Hi All - from a shaken up Provari AW 18490 battery owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
To all of you helpful individuals who recommended that I turn off my battery before carrying it around with me:

When you see my future post in which I wonder why my fully charged battery is not working, at which point I have driven myself to the brink of insanity by plugging and unplugging it from the charger 43 times, cleaned and replaced 6 tanks, quadruple-checked all connections, and done 18 hours of research on the internet to try to figure it out, please remind me to simply turn my battery on.

I"ll remind you if you return the favor ... :blush:

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
The title of the thread would cause anyone to think the ProVari caused this damage to the battery.

The ProVari may not have been at fault yet this entire thread has been an eye opener.
Most people don't consider battery hazards; we normally just throw them in a bag and keep on going about our business.
It wasn't until very recently I started carrying spare batteries and juice in one of those eGo cases and if everything I've taken in from this thread is correct, the eGo case may not be the ideal solution for spare batteries on the go......(someone chime in for clarification sake).

Just yesterday I was in a car with my mechanical laying between my legs. It's a bottom fire and I couldn't find any place to put it.
Unbeknownst to me the fire button got pushed in; I don't know for how long but when I picked it up to vape, it was hot enough to BBQ chicken off of it.

THAT scared the hell out of me.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory

IbJeT.gif

Pirate Sheep​

Last edited:

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
I can't read all that. Cliff notes. You put a battery with another battery loose and uncovered in a backpack and they shorted and gassed? Sorry but, that's what happens with any battery. Provari can't be blamed for that. I would love to blame them too. Batteries must be in a non conductive case when carried around.

If I missed something let me know...

Sounds like Darwin's theory..

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
The title of the thread would cause anyone to think the ProVari caused this damage to the battery.

The ProVari may not have been at fault yet this entire thread has been an eye opener.
Most people don't consider battery hazards; we normally just throw them in a bag and keep on going about our business.
It wasn't until very recently I started carrying spare batteries and juice in one of those eGo cases and if everything I've taken in from this thread is correct, the eGo case may not be the ideal solution for spare batteries on the go......(someone chime in for clarification sake).

Just yesterday I was in a car with my mechanical laying between my legs. It's a bottom fire and I couldn't find any place to put it.
Unbeknownst to me the fire button got pushed in; I don't know for how long but when I picked it up to vape, it was hot enough to BBQ chicken off of it.

Ego case can be fine as long as the batteries are secured in the pouches and side by side and there aren't conductive materials bouncing around in there..

bosun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
in between the ice ages

I can see the headlines "Man's testicles blown off by e-cigarette".
Just like that poor woman who's thighs were badly burned by the MacD's coffee...

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
We need to link this thread every time there is a post about "can I use this no name 2 dollar something low amp battery in my mod?"
and it looked like the protection within the battery actually functioned admirably, I see no signs of anything being burned or scorched.

now maybe people can understand why AW uses only top grade panasonic cells with the two stage gas release safety features.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I can't read all that. Cliff notes. You put a battery with another battery loose and uncovered in a backpack and they shorted and gassed? Sorry but, that's what happens with any battery. Provari can't be blamed for that. I would love to blame them too. Batteries must be in a non conductive case when carried around.

If I missed something let me know...

Sounds like Darwin's theory..

This is a new members forum, Eddie! Not everyone who wants to try an e-cig is an expert on batteries, their chemistry and safe handling.

I certainly wasn't when I first started. :)

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
This is a new members forum, Eddie! Not everyone who wants to try an e-cig is an expert on batteries, their chemistry and safe handling.

I certainly wasn't when I first started. :)
Sorry you're right. I did have that much common sense though when I started and almost learned a lesson myself when I had a18350 loose in a pocket. Always overly cautious too but, like a dope I placed a battery uncased in my pocket with some coins. Coins completed the circuit and suddenly felt heat just radiating in my pocket. Quickly threw the battery across the patio. No venting, just bulged a bit.

Point being. I knew I was at fault. ...

Sorry didn't notice the forum.. and I'm off..

Be smarter... do gooderer :D

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
That should keep the damage controlled, but maybe best to keep the individual batteries separated, anyway.
They sell plastic cases for batteries. Some places ship the cases with your purchased batteries. Google 18650 plastic case... usually can get them fairly cheap...

fasttech.com ships cases with their batteries..

Side by side in a restricted contained area is fine..a bag allows them to move about and possibly have contacts touch...

Last edited:

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
The battery isn't considered stored while it's in your ProVari. It's considered in use, same as a laptop or cell phone battery. And, as with those other devices, the safest place your battery can be (excluding a safe charging bag) is... wait for it... inside your ProVari!

Imagine the havoc that would ensue if we all had to carry around extra batteries for all of the mobile devices we use. You wouldn't be able to walk out your front door without catching a whiff of someone's cell venting. There would be a triage and burn center on every corner of every busy street in every busy city. Twenty years from now, people would still be talking about "The Great Pocketed Shirt and Pants Shortage of 2013."

Please be safe, and I'm glad the OP wasn't hurt. Get a plastic battery box, there's simply no good reason to not own one if you're going to carry spares around. Always, always, always treat your batteries with the respect and caution they deserve.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
OK, based on the above information we can clear the air that this was not due to any failure of the Provari. The battery was loose in a pocket with another battery.

Is it just me,but looking at the posted photos, the battery that failed appears to be INSIDE the provari.....it's coming out of the metal tube so it appears the battery that failed was inside the mod?

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Tthis entire thread has been an eye opener.

which is why, when I help newbies, I still believe in starting them off on a good joyetech twist or spinner because it is pretty hard to blow one up and the newbie person usuallly doesn't have a whole lot of knowledge about battery safety yet and shouldn't be using a "mod".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread