Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
...who else does it? my favorite right now is 10 wraps of 30 gauge around a 1.5 mm stick...2ish ohms.

goes great on my 18350 mods.

most of my coils are 30 gauge 10 wraps, 3mm or 3.5mm
that usually works out about 2.6 ohm single and with dual coil it works on my vamo too.

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
High ohms would be around 3 ohms. 2 is normal ohms. Under 1 sub ohm. With that said I drip with 5 wraps of 32g for 1.9 to 2.1. I am now trying a twisted 32g at 1.9 ohms on a igo w. Good to me but drains the battery.

that may have been true a year or two ago, but with the new subtanks out, just about anything above 1.5 is considered high nowadays...

just my two cents.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I guess I do high(ish) ohms on drippers, but only on regulated mods that can push power. On a mech, I'm always sub-ohm.

that may have been true a year or two ago, but with the new subtanks out, just about anything above 1.5 is considered high nowadays...

just my two cents.

That's a good point, I honestly don't see much new equipment coming out with coils above 2 ohms these days, and so many are pushing their sub-ohm products.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
...who else does it? my favorite right now is 10 wraps of 30 gauge around a 1.5 mm stick...2ish ohms.

I think you're using mech mods petrotech, in which case that would be 7-8 watts. This build could be pushed up to at least 20 watts on a regulated mod without burning juice if the wicking was good and the atty had sufficient air flow, but that would be a completely different vape :)

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
I think you're using mech mods petrotech, in which case that would be 7-8 watts. This build could be pushed up to at least 20 watts on a regulated mod without burning juice if the wicking was good and the atty had sufficient air flow, but that would be a completely different vape :)

I like mechs. Not really sure why...I think is has to do with the hobbyist part of it. What kind of vape I want depends on my skill at building coils...I have plenty of regulated devices, and I did go through a "subohm phase" (is that a real thing? lol) and built a few coils that could handle 100+ watts...

but now I guess I just like to vape and still be able to see the TV. lol.

I was just wondering who else did it, because I'm tired of people looking at me crazy when I tell them I'm not running a sub-ohm coil on an RDA/mech.

Reactions: Ryedan

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
High ohms would be around 3 ohms. 2 is normal ohms. Under 1 sub ohm. With that said I drip with 5 wraps of 32g for 1.9 to 2.1. I am now trying a twisted 32g at 1.9 ohms on a igo w. Good to me but drains the battery.

That was the case when I started vaping in 2012, but I have to agree with petrotech that it's changed lately. It also depends on who you're talking to.

For me, 1.0 ohm is too high and I vape nickle builds typically at around 0.12 ohms on temperature protected mods. I set up a RDA with dual cols at 0.18 ohms a couple of days ago and it's great on a Sigelei box at 45 watts.

In general I consider 2.0 ohms high, 1.0 ohm medium and anything under 0.5 ohms low, but that's just me :)

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
Higher ohm coils perform best on regulated mods that allow you to crank up the lower needed to fire them.

Sub ohm vaping came from mechanical users who wrap lower ohm coils
To get high performance without the need for a 50 watt mod.

I have plenty of high ohm coils that perform wonderfully on a mech....I just think it has more to do with your preferred "vape style". lol

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Higher ohm coils perform best on regulated mods that allow you to crank up the lower needed to fire them.

It depends on what power a vaper wants to vape at. Low watt vapers aren't going to want to turn up the power.

Sub ohm vaping came from mechanical users who wrap lower ohm coils
To get high performance without the need for a 50 watt mod.

Yup, that was part of my journey the last few years. OTOH, I can now run low ohm, thicker wire builds on mechanical mods and turn down the power. Higher power regulated mods which can handle really low ohm Kanthal builds have really opened up the range of possibilities to explore! And then there is temperature protection to consider also.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
IMG_8665%20850x567_zpszqydrdu5.jpg

2.5mm id. , 30 ga. , 1.7 Ω coil run at 3.7-3.9 volts. Does that count? Dripper holds 1-1.5ml and can be laid on it's side without leaking, I get a good 1/2 - 1 hour between fills :D

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I have plenty of high ohm coils that perform wonderfully on a mech....I just think it has more to do with your preferred "vape style". lol

That's cool too.
Not everyone that has a corvette likes (or needs) to drive 170mph.

But if you ever want it to perform better, you know it has the ability to do so.

Vaping is an individual thing for sure.

Your mileage will vary depending on personal tastes and preferences.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I've got a mini drip, another microdrip, and a mini atty in the mail...wish I would've waited and got the merkava as well. and now I'm debating between a Kato and a MicroBig....
I keep looking at the Merkava:hubba: Definitely good stuff from them! :thumbs:

Reactions: petrotech

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
That's cool too.
Not everyone that has a corvette likes (or needs) to drive 170mph.

But if you ever want it to perform better, you know it has the ability to do so.

Vaping is an individual thing for sure.

Your mileage will vary depending on personal tastes and preferences.

it seems like my personal tastes and preferences change every month...lol.

it's weird how I smoked the same brand of cigarettes for almost 10 years, but now that I vape, I change it up all the time. next month I'll probably be running a TC mod and carry a .2 ohm coil on my mech for a backup. lol

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
In an effort to save some positive contacts on several Reos...I've been experimenting with higher ohm builds. I generally build dual coils that measure around .25-.3 ohms. That plays hell on Reo contacts over time. So...with a little effort, I've managed to get an extremely satisfying vape at .7 ohms. It's a single Clapton coil - .26ga wrapped with .30. 5 wraps on a 2mm bit. It helps to have an atty like the Stumpy, Derringer or Manta V2. Flavor is off the charts...enough vapor to make a scene, my battery seems to last forever and my contacts look brand new after a week. I really don't think I'm sacrificing any performance with this build.....but next week, I'll surely rip everything apart and go back to low ohms. Maybe not....this works very well.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
That was the case when I started vaping in 2012, but I have to agree with petrotech that it's changed lately. It also depends on who you're talking to.

For me, 1.0 ohm is too high and I vape nickle builds typically at around 0.12 ohms on temperature protected mods. I set up a RDA with dual cols at 0.18 ohms a couple of days ago and it's great on a Sigelei box at 45 watts.

In general I consider 2.0 ohms high, 1.0 ohm medium and anything under 0.5 ohms low, but that's just me :)

In 2009, 2 Ohms would be considered "high" too.

On my Janty Dura-C, I could choose between a "normal" atomizer at 1.8 Ohm, or a "H-R" atomizer at 2 Ohms.

In 2010-11, the first "low-resistance" atomizers appeared, for the Janty Ego Tank - at a surprisingly low 1.6 Ohms !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's amazing how this industry evolved in a little more than six years. That innovative, "low-resistance" atomizer would be considered *way* too high by most vapers today. :)

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA

If by high Ohms you mean lower wattage, nope, I can't go back other than for nostalgia. Lately around 20 watts is my minimum and that's before breakfast lol. But I still wonder a bit if the trend for more power will continue. At about 50 watts I don't want any higher. Some day that might be considered lower wattage? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread