Hi! New here and completely new to vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScaledBard

May 17, 2017
It sound like your having to charge it more than normal.

A 3000mAh battery (this is what your smok v8 kit uses), will take a few hours to charge but more than 5 hours sounds a long time for a battery of this size.

What are you using to charge it?, (eg wall adaptor, computer, ect).

Wall adapter. When I try to use the computer the light flickers. After that I went to wall adapter.

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
Glad to hear you have less heatproblems when opening the airflow.

Your set had a 2000 mAh battery: depending on the wall-adapter you're using it can easily take up to 5 hours to charge. Some of my chargers take 7+ hours to charge a 3000 mAh battery.

Charging it 3 times a day can be normal if you vape a lot. The tank you're using can use quite some liquid rather quickly. How much juice do you vape in a day?

Reactions: ScaledBard

ScaledBard

May 17, 2017
Is the heat coming from the top down or from the main body?

0.15Ohm is cart before horse IMVHO, with IR of cell and series resistance of cct and device, probably dissipating more power everywhere else than the vape-coils.

LOL. Had to read this a couple of times and slap around some brain cells to understand most of it. New to vaping, a couple of decades since I was a student of electrical properties. To answer your question, both, at differing times. Mostly heat at the top but sometimes from the bottom, as if the battery is over warm.

Reactions: Oomee

ScaledBard

May 17, 2017
Glad to hear you have less heatproblems when opening the airflow.

Your set had a 2000 mAh battery: depending on the wall-adapter you're using it can easily take up to 5 hours to charge. Some of my chargers take 7+ hours to charge a 3000 mAh battery.

Charging it 3 times a day can be normal if you vape a lot. The tank you're using can use quite some liquid rather quickly. How much juice do you vape in a day?

I vape around 3 or 4 tanks a day.

Oomee

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
UK
If the body is getting warm, it suggests that the battery itself is the source of heat.
That is not a good thing.

The site states "We always strongly recommend testing the coils with ohm-meter before using them...".
I would be checking the resistance (certainly should be no short cct!!!)and possibly increasing the resistance.
Not sure about that device, but I assume that would mean buying a higher resistance coil IDK.

As for the charging, what current is the charger rated for, and is it a good make/model.

Reactions: ScaledBard

ScaledBard

May 17, 2017
If the body is getting warm, it suggests that the battery itself is the source of heat.
That is not a good thing.

The site states "We always strongly recommend testing the coils with ohm-meter before using them...".
I would be checking the resistance (certainly should be no short cct!!!)and possibly increasing the resistance.
Not sure about that device, but I assume that would mean buying a higher resistance coil IDK.

As for the charging, what current is the charger rated for, and is it a good make/model.

Not sure on either. Started using t8 coils. Might've helped with the heat issue some. The bottom doesn't get as hot. Thank you for being so helpful.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
If your battery case is ever getting hot to the touch I would remove the cell and not use it again. Use a multimeter to test the resistance of your atomizer head and replace the battery with a quality one. You could be over taxing the cell past its safe limits, not all batteries are created equal and there isn't a single one that can handle any and all discharge rates.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The power device the OP is using (Smok v8 baby kit) is 2000mah & similar to a fat ego battery.
The cell/battery is not removable and has basic built in protections; short circuit, low resistance, low battery / over discharge.
It is designed to handle the resistances of the v8 baby m2 heads.
(.15Ω & .25)

The reason is is reccomended for advanced users has nothing to do with simplicity,, nothing to adjust, no display screen, single button etc...
It has everything to do with the low Ω heads & a single cell.
If any of the protection features fail a new / inexperienced user may not know what to do to mitigate injury or damage.

While many do recommend similar devices to new users in my opinion it is better to start with something with a screen for informational purposes and adjustable power output.
This way a new user can adjust output to find their personal sweet spot instead of being stuck with the typical output & vape quality that rises & falls with battery voltage at any given time, 4.2v - 3.3v.

Heat is a warning sign, near the top usually heat transfer from the delivery device, mid to lower body internal battery.
Warm is normal, hot as in too hot to hold or touch = bad.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
I think people shouldn't touch anything that isn't a pre-made kit especially sub ohm without understanding their battery limits and using ohms law. You can get a mobile app for the calculations, a digital multimeter for $10, and a good charger for under $50. Test every coil before you fire it, test your batteries before you use them, and always make sure your coils ohms + the wattage you are using doesn't equal more than the battery's maximum continuous draw rating for amps. It is how everyone HAD to do it before, and it is still the best way to remain safe.

Case specific I wouldn't touch a pen claiming to run sub ohm on 1 cell, particularly because I don't know what cell it is. Always err on the side of caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread