Hi All - from a shaken up Provari AW 18490 battery owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
And yet, bluecat, we've yet to rule out user error as well! What else was in the pocket with these batteries, in it's entirety and well defined! What was the zipper material? What was the conductivity of it? What were the conditions in the office? Were they conducive to static electricity? Was the carpet and backpack conducive to producing static electricity?
There are WAY too many variables, that have yet to come to fruition about this to be certain of anything, and a good attorney will certainly point them all out!

TheSystemHasFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Valhalla
This is getting nowhere...the OP drops a few posts...largely devoid of the variables at play. That said, there is always the variable known as unknown.
Despite a track record (which can be an excellent gauge) of said products, there is always that one time.
Welcome to that one time...OP please come back and give us some forensics, save for the fact that the "crime scene" may already be no longer...

ALSO: From OP..." (no, there was no metal in the cushioned pocket it was in)" .

Last edited:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
This is getting nowhere...the OP drops a few posts...largely devoid of the variables at play. That said, there is always the variable known as unknown.
Despite a track record (which can be an excellent gauge) of said products, there is always that one time.
Welcome to that one time...OP please come back and give us some forensics, save for the fact that the "crime scene" may already be no longer...

ALSO: From OP..." (no, there was no metal in the cushioned pocket it was in)" .

Sorry if I come across laying blame, yes, it is possible that it just blew! I can't say, problem is with the lack of information given, and the attitude from the OP about it, I'm leaning towards user error.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Just for the record...I didn't make any speculation as to cause. I only stated we don't know for sure. :) Based on several posts. But who knows. How I read it and how a court would read it...could be entirely different.

Basically that's my point. I am not trying to speculate. It is what it is. If it was user error the OP can chalk that up and make sure he/she changes their views on battery safety. If it was a product defect every one in the line from manufacturing to end user could be sued. Unfortunately that is just business and why one big expense on many companies bottom line should be insurance.

Also why many of these don't go through the court. Attorney's fees would be outrageous for defense to the cost of a backpack damage.

I am just glad no one was hurt. These things scare me around people who don't know any better. With vaping popularity sky rocketting, well this may just be the beginning. Let face it we are humans... just like the commercial. The average consumers view is a battery you plug in and go.. Hey its just like a cell phone, I let it charge overnight under my blankets or under the cushion on the couch so I do not have to see that gnarly light that keeps me awake.

Absolutely. A fellow vapor though expressing his dismay. Maybe he knew maybe he didn't. Still as I am assuming they are a recent vaper.. Gentler voices may prevail better than some of the post I have read. A lot of what kept me from going back to smoking when I first started where many of the posters in this thread. Whether they knew it or not reading their posts was much better than any other type of smoking cessation plan I have tried.

What other species would tie a big rubberband around their ankles and jump head first toward a river 300 feet below.. just for the fun of it? I can say I did. To be in my 20's and feel invincible again.

Anyway peace my friend.. I only want the best and safest for my fellow vapers whether it is a cheap knockoff or the most expensive mod out there.

TheSystemHasFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Valhalla
Sorry if I come across laying blame, yes, it is possible that it just blew! I can't say, problem is with the lack of information given, and the attitude from the OP about it, I'm leaning towards user error.
Woah...um...

Although edited, I never said your username. To be honest, most of these posts are all tl;dr...you're good.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
And yet, bluecat, we've yet to rule out user error as well! What else was in the pocket with these batteries, in it's entirety and well defined! What was the zipper material? What was the conductivity of it? What were the conditions in the office? Were they conducive to static electricity? Was the carpet and backpack conducive to producing static electricity?
There are WAY too many variables, that have yet to come to fruition about this to be certain of anything, and a good attorney will certainly point them all out!

I don't deny that. But when do we demean a fellow vaper? Only with a Provari? A Nemesis? A "fire" battery? Otto Carver? Or do you we just take for granted that the cheap knockoffs are your fault for buying one.

My whole point was....never mind....

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Hi All... I'm new to vaping and splashed out on a provari mini....
It has become a MAJOR problem with most new vapers immediately purchasing a Mod without knowing the limitations and safety aspects. Just as an example I see many Vets warning new vapers about leaving batts charging unattended...flippantly other new vapers will chime in that they charge batts unattended and have no worries thus reinforcing terrible battery safety practice.
I'm just surprised that this type of unfortunate scenario has not occurred in greater frequency.

TheSystemHasFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Valhalla
It has become a MAJOR problem with most new vapers immediately purchasing a Mod without knowing the limitations and safety aspects. Just as an example I see many Vets warning new vapers about leaving batts charging unattended...flippantly other new vapers will chime in that they charge batts unattended and have no worries thus reinforcing terrible battery safety practice.
I'm just surprised that this type of unfortunate scenario has not occurred in greater frequency.
I agree somewhat, yet you do not know the cause, nor how long this person has lurked, just because you do not see it divulged.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I don't deny that. But when do we demean a fellow vaper? Only with a Provari? A Nemesis? A "fire" battery? Otto Carver? Or do you we just take for granted that the cheap knockoffs are your fault for buying one.

My whole point was....never mind....

No, you got me wrong!
I've been in the thread where the lady had an EGO explode, but the images clearly showed a USB charger that was not designed for 4.2v devices. Then the lady that had "something" blow up while she was charging it in the van with her two year old.
I'm all for buying the best mod and battery you can afford, but if people are either not educating themselves on the potential danger of these batteries, or being educated about them, this will become a common theme! I don't wish for this! I don't wish for people to become injured, I don't wish for property damage!
But in this day of "instant gratification" and "That will never happen to me, and if it does I'll sue someone!" type mentality, I fear a lot of changes are in store for us all.
I've certainly not meant to demean anyone in this thread, as I say, I don't know, and the OP has left a lot to speculation, so here we are!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks for the advice Katya, I'll certainly see if I can get hold of that kind of case in the UK. It was terrifying! my bag is toast and I'm embarrassed that I nearly evacuated the entire office... but very glad no one got hurt :)

You're very welcome, Lightboy! Any plastic box will do. If you have no plastic box at home, check your medicine cabinet. Do you have a small plastic bottle (expired Aspirin bottles are great)? Wrap your battery in some bubble wrap or a piece of cloth for extra protection and put it in the bottle--for now. Do you need to carry two spare batteries for your Provari? If not, leave the other one at home--in a plastic container.

Now look at the bright side!

1. You own a great APV--possibly the most reliable APV on the market. Learn how to use it (read the user's manual, watch YouTube videos (Pbusardo has a great ProVari video) and enjoy.

2. You've learned a lesson about dangers of batteries early on--it should be smooth sailing for you from now on.

3. You have made new friends on this side of the pond who will be rooting for your success.

Congratulations.

A few more tips: Be careful while charging your batteries--do not leave them unattended on a charger and don't charge overnight; take them off the charger as soon as they are fully charged; for long storage, keep your batteries charged at 40% capacity or so.

Good luck and happy vaping.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Glad you weren't hurt OP, and even more happy you shared this with us...

Also, OP needs to come back and answer a few more questions. He needs to dissect the incident a bit more, and provide us with exact details, to the best of his knowledge.

Exactly. The story of what was in that compartment with the vented battery has changed three times, and when elaboration was asked for none was provided. When a question was asked about what charger was used with the batteries and if the OP ever checked his battery voltage coming off the charger - no answers.

In as much as we take battery safety very seriously here, and want to get to the bottom of any venting accident when we can, the OP is making this impossible. Both for any concern we may have about user error or defective product out in the field, the lack of reply to matter of fact points isn't doing the community any good or doing anything to help the OP prevent a possible problem in the future. He may very well be using a crap charger that is damaging batteries. But due to lack of replies neither the OP or anyone here will ever know what was really the source of the problem.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
...Heck who would have though someone would sue McDonald for a cup of hot coffee...

That is an extremely poor example to cite. The plaintiff filed suit when McDonald's refused to pay her medical expenses.

During discovery it was revealed that, based on a consultants advice, McDonald's it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees fahrenheit to maintain optimum taste, while being aware that liquids, at 180 degrees, will cause a full thickness burn to human skin in two to seven seconds. Their reasoning was that customers who bought coffee would want it hot when they got home.

The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but it bothers me every time I hear or read about the case being trivialized.

Here is a link to a picture of the plaintiff's injuries. Stella Liebeck's injuries

Warning the injuries are horrific.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Yeah really really, didn't need to see that. Isn't the something about posting offending pic's on the forum? Umm I am offended by this, words would of been good enough to get you point across. Really? did you really have to post that Pic??? Just asking.

I replaced the embedded picture with a link. I don't think words are enough to emphasize the severity of her injuries and how offending it is that the case has become a joke. McDonald's managed to put on quite a spin on the situation to have the world laughing at the incident instead of being appalled by their arrogance.

I'm glad you were offended. :) I wish more people were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread