Hi All - from a shaken up Provari AW 18490 battery owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preloader

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Oakland, CA
I also found out the hard way just how powerful these batteries are. I bought a volt meter thinking I could check my e cig batteries to see how many volts were left in them. Well, I tried it on one of my 18650 batteries. When trying to hold the probes on the ends of the battery (not near as easy as I anticipated), I had my finger in contact with one of the probes. It burnt the hell out of my finger! I quickly decided "not a good idea"!

best regards, larry mac

HAHA. This reminds me of a story I'm embarrassed to share. Years ago, I wanted to check how much fuel I had left in the tank of my Gixxer (Sportbike). Sportbikes don't generally have fuel level gauges, so you have to open the cap and look inside. Well, it was dark out, and before I realized that my brain was not operating at S.A.T. passing performance, I found myself holding a lit lighter in the opening of the tank with my eye less than 6" away to check for gas.:facepalm: Fortunately all I got was a dancing blue flame on top much like you see on a flaming shot of strong alcohol. But I freaked out so quickly that I slammed the lid shut, effectively breaking my key off in the cap.

That night I had to hotwire my own bike and ride it home with the gas cap locked open and barely enough gas to make it there.

So what did I learn?

Doesn't really matter, because there is no circumstance now in which I should ever have a lighter in my pocket.:D

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Was there any other metalic objects in the pocket other than the other battery? Keys or loose change could have completed the electrical circuit with the failed battery. If not, contact between the two batteries must have caused this incident.

Why couldn't just be a bad battery?
Or it could have been overcharged at some time.
Or maybe it was dropped at some time either by the OP or before he bought it.
Basically there is no such thing as a safe lithium battery.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Nah, the battery was with another one, out of the mod, in a soft pocket in my rucksack. Shorting or mod failure was not possible!

Can't even vape without worrying it'll explode in my hand, let alone charging or storing them.

Sorry for your unfortunate incident. Obviously, the reason this happened is your battery made contact with another metal object (the second battery?) which completed the electrical circuit. This occured over some time, as the battery became over-stressed from the continuous and rapid dischage. It became over-heated, hard-shorted (short-circuited) and then went into an event called thermal runaway. This causes the battery to release the heated gas and pressure built up inside the battery. It actually performed the way it was designed to do. A Li Ion battery would have spewed hot flames and been much more violent.

I have a hard time understanding why you place any blame on Provape. They have many warnings about unsafe battery use on the website. Their response to you was perfectly acceptable. What more did you expect from them? It is the customer's responsibility to learn about safe battery use. The information is easily available from multiple sources.

In hindsight, you should have kept your spare batteries in a protective case which would have prevented them having contact with any metal or another battery end-to-end. This is safe battery practice. Perhaps others will learn from your unfortunate incident.

Practice safe battery habits and you need not fear such an accident from happening again. Your Provari is one of the safest PVs made today. It has multiple built-in features especially designed by the engineers at Provape.

AW IMR batteries are the safest batteries for PVs available to use. Handled and used properly in normal applications they can and are safe. It's when someone is careless is when these batteries can be dangerous.

Last edited:

cmdebrecht

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
I know nuttin' bout batteries, really, so can someone educate me about my evod batteries please...can I keep them in my purse? Generally I have an extra that I tuck into a slip pocket on the outside of my bag. Am I correct in understanding that the best way to prevent it from 'sploding would be to keep it in that carrying case that came with a starter kit, or keep a tank on it so the connection will not come in contact with keys, etc? Thanks!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Considering the story changed within two posts from "no, there was no metal in the cushioned pocket it was in" to "Nah, the battery was with another one, out of the mod, in a soft pocket in my rucksack. Shorting or mod failure was not possible!" :blink:

It started as one battery.

Then it became two batteries.

And it's unclear, but it finally sounds like it was two batteries and the Provari.

No - that involved no loose metal at all. :facepalm:

Last edited:

nomeX

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
HTX, USA
I didn't know Provari made batteries? I'm ordering a battery case now... The OP was fortunate that the battery wasn't Li-Po, I fly r/c helicopters and I've seen the flames that happen when those things go! Send me your dangerous Provari, it's clearly unsafe. I'll pay for shipping and I'll only charge you $10 to dispose of it properly for ya.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I know nuttin' bout batteries, really, so can someone educate me about my evod batteries please...can I keep them in my purse? Generally I have an extra that I tuck into a slip pocket on the outside of my bag. Am I correct in understanding that the best way to prevent it from 'sploding would be to keep it in that carrying case that came with a starter kit, or keep a tank on it so the connection will not come in contact with keys, etc? Thanks!

I carry my eGo-class batteries in an eGo pouch for transport. They are widely available:

http://cdn.sulitstatic.com/images/2...6776220dd313e88bf5831179acf14859046fcef4a.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Your Evod battery should have a 5 or 6 click on/off function. When not vaping with it or while in transport, always turn the battery to the off position and everything should be safe. Theoretically, carrying the battery in a purse the on/off button could be pushed the right number of times to turn it back on, so also carrying the battery in a protective carrying case is an even better idea.

For regulated VV/VW mods, they also have an on/off mode. For mechanical non-electrical mods, either remove the juice device or the battery from the mod for safe transport.

Last edited:

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL

My ProVari has an outside pocket of my purse, all by itself. I turn it off everytime I done with it, and double-check I powered it off correctly. Extra batteries, go in a plastic battery box ($1 from many vendors). The pocket I put the battery box in is also by itself.

And, don't leave batteries in the car when it's hot.

Doing these things, I feel I eliminate most potential issues.

ETA: For Ego-type batteries, power them off when not in use.

Last edited:

Recon Number 54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
McKinney, TX
Send me your dangerous Provari, it's clearly unsafe. I'll pay for shipping and I'll only charge you $10 to dispose of it properly for ya.

mLDRUOl.png

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
They don't.

But they sell and recommend AW IMR (red jacket) batteries on their site.

So does 90% of all ecig related websites. I also still recommend them even after this event, hell especially after this event. The battery went thermal and no one was hurt, I'm pretty sure the battery did it's job.

As for the Provari, it wasn't even at fault.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

All that, and doing the 5 clicky thing to shut the not in use battery off too. ;)

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Try as I might but I fail to see how you can connect the positive and negative terminals with two batteries an a Provari.

I wouldn't be inclined to want to put two batteries, facing each other in reverse polarity, up against the metal of a Provari body to see what happens.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Sorry it's been a long day I completely misinterpreted your post. But yeah I still stand behind my comment, just not directed towards you. = )

I understand. :)

For the record, I use AW IMR batteries exclusively in my APVs, mostly because they were recommended by the good people from ProVape and by Rolygate in the attached link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread