Hi All - from a shaken up Provari AW 18490 battery owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Try as I might but I fail to see how you can connect the positive and negative terminals with two batteries an a Provari.

One battery post touching the other battery and the other side touching either the end cap of the Provari or the zipper of the backpack. Or one side touching the provari end cap or head and the other touching the zipper.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
One battery post touching the other battery and the other side touching either the end cap of the Provari or the zipper of the backpack. Or one side touching the provari end cap or head and the other touching the zipper.

Maybe I missed it but I don't remember the OP saying anything about a metal zipper. If there was one you are right it can happen. Everybody seems have concluded that it was the OP's fault and the battery discharged by touching metal. However if we are to take the OP's word that there was no metal then something else must have caused this.

TM79

Aug 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm not going to poke fun at the OP because being a vaper for about two months now, I can certainly relate that there has been a STEEP learning curve and it continues to this day (including this thread). For most of the high-end things that we buy in life, you can more or less depend on them to function as they were designed while taking reasonable precautions.

He has the Provari Mini and it appears that he was using the 18350 batteries, which Provari and ECF recommend for devices like this as the safest option for vaping. Whether or not he put the battery in his backpack with other batteries or the Provari itself would not seem like a crazy decision for someone who just purchased a high-end product from a reputable company.

For a living, I happen to work on, troubleshoot and fix shop-made machines that combine electronics and extremely flammable liquids. Because of my inquisitive nature, I have spent hours upon hours researching the various devices that makeup e-cigs. Until this thread, I knew enough to not put a battery in my pocket or around metal objects, but that's about it. And that's only because I took the time out of my day to search the internet about it and actually stumbled upon it.

I travel all the time for work, so now that I have switched over to vaping, I have to carry all of these devices, chargers, juices, batteries, etc, with me, normally in a backpack. Luckily, I've been OK and haven't started a fire, etc. However, I can certainly see how someone who hadn't put in all of that time could do things differently, and I don't blame them.

So here I sit, in a hotel room, vaping on my Provari with the 18650 battery. Before this thread, I simply tossed the fully charged spare battery into the box with the charger (probably not a big deal, but who knows...) After reading this, I looked around at what I had available and came up with this:

battery.jpg

I put the rest of my Q-tips into a plastic bag and put my spare battery into my Q-tip plastic case. Neither end touches anything and it fits fairly tightly into the box. Hopefully that will do. All the best to the OP. I hope he doesn't go back to analogs over this. It is definitely a steep learning curve...

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Well, yeah, batteries vent when shorted, sure. And BTW that photo in post #1 is proof positive that vent holes are still required in all mods IMO. And even then you can see how fast they could get plugged. Also, proof that pressure can build even with IMR batteries...so the common "Oh they just get hot" stuff is B.S. (or at least over simplified).

The other thing is that overcharging can damage a battery.
And damaged batteries (overcharged or not) can internally short amounting to the same thing as an external short.

Soft backpacks get bumped/banged around and COULD damage a battery too.

I for one thank the poster for posting information. IDK about his practices or conclusions. But I don't slam him for posting it or clarifying the details.

So we don't know if it's a faulty battery, a damaged battery, or a shorted battery (zipper + external battery ?series circuit? + proVari body making a short).

How old did you say the batteries were? Where they OK before this?

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm not going to poke fun at the OP because being a vaper for about two months now, I can certainly relate that there has been a STEEP learning curve and it continues to this day (including this thread).

I for one thank the poster for posting information. IDK about his practices or conclusions. But I don't slam him for posting it or clarifying the details.

So we don't know if it's a faulty battery, a damaged battery, or a shorted battery (zipper + external battery ?series circuit? + proVari body making a short).

^

The main purpose of this forum is a free and open exchange of information about vaping. Let's be nice to each other. This is an important thread and hopefully others will be able to learn from it.

Last edited:

cmdebrecht

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
To all of you helpful individuals who recommended that I turn off my battery before carrying it around with me:

When you see my future post in which I wonder why my fully charged battery is not working, at which point I have driven myself to the brink of insanity by plugging and unplugging it from the charger 43 times, cleaned and replaced 6 tanks, quadruple-checked all connections, and done 18 hours of research on the internet to try to figure it out, please remind me to simply turn my battery on.

Reactions: Adina

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Maybe I missed it but I don't remember the OP saying anything about a metal zipper. If there was one you are right it can happen. Everybody seems have concluded that it was the OP's fault and the battery discharged by touching metal. However if we are to take the OP's word that there was no metal then something else must have caused this.

I suppose I am assuming the metal zipper, but I've never seen a backpack with anything but metal zippers (not the teeth but the actual zipper).
I just find it hard to believe that the battery simply vented of its own accord. I'm not ruling out other scenarios i.e. being physically damaged, overcharged, etc but a short does seem to be the most likely cause of the batteries venting.

Seeing as his account of the venting went from
(no, there was no metal in the cushioned pocket it was in)
to
the battery was with another one, out of the mod

It seems even more likely that the battery was shorted.

OzarkTroutBum

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Ozarks
To all of you helpful individuals who recommended that I turn off my battery before carrying it around with me:

When you see my future post in which I wonder why my fully charged battery is not working, at which point I have driven myself to the brink of insanity by plugging and unplugging it from the charger 43 times, cleaned and replaced 6 tanks, quadruple-checked all connections, and done 18 hours of research on the internet to try to figure it out, please remind me to simply turn my battery on.

And that moment of sheer PANIC when you realize you are puffing on a cold battery and getting nothing.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

123776276.jpg

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
No Provari's were injured during the making of this thread, just a battery.

Thank the Lord! I'm still confused though. Is that what's inside of a battery, including the metal tube at the bottom?

I use plastic battery boxes, although plastic film canisters work very well, provided people remember what they are.

Zak Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Orange, California, United States
Thank the Lord! I'm still confused though. Is that what's inside of a battery, including the metal tube at the bottom?

I use plastic battery boxes, although plastic film canisters work very well, provided people remember what they are.

Yep, you got it. Looks like spiral wound mats within the metal tube.

Sent via the guys that made Star Trek low tech.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm confused by the pictures. Is the tall burned up thing the ProVari?

View attachment 255217

The picture actually demonstrates what can happen if this occurs in a mechanical tube mod. The collapsable hot spring and vent holes in a mechanical mod would not be effective in relieving increasing gas pressure as the battery swells and grows out of shape while it is failing. The swollen battery can block the vent holes, preventing the release of the gas, increasing the chance of the mechanical tube mod of literally becoming a pipe bomb.

This demonstrates why a regulated mod like a Provari is inherently safer than a mechanical mod. The regulated mod has protective circuitry to prevent a short from happening in the first place, shutting down the power to protect itself and the user. A mechanical mod has no such protection, only the common sense of the user...if they have any.

It also shows what happens if you are making sub-ohm coils and using an inadequately-powered battery. You are often walking a fine line between safety and a failed battery if the battery is asked to make more amps than it can supply. They don't like that, and react angrily like the above battery did.

As dramatic as the above photo is, a Li Ion battery could easily have been worse. It would have been more violent and probably would have included fire. This is why ECF now recommends IMR batteries to be used instead of Li Ion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread