp control, Id like to up it some, when I switch over to it, it stays on the screen and allows me to take one toke, but then switches back to wattage and it feels cooler there, maybe something is wrong with my mod? Im switching it to TemperatureNi if that helps?

THanks loads again, oh and Scoobie is good :p lol

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Hey guys!

Thanks loads for all the help! I actually went into Sparks today to get them to show me how to use the thing, plus to get an external power supply, the lady said just stick with the wattage, up it as you would like, dont go above 30 I think she said for the 0.5ohms, I have it at 25 at the moment, the only thing Im having issues with is the temp control, Id like to up it some, when I switch over to it, it stays on the screen and allows me to take one toke, but then switches back to wattage and it feels cooler there, maybe something is wrong with my mod? Im switching it to TemperatureNi if that helps?

THanks loads again, oh and Scoobie is good :p lol

I don't have your devices but have a question or two.

Did you install Ni coils? (Ni stands for Nickle.) If you did not install NI coils then it will switch back to wattage mode if it does not detect NI coils. It's fine if you did not b/c I have a recommendation.

If you did not buy any Ni and your devices do SS - Stainless Steel, 316 in particular, I recommend SS 316. SS 316 is a healthier alternative and it also does wattage mode. DO NOT vape Ni in wattage mode b/c there are a few hazards that may occur with that particular wire.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Thank you @Tommy-Chi I don't know the coils in that tank well enough to know which is what! I was hoping someone that did would chime in.

Yep, OP must respond.

I checked and Melo 3 tank coils may be Kanthal A1, Ti or Ni200. If TC is desired, I'd buy Ti.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Ok, I now have no idea what Im using, lol

this is what I have iStick Pico Mega Kit - iSmoka/Eleaf electronic cigarette Im using everything listed on that page and have the 0.5ohm coil in at the moment, I purchased a box of coils and all it says is 0.5ohms EC head?

how do I telll what kind of coils Im using?

Best bet is to tell us what is "written" or etched on the coil.

HERE is a link to the coils available for Melo III. NOTE! I've never ordered from this co. I found that the Notch Coils are SS 316L which is TC, but you need to use SS Mode.

Due to fact it pops out of TC mode, chances seem good you are using Kanthal A1. They don't list the coil properties but I'd bet it's Kanthal...and Kanthal is great, but not a TC wire.

Order up some Ti or a Notch Coil in SS 316L and rock on! :thumb:

Last edited:

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    I think your right, I have googled like crazy and I keep seeing Kanthal mentioned, so this doesnt allow TC control, so I should stick to wattage for that? are Nickle coils better then?

I updated that post above, you may want to check it out.

Ni200 was an early TC wire. It is fine as long as you do not pulse it or vape it until the tank runs dry. There are some discussions on TC here on ECF. As for myself, I'd rather use Kanthal, SS316L or Ti.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread