Hi all, how to properly vape for a lung hit? Very confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Not here. Advertising everywhere in the store, bar to sit at, talk shop, or watch a movie while you vape.
We have 1 store within 30 miles then there are 5 then 30 miles later there are 10 more stores.

Sent from tomorrow
That's how it used to be... still is on the other side of the river, but it's a fierce battle.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Im now on my 2nd attempt to quit via vaping but HOW to vape correctly is going wrong. My setup is SMOK AL85 and baby beast tank included in the starter kit, 0.4 and 0.6 coils, 45 watt power setting, and also an older iTaste V-V pencil mod with 2ml rebuildable clearomizer.
1) You can smoke a mod like a cigarette. This gives instant coughing and I am avoiding this. Coughing is why I quit vaping last time.
2) You can close your mouth over the drip tip and breathe straight into the lungs but this is where something is going wrong. It seems all I did was fill the back of the throat because after doing this and releasing the drip tip from my mouth, i can still inhale into the lungs if I want to. Why was I able to do that and where did the vapor go when I was first inhaling? It went somewhere between the mouth and the lungs but not the lungs.
3) I did this for a test, you fire the mod and, with your lips near the drip tip, breath in. NOW you went to the lungs and it burns like hell, not to mention holy crap coughing. This method would be like having a mod with a pump which pumps the vapor out of the drip tip like a home humidifier and you breathe that.
Iv watched every YT there is, and noticed that a fellow would appear to inhale at the drip tip for a long time, then out the vapor goes, or, if you observe, someone will appear to inhale with mouth closed over the drip tip, then remove the drip tip from the mouth and then quickly inhale again, and then breathe out. Did both get a lung hit?
Can someone advise the correct way? Or, whats going on here that Im not getting it?
Welcome and glad you joined.
See the search function in upper right hand corner of this post. Could type in "Smok AL85 : problem".
Looks like you are not the first person with this type of problem.
Might like to check out:
Malaysia Forum

Reactions: Tonee N

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
That's how it used to be... still is on the other side of the river, but it's a fierce battle.
I honestly wonder if they're ever gonna rethink the law considering vaping it's really harsh since it's far from being like smoking and most "research" they've done here is pretty much bs all the way...... I've read something in a local journal not long ago that researchers were pressured into finding results asap and that's how they got the overheating results......

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi CVCO & welcome
Yes you are going to have to decide whether you are more comfortable with MTL or DTL vaping because the type of device is different. If you like a free wide open air flow then DTL is for you. If you like the resistance when drawing air in, like a cig, to your mouth followed by a free inhale of air to your lungs then MTL is for you. What you purchased is a DTL device.

Another consideration is that you are vaping on power mode and not temperature control mode. In power mod when you fire the coil it gets the full set wattage to it and that means you should only press the fire button for a very short time in order to avoid overheating the coil and scorching the wicking material. Most of my vapes/firing last only 1/2 to 3/4 of one second with a draw just slightly longer than that. I like and use power mode all the time. Imafallenangel likes TC mode where you can push the fire button with impunity because the mod itself will cut the power down to the coil and prevent it from overheating. This is why he is recommending a long slow relaxed draw. I can't do that in power mode because I don't like the taste of burnt cotton. :D

I don't think the BB's premade coils are compatible with TC because I think they are Kanthal wire but I stand to be corrected. The Beast series of tanks are known for cloud production above taste but the Baby's not as bad as the Cloud or King Cloud Beast tanks. Close you air flow down some, stick with the Q2 coils, and keep your power as low as you can and its clouds are not much bigger than most good tanks.
Good luck with it.

cvco

Nov 18, 2014
Corona, CA
OMG....thanks so much you guys but I need time to digest everyones answers. I gave this a few days to gel, expecting maybe 1-2 replies lol

Ok....I can at least fill in some info since it was asked by you early. Remember, I have two mods and have turned off the SMOK and am again using the iTaste low-wattage mod with clearomizer. On the SMOK, I had turned down the air vent to 90% closed and it was still too much to handle. I got the SMOK AL85 because several people replied on YT that it would be impossible to quit smoking unless I moved up to sub-ohm. On the coils, SMOK makes a 1.5 but it was not available to purchase so at the moment I am stuck with sub-ohm unless I move on to another tank/coil.

E-juice. For the SMOK I bought ONE bottle of Brew Brothers Tobacco Flavor 70/30 18mg. One draw and i was on the ground! In the iTaste pencil mod I have Hangsen Mango 80/20 11mg and coughing is almost zero on mod-to-lung, and heavy coughing if smoked like a cigarette--which I already stopped doing.

Watts. On the AL85, I first tried 10, then 20, 35, 45....big difference between those numbers. Almost zero cloud at low watts, the AL85 doesnt seem to like to operate below 30. The coils they gave are (TFV4?) and I primed them according to SMOK instructions. Initally I put too much and flooded them, which promoted heavy leaking. I've been working on the leaking problem even more than any vaping problem and so far have not cured it. Im looking for that remedy too but wanted to restrict the topic today to just one problem.

Does my added info help with anyones reply? Meantime, i need some time to read each reply above more carefully and I sincerely thank everyone for helping here.

cvco

Nov 18, 2014
Corona, CA
Hi CVCO & welcome
Yes you are going to have to decide whether you are more comfortable with MTL or DTL vaping because the type of device is different. If you like a free wide open air flow then DTL is for you. If you like the resistance when drawing air in, like a cig, to your mouth followed by a free inhale of air to your lungs then MTL is for you. What you purchased is a DTL device.

Another consideration is that you are vaping on power mode and not temperature control mode. In power mod when you fire the coil it gets the full set wattage to it and that means you should only press the fire button for a very short time in order to avoid overheating the coil and scorching the wicking material. Most of my vapes/firing last only 1/2 to 3/4 of one second with a draw just slightly longer than that. I like and use power mode all the time. Imafallenangel likes TC mode where you can push the fire button with impunity because the mod itself will cut the power down to the coil and prevent it from overheating. This is why he is recommending a long slow relaxed draw. I can't do that in power mode because I don't like the taste of burnt cotton. :D

I don't think the BB's premade coils are compatible with TC because I think they are Kanthal wire but I stand to be corrected. The Beast series of tanks are known for cloud production above taste but the Baby's not as bad as the Cloud or King Cloud Beast tanks. Close you air flow down some, stick with the Q2 coils, and keep your power as low as you can and its clouds are not much bigger than most good tanks.
Good luck with it.

Hi and thank you!
Ok, I knew beforehand that I was buying a DTL device, the whole point was to end MTL so that coughing could be minimized (and yes that does work).

Correct, BB coils are not TC compatible so that option is not even available on the menus unless I built my own coils with titanium, etc. In my new and limited knowledge, it seems wattage control is enough (?) but yes I get your point and I have taken the time to learn about TC.

Oh! In Power Mode, am I to fire the mod only for a moment and then vape with it off? I hold the fire button down for the duration of the vape. Wrong? I bought my kit online with no instruction, I have to learn everything about this type of mod.

cvco

Nov 18, 2014
Corona, CA
I honestly wonder if they're ever gonna rethink the law considering vaping it's really harsh since it's far from being like smoking and most "research" they've done here is pretty much bs all the way...... I've read something in a local journal not long ago that researchers were pressured into finding results asap and that's how they got the overheating results......

Im an American in Malaysia and here they have all but banned vaping for the simple reason they dont understand it. Govt says real results of health wont be known for 15 years after someone starts vaping so they wish to ban it for 15 years and then see. Meantime, shops continue to open in spite of the ban, I think the shops believe in "power in numbers."

cvco

Nov 18, 2014
Corona, CA
Welcome and glad you joined.
See the search function in upper right hand corner of this post. Could type in "Smok AL85 : problem".
Looks like you are not the first person with this type of problem.
Might like to check out:
Malaysia Forum

Thank you, Bob. I'll search that. Im an american in Malaysia and would rather stay in general forums rather than Malaysia. Frankly, I have a hard time understanding Malaysian problems as they dont express things and concerns the same way westerners do. Also, I noticed there are very few entries in the Malaysian corner and mostly not since 2015. I would hate to post there and wait a year for a potential reply. Also, in the local shops the knowledge is very low, and also among the vaporers. I ask a question that I may have read about in this forum and they just stare at me blankly. Im on my own.

Reactions: BrotherBob

cvco

Nov 18, 2014
Corona, CA
There is no right or wrong way to vape or inhale.
You have to experiment with the variables to find what works best for you.

Have you tried lowering the power?
You might like it better at 18w, 30w or 41.25w or anywhere in between.
What is the Pg/Vg ratio & nic mg/ml of your e liquid?
SubΩ resistances & high watt usually dictates 3 - 6 mg/ml nic.
Pg is harsher but carries the flavor, Vg is smoother & produces more cloudz.
Have you tried an above Ω MTL delivery device with a more restrictive airflow to see if it is more what you're looking for?
Something like a nautilus mini or naut 2 with 1.8Ω bvc heads.
The wide open airflow subΩ superbeastmegababy tanks just may not be for you, they take quite a bit of airflow to keep things cool & to prevent harsh, funky, dry, hot or burnt tastes.

Are you thoroughly priming a new/unused head before the first use?
or just filling tank & zapping it with 45w.

Thank you.
The first part of your reply made me giggle. On YT there is a pretty good instruction vid about coils, and then what follows is a chorus of chatter in the comments--"youre vaping wrong! youre vaping wrong! man you are weird!"

Yes I tried watts starting at 10.

My juices are 70/30, 80/20 and also Max VG, and even straight VG with no flavor or nic.

I shut off the AL85 and am using the iTaste V-V pencil mod which Im certain is above-ohm. In that, I have Hangsen 11mg Mango, 70/30.

I primed the BB .6 coil with NOT too many drops and let it sit for a while, then vaped it without firing, then 10 watts, 20 watts for a few vapes, then 25....slowly up over the course of a day to 45 and not above, and with the air vent 90% closed. Wide open is more than a challenge for me right now. I see people on YT with the vent wide open, max watts and im pretty much shocked.

Since the topic is how to vape for a proper lung hit, do all the tanks operate or feel more or less the same? For leaking issues, not in this topic today, Im advised to try a Sense Blazer 200 since it would take SMOK Q2 coils. But would the vape experience be the same as BB otherwise?

Also, again I will ask, am i making a mistake by holding the fire button down for the duration of the draw and making things worse or harder for DTL?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Im now on my 2nd attempt to quit via vaping but HOW to vape correctly is going wrong. My setup is SMOK AL85 and baby beast tank included in the starter kit, 0.4 and 0.6 coils, 45 watt power setting, and also an older iTaste V-V pencil mod with 2ml rebuildable clearomizer.

1) You can smoke a mod like a cigarette. This gives instant coughing and I am avoiding this. Coughing is why I quit vaping last time.
2) You can close your mouth over the drip tip and breathe straight into the lungs but this is where something is going wrong. It seems all I did was fill the back of the throat because after doing this and releasing the drip tip from my mouth, i can still inhale into the lungs if I want to. Why was I able to do that and where did the vapor go when I was first inhaling? It went somewhere between the mouth and the lungs but not the lungs.
3) I did this for a test, you fire the mod and, with your lips near the drip tip, breath in. NOW you went to the lungs and it burns like hell, not to mention holy crap coughing. This method would be like having a mod with a pump which pumps the vapor out of the drip tip like a home humidifier and you breathe that.

Ive watched every YT there is, and noticed that a fellow would appear to inhale at the drip tip for a long time, then out the vapor goes, or, if you observe, someone will appear to inhale with mouth closed over the drip tip, then remove the drip tip from the mouth and then quickly inhale again, and then breathe out. Did both get a lung hit?

Can someone advise the correct way? Or, whats going on here that Im not getting it?

Good morning and welcome..

So.. first off I'm going to tell you that what will work better for you is a restricted lung hit, off a tank/atomiser that allows for this.

You can dial that smok device down to a lower wattage, and put a tank on there that will do what you personally need it to do.

So, for tanks that do restricted lung draws, you can get a Kabuki which takes nautilus coils but I like the flavor and the draw better off the Kabuki.. that said, some people do like the Triton mini.. but I've never tried that one. You an also get a nautilus mini, it provides a decent mouth to lung draw with the airflow fully open.

Then what you want to do, is to sit with your vape and light a cigarette, take a draw off your cigarette, then take a draw off your vape.. go back and forth REALLY paying attention to how your smoking.. and try and vape the exact same way.. keep at it until your able to draw off your vape the way you smoke..

It takes a little time to get it right and make it feel natural, but this method DOES work.. it's what I had to do.

I put my husband on the kabuki tank with a higher vg (80%) vaping at 11 watts on a provari and it works perfectly for him... it took him about three hours to get used to vaping.. no coughing up a lung .

That said, there will be "some" coughing for the first couple weeks because your getting tar out of your lungs, but if you set yourself up correctly, you won't cough due to vaping. And that is generally speaking, in the design of the tank. There are some tanks I just can't use because they don't work for me, and I've been vaping for three years. So.. see about getting a different tank that will work better for you.

If your willing to learn how to build your own coils, there are many more options that are great too..

Last edited:

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi and thank you!
Ok, I knew beforehand that I was buying a DTL device, the whole point was to end MTL so that coughing could be minimized (and yes that does work).

Correct, BB coils are not TC compatible so that option is not even available on the menus unless I built my own coils with titanium, etc. In my new and limited knowledge, it seems wattage control is enough (?) but yes I get your point and I have taken the time to learn about TC.

Oh! In Power Mode, am I to fire the mod only for a moment and then vape with it off? I hold the fire button down for the duration of the vape. Wrong? I bought my kit online with no instruction, I have to learn everything about this type of mod.

No in power mod you simply can't hold the fire button for a long time because it just keeps heating up. You should be vaping at the same time as firing but you may want to take your finger off the button a fraction of a second before you stop vaping just to clear the atty of vapor, not a big deal and not a requirement. I was just trying to warn you that unlike TC your finger is the only thing protecting you from scorching your wick and therefore draws on power are normally much shorter than those on TC.

Grego25

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Setups like that smok one are designed for a lower nic higher vg juice. Something like 3-6mg nic & 70+ vg is much thicker and won't leak. Sounds like you might be better off trying to figure out the other one but it might be worth trying a small bottle of juice that's more suited to sub ohm tanks before you look at new devices. I have both mtl & dl tanks. I don't really try to inhale either one different. Pretty much try things out until I like the results. Pretty much mtl like your #2 method & dl the same way but pulling harder and doing it all in one motion. Start small then work your way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ladiekali

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Thank you.
    The first part of your reply made me giggle. On YT there is a pretty good instruction vid about coils, and then what follows is a chorus of chatter in the comments--"youre vaping wrong! youre vaping wrong! man you are weird!"

Yes I tried watts starting at 10.

My juices are 70/30, 80/20 and also Max VG, and even straight VG with no flavor or nic.

I shut off the AL85 and am using the iTaste V-V pencil mod which Im certain is above-ohm. In that, I have Hangsen 11mg Mango, 70/30.

I primed the BB .6 coil with NOT too many drops and let it sit for a while, then vaped it without firing, then 10 watts, 20 watts for a few vapes, then 25....slowly up over the course of a day to 45 and not above, and with the air vent 90% closed. Wide open is more than a challenge for me right now. I see people on YT with the vent wide open, max watts and im pretty much shocked.

Since the topic is how to vape for a proper lung hit, do all the tanks operate or feel more or less the same? For leaking issues, not in this topic today, Im advised to try a Sense Blazer 200 since it would take SMOK Q2 coils. But would the vape experience be the same as BB otherwise?

Also, again I will ask, am i making a mistake by holding the fire button down for the duration of the draw and making things worse or harder for DTL?

If I guess the SMOK is capable of producing 10 times the vapor, you would need 1.1 mg ejuice on it to match the Hangsen in the iTaste. You would also need 7/93 PG/VG (note the units) to match the throat hit of the 70/30 PG/VG in the respective devices. The difference isn't that large but you get the idea.

With direct lung, the large airflow cools the coil so more power is usable and needed, but if you then don't hit it hard enough it burns. It all has to match, style etc.. The Beast etc. may be too much for you and yet the closer of the two.

cvco

Nov 18, 2014
    Corona, CA
    Thanks for the replies, im learning.

Side note...Ive quit smoking 3 times in my life and never did I cough after quitting (however, I sweated out nicotine like crazy into clothes and bed sheets. My skin stank like a tobacco factory for a good 2 weeks).

I had to mention that because it might be helpful to know that the reason I didnt cough is because i'm a shallow breather and I havent built up nic in the lung to the degree that deep breathers have. I have a portion of collapsed lung to prove it. If a person hasnt learned how to breathe deeply the lungs will shut down but can be restored by breathing exercises.

As a result, shallow breathing is likely effecting how I vape, I am not used to anything filling the lungs completely so i dont go deep. Maybe its a problem, I am not sure. When I watch YT vids, I can see they are going for max filling of the lungs in order to eject massive clouds. Me, Im in this for the nicotine, it would be OK with me if nothing was ejected. We're trying to quit smoking here and there is no fun in clouds for me.

Would this be helpful? Im an american in Malaysia and in my last trip to US in April I bought back everything for mixing and I can use ecigrecipes.com for recipe creation. I didnt want to get into mixing but economics force it as local juice is extremely expensive and 0-nic is most common. Together with the vape methods offered here, if anyone thought it would be very helpful for me to create a Beginners Batch, at least I could do it.

Last thing, the video above was helpful and though its old, the fellow (who I well know) described my No.1 (analog hits) and my No.3 (marijuana joint hits). HE TOO experienced burning and coughing when trying to vape like hitting a joint but he was correct in describing "how to get it into your lungs?" Otherwise, he suggested newcomers continue to vape like smoking a cigarette for the moment. For me, that produces coughing and then here we are at full circle.

cvco

Nov 18, 2014
    Corona, CA
    No in power mod you simply can't hold the fire button for a long time because it just keeps heating up. You should be vaping at the same time as firing but you may want to take your finger off the button a fraction of a second before you stop vaping just to clear the atty of vapor, not a big deal and not a requirement. I was just trying to warn you that unlike TC your finger is the only thing protecting you from scorching your wick and therefore draws on power are normally much shorter than those on TC.

Thats a perfect post. I got it. If people here didnt tell me about fire button control, i never would have known as it doesnt even appear in videos. So thanks.

Let me ask, then. I can fire the AL85 and observe the watts increasing on the screen progress bar. Where is the practical limit to prevent overheating the coil? Half way? Half would translate to time, so I could observe that say, 3 seconds of fire button is all I should give it and get the draw finished in that time.

By the way......on SMOKs website they say to not put any more juice in the tank than you plan to vape in one sitting, and that the tank should at that point be dry. This means to run a coil damp and not a full tank. In other words, they seem to be describing mod usage the same as others I have seen in which the user opened the tank top, dripped a few drips in, vape, put a few more drops..... really, they want this?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Well then, using any free easy draw/inhale high airflow subΩ resistance delivery device (tank) isn't for your style of vaping.
    It takes a great deal of airflow to keep the coil(s) inside such a delivery device cool & prevent wicking material from scorching / burning.
    That is a hard rapid deep inhale vs a slower smooth inhale. DTL/MTL.

Trying to MTL a delivery device designed for DTL will be less than a desirable vape.

I'm confused,,,
    E-juice. For the SMOK I bought ONE bottle of Brew Brothers Tobacco Flavor 70/30 18mg. One draw and i was on the ground! In the iTaste pencil mod I have Hangsen Mango 80/20 11mg and coughing is almost zero on mod-to-lung, and heavy coughing if smoked like a cigarette--which I already stopped doing.

70Pg/30Vg 18 mg/ml nic?
    80Pg/20Vg 11mg/ml nic?
    Or are you talking about Pg/Vg ratio as Vg/Pg?

Either way 11 - 18 mg/ml nic is gonna be harsh & cause coughing when used in a subΩ delivery device, even more so if the airflow is reduced.
    Even with an above Ω delivery device high Pg combined with 11 - 18nic is gonna be harsh & cause coughing & unpleasant inhale experiences.

So nicotine or not?
    PG/VG or VG/PG?

70 Pg / 30Vg? 80Pg / 20Vg? or the other way around.
    If 70% Pg, pg is harsher than vg, at those % pg will make most vapers cough especially if used in subΩ higher watt devices or restricted airflow.

Pg carries flavorings lets throat hit come through, Vg is smoother, produces more vapor & is sweet, mutes flavorings.

I and many others have a sensitivity to high % VG, for me anything above 60% Vg is un vapable.

My suggestion is to get a nautilus mini, nautilus2 or triton mini with 1.8Ω bvc heads. Set the air flow to the largest hole.
    Prime the head thoroughly, try 50/50 or 40pg/60vg e liquid (I have no clue on nic because I'm unclear on what your using, 0nic or 18nic) fill tank, thread together, let sit a few minutes, set watts to 8.5w, take a few vapes, increase w by .5 take a few more vapes. Keep increasing w until you find what you like most likley under 12.5w.
    Now experiment with air flow control ring to find the air flow you prefer.

Last edited:

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2016
    Let me ask, then. I can fire the AL85 and observe the watts increasing on the screen progress bar. Where is the practical limit to prevent overheating the coil? Half way? Half would translate to time, so I could observe that say, 3 seconds of fire button is all I should give it and get the draw finished in that time.

I'm not sure how you do that since best I can do is stop vaping and look quickly to catch the amps figure before it disappears, you must have eyes in the palm of your hand. No it is a (dry) hit or miss thing that you will simply learn as you vape. There is nothing on the mod's screen to indicate when the coil is getting to hot. Don't worry you'll learn fire control quickly enough.

By the way......on SMOKs website they say to not put any more juice in the tank than you plan to vape in one sitting, and that the tank should at that point be dry. This means to run a coil damp and not a full tank. In other words, they seem to be describing mod usage the same as others I have seen in which the user opened the tank top, dripped a few drips in, vape, put a few more drops..... really, they want this?

What you are describing at the end is an RDA (rebuildable dripping atomizer) which has no juice tank and is refilled by dripping onto the wicking every few vapes. With a tank for juice, and unless you are trying to change juices, ignore Smok's recommendation to run your tank dry, no one does that and I've got atty's sitting with juice in their tank for months between use, no problem beyond the occasional slow leak.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Yeah, I'd think that running your tank to nothing would produce dry hits, unfortunate flavor, and coughing.

I really can't second enough the smaller, non-sub ohm tank, honestly. You'd think that large hits of smoke that's probably going to end up HOT if your wattages are enough, regardless of nic amount (which yeah, I don't know what nicotine you are using) I'm a fan of the Nautius 2 but I use 1.8 coils at 13.8 watts, I do use pure VG and VG is smoother, the vape will be cooler (even if you do use some PG) and you'll be able to experiment more re: what works.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread