Hi there! Introducing myself and a small question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWA1997

Aug 14, 2017
Hi fellow vapers!
I'm a 20 year old guy from the Netherlands and stumbled across this forum. It seems like a great place with a lot of information :)
I have been vaping for about a year now after i failed to quit smoking cold turkey and a friend gifted me my first evod which helped him tremendously. Now, a year later i haven't bought a pack of cigarettes for the last eight months or so and are almost completely off analogs. I only very rarely smoke one or two cigarettes when someone offers me one at the bar or someplace like that. I mainly use two devices: The Smok V8 Stick with Baby Beast tank when i want some big clouds and great flavor, mainly at home and in my car. The clouds are a bit too big to use out on the street for me. As my regular daily vape i've recently switched from my old, dinged up Ego One to the iStick Pico with Melo III Mini and i'm loving it, especially the rainbow color scheme :p

This is also what my question is about: The stock Eleaf EC coils (0.3ohm @ 50 watts) tend to burn really quickly. I remember going on the same coil strong for about a month with my Ego One and now the coils for my Melo III only last about 5 days, without chain vaping and with holes poked in the cotton. Without holes the life is even shorter. Is this normal for these kinds of devices? I'm a student and don't have the largest budget so i like to have coils with a longer lifespan. Does anyone have any tips to increase the longevity of these EC coils or any recommendations for other coils that fit my device? I like using 0.3 ohm or 0.5 ohm coils for my daily vape. I make my own juice with about 75/25 VG/PG and 3mg of nicotine.

Sorry for the long post and vape on!

R.

1502721771_tmp_IMG_20170814_163531.jpg

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hi and welcome! Coil life typically depends on the juices you vape. Some simply gunk up a coil faster (especially retail juice that's heavy with sweeteners). When you start using a new coil, do you prime it well and break it in slowly, rather than just jump to 50W?

RWA1997

Aug 14, 2017
I've heard about this on other places as well. Would it matter if i get coils with bigger juice holes/intakes on the sides? I always prime them well. I glaze the juice holes untill they stop sucking up liquid and then i put some juice on the inside cotton as well. I fill up the tank, let it sit for at least 10 to 15 minutes, mostly longer if i'm busy doing other things. I start vaping at 15 watts and ramp the wattage up by 5 each drag untill i reach 50. I wait between the hits and take shorter hits as i ramp up the wattage, usually taking 2 to 3 seconds hits on the 50. If i take longer hits they tend to give a burned taste and it's enough for me.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you're getting a burnt taste on a long hit, you're essentially scorching the cotton. Once that happens, things slide downhill quickly. What happens to the vape quality at say 40-45W? That will certainly effect coil life, and if it's satisfying there's nothing magic about 50W. As an aside, the coil "rating and recommended wattage" are usually over inflated and not the best to rely on in deciding how much lower satisfies you. Why the same coil lasts a different amount in one tank or another probably has to do with how you use it and how much airflow you're pulling through.

spindrift61

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
Just want to say welcome! I use the pico as well with EC coils, and I only get burnt taste when taking long drags. Otherwise the coils last around 3 weeks. Cheers
NoobJens007, may I make a comment please. Dry hits like your talking are mostly caused by too high a wattage. The juice burns off before it has a chance to rewick. Just a thought.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Does that Smok tank you have have an RTA (rebuildable Tank Atomizer) section? If so perhaps give rebuilding a go. Once you master it the results will almost always be superior to any pre-made factory coil. Also when an RTA gets gunked you can just strip the cotton, dry burn the coil to clean it and then rewick it, the coils will last for months.
A better vape, more control and save yourself a bunch of money to boot.

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I use both 0.3 and 0.5ohm EC coil heads.
The lifespan is epic. You just need to understand that Eleaf never bothered to ascertain the watts for best longevity.
If you run them at half power they will last just fine.
Never trust the manufacturers rating.
If 30 watts on a 50 watt (max) coil is not enough vapor, buy 100w coils and vape them at 50 watts, for example.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome to ECF! I don't vape that specific coil, but I do use Nautilus coils and you might want to try their 0.7 coil, if it fits in the tank? I don't vape at high wattage at all on that coil, however. We're talking 12 watt, max. That said, they do last about 1.5 to 2 weeks and I use max VG so they get plenty of gloop. One thing that helps me with KEEPING a coil going and avoiding dry hits is inhaling for a second or two longer after I take my finger off the fire button, and that seems to help wick juice *up* on an ongoing basis, so I don't get dry hits at all. I'd agree with others who suggest maybe lowering the wattage if you can, and yes, once a coil gets even a hint of a scorch taste to it (whether it happens on day one-- had that happen with a 1.8 Nautilus coil once-- or day 50), it's just all downhill from there.

I'm hardly a coilbuilder at this point, but I did build and wick my first one and it was a lot of fun and an extremely satisfying vape, so while I find prebuilt coils handy and whatnot for out and about, I'd also suggest (when ready) looking into building your own, it was kind of a "learn as you go" process for me.

Best of luck,

Anna

RWA1997

Aug 14, 2017
Thanks for the replies, all! I will try it at 40 watts for a while and see how that goes. If that doesn't work i'll just buy some coils from the Nautilus and try those. I'll just keep trying untill i find that sweet spot with coils. I also see a lot of comments about self building. I'm already reading up om that because i have also made my first three juices last week so this seems like a good next step. However, i'm going to wait at least untill next month to get all the set-up gear and stuff to start that. And i don't know for sure if the Melo III Mini supports DIY self coils.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thanks for the replies, all! I will try it at 40 watts for a while and see how that goes. If that doesn't work i'll just buy some coils from the Nautilus and try those. I'll just keep trying untill i find that sweet spot with coils. I also see a lot of comments about self building. I'm already reading up om that because i have also made my first three juices last week so this seems like a good next step. However, i'm going to wait at least untill next month to get all the set-up gear and stuff to start that. And i don't know for sure if the Melo III Mini supports DIY self coils.

You don't have to DIY your own coils (although it IS cheaper when you do so) there are plenty of people happy with factory made drop in coils, it's really a matter of finding the tank and coil wattage range that works for you..

Welcome to ecf!

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Don't buy the Nautilus coils they won't fit trust me. I have the Melo tank and the Nautilus as well. Look at my link I sent in my earlier post that is the DIY coil.
You can try the Aspire Triton Clapton coils or the Aspire Atlantis coils they are compatible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread