Hi everyone. Bleeding gums

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Hi @Liz f ! Welcome to ECF lovely lady!! Glad to have you here, check the forum menu, there is a contest running to win new gear. Just won a kit today myself! Woot!

On the gums, my mouth was a SHAMBLES for almost a YEAR after I quit. In large part, it was the PG causing a LOT of sensitivity, canker sores, and irritation. I fixed THAT by switching to 70% VG. Don't be afraid to floss the devil out of em, and brush your gums well also. It actually stimulates them, and promotes the healing even if the initial results are a bit.. unsettling.

Fwiw, Nicotine in and of itself, affects gingival blood flow, and accelerates periodontal bone loss. But nicotine from cigarettes is far worse, as the sticky tar makes it far more difficult to remove. Did your dentist check your pocketing? If your pocketing is greater than 4mm, you might want to consider a planar scaling now that you've quit the smokes. It can help the gums to reattach to the teeth and reduce those pockets which can hold the nicotine.

Just some thoughts. Hope it helps, and looking forward to seeing you around the forum!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I've had the same problem since totally switching to vaping 2 years ago. Dentist said smoking had restricted the blood flow in my gums for 42 years, and now that I'm not smoking...flow is normal, so any "masked" symptoms of gum problems now aren't masked. I've always brushed & flossed though, and haven't had any history of teeth nor gum problems for years, so I was confused. He also said if someone has quite a few crowns or caps, which I do, sometimes the gums at their edges are more prone to bleeding during brushing & flossing. Drinking/sipping on Coke throughout the day for years was what required the caps/crowns because of enamel wear and erosion.

He recommended getting an Oral B electric toothbrush with those rotating, vibrating head bristles & flossing even more frequently (after every meal). That's definitely been helping with the bleeding during those activities. However, in about the last 4-5 months, sometimes I've noticed a tiny bit of bleeding at the edge of 2 of my crowns first thing in the AM as soon as I wake up, before even any brushing or flossing. I've found that using a mouthwash first thing in the AM has stopped that.

Reactions: Swampus

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
latest.png

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hi all,
I started vapping in August, aboutt 3 weeks in my gums have been bleeding, went to dentist who said about me stopping smoking caused this and should settle down, which it hasn't was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I'm sure it's vapping but don't know how to solve it. Please help
Of course I can't say the cuase of your issue but here is another possibility. Vaping was causing me a bit of mouth irritation long after I stopped smoking. I got DIY supplies and cut the flavor of the commercial mix I was using 3 parts to one part. That helped. It still tasted good. Then I found a single DIY flavoring I liked that is good at just 1%. That helped too. Any of the ingrediants could be an irritation. Everybody reacts differently. One of the good reasons to do DIY is you can fine tune the liquid. While I'm getting good enough flavor some 1% flavoring the people around me at work say they don't smell the flavor and if some gets onto my clothing from handling or pocket carry my clothing doesn't reek for the rest of the day. There are a lot of good reasons to make your own.

ChiDi621

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Hi all,
I started vapping in August, aboutt 3 weeks in my gums have been bleeding, went to dentist who said about me stopping smoking caused this and should settle down, which it hasn't was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I'm sure it's vapping but don't know how to solve it. Please help
I was wondering the same thing myself - I quit cigarettes when I switched to vaping in July. The bleeding gums started a couple weeks later and still hasn't stopped! I found ecf when looking for answers. I've read on here that some people have gotten relief from Eludril mouthwash (not available in the US but I ordered some online) as well as CloSYS mouthwash (I'm going to get that too here at CVS). I've been trying to increase the water intake to stay hydrated and will add some biotene since I'm pretty sure I'm a mouth breather when I sleep at night since I often find bloody drool on my pillow in the morning. :eek:

What I'd really like to know is what others have experienced. I know it's different for everyone, but how long can the bleeding and swollen gums be expected to last?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I wrote about my bleeding gums above, which began about 6 months after quitting the smokes & switching to vaping only. Went back & looked at my calendar I'd noted it on, and it was exactly June 7 of 2014 when it started. My gums never have been swollen or sore though, which confused my dentist and I both! Also, it's only been my upper gums where the bleeding problem has been. I'm sure having the number of upper caps/crowns I have does have something to do with it for sure, because I have none on my lower teeth, and there's been NO bleeding of those gums at all, ever. So my bleeding of my upper gums has been on-going for a long time. It's only been in the last 2 weeks that I've had no bleeding.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiDi621
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread