High power, low ohms, thick juice effects on endurance/deepness of breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Just out of curiosity, have any of you high powered guys/gals suffered negative effects on your physical endurance (running/swimming cardio type exercises,not lifting), or other adverse effects on how deep a breath you can take?

Been noticing a chest tightening lately, but a recent cardiologist visit gave me the all clear on all fronts. I'm reasonably physically active, I lift 3-4 days a week, I used to body board regularly (before i took up vaping seriously, haven't done it much lately for other reasons..but the breathing ties into it.), and I also fence regularly (highly aerobic activity). Most of the time I don't have any issues, certainly not when I'm actually doing the physical activity...but now and again, if I've been vaping consistently throughout an evening, I get that shortness of breath, chest tightness, etc, and sometimes it seems to persist for a respectable amount of time.

I vape max vg juices, pg seems to irritate me a bit, and usually vape at about .25-.4 ohms on a mech setup. The few other people I've spoken to at local B&MS aren't the most physically active sorts, but they don't seem to have an issue, and they chain away.

lovemytank

Jun 9, 2015
Right Here
Well, as soon as someone posted being "allergic" to PG, everyone was thus I didn't list. Too many hypochondriacs out there including myself. Ill whisper "most coconuts, cinnamon, more than 10%pg including flavor, ugly unshiny vape gear and when I have less than 500ml of juice stored I get hives". Hope this helps a little.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
I'm a golfer and I pretty much exclusively walk while carrying my bag(32lbs), most courses I play are 4 miles or more walking and I have not experienced any shortness of breath whatsoever whereas I used to get gassed around the 14th hole when I was a smoker. My daily vape setup is a mech running 0.12 ohms and some DIY 80VG/20PG 4mg juice, of which I go through roughly 10ml per day with deep large lung hits. Honestly I've been vaping like this for over a year and I've only felt my lung function and capacity improve rather dramatically over the past year, so I can say I've not experienced any tightness in my chest or shortness of breath at all, despite very high wattage daily vaping.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
Well, as soon as someone posted being "allergic" to PG, everyone was thus I didn't list. Too many hypochondriacs out there including myself. Ill whisper "most coconuts, cinnamon, more than 10%pg including flavor, ugly unshiny vape gear and when I have less than 500ml of juice stored I get hives". Hope this helps a little.

I esp like the unshiny vape gear and less then 500 mls of juice..That must be it..I am running low and getting anxious. Must be giving me anxiety attacks. XD

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Just out of curiosity, have any of you high powered guys/gals suffered negative effects on your physical endurance (running/swimming cardio type exercises,not lifting), or other adverse effects on how deep a breath you can take?

Been noticing a chest tightening lately, but a recent cardiologist visit gave me the all clear on all fronts. I'm reasonably physically active, I lift 3-4 days a week, I used to body board regularly (before i took up vaping seriously, haven't done it much lately for other reasons..but the breathing ties into it.), and I also fence regularly (highly aerobic activity). Most of the time I don't have any issues, certainly not when I'm actually doing the physical activity...but now and again, if I've been vaping consistently throughout an evening, I get that shortness of breath, chest tightness, etc, and sometimes it seems to persist for a respectable amount of time.

I vape max vg juices, pg seems to irritate me a bit, and usually vape at about .25-.4 ohms on a mech setup. The few other people I've spoken to at local B&MS aren't the most physically active sorts, but they don't seem to have an issue, and they chain away.
Funny this thread pops up now lol. I just ran my first 6 minute mile since my teens this afternoon. Last year at this time, I'd struggle with an 8 minute mile and be dead to the world for the rest of the day. After my cardio workout today (lots of stuff after the run), it took me about an hour before I felt perfectly fine. I started vaping and quit smoking October of last year. I use pretty lightly flavored high VG juices, at 40 watts on my rda and 30 watts on my subtank. I

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
Interesting...so...it seems like its an issue specific to me. I tend to prefer a slightly more restrictive draw then super airy (derringer with 3 open to a side is about right to me..same with freakshow and n22 fully open. Mutation X wide open is way to airy for me.)..Most of the high powered guys I talk to are into more airy draws. I wonder if that is the culprit. I definitely get chest aches and muscle aches. I usually point the finger at lifting, but it doesn't seem consistent with the type of lifting i do. Pulling hard on a slightly restrictive draw...that seems plausible.

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
I've been feeling the same symptoms lately (tightness I the chest and a but of coughing) which seems to come about when I'm vaping Brass Knuckles, 3mg, from my Big Buddha mini. I've run the Buddha mini from .4ohms @20w to 1.6ohms @9w, but I don't feel it when using the same juice out of an EVOD clearo.

I just had a horrible thought: what if it was this tank that's doing it?? I love this thing!

Mnemerah

Nov 5, 2010
USA
I started experiencing the same issues about 2 weeks ago, which was about 3-4 weeks after I switched from MTL to lung hits. I"m almost 6 months off tobacco at this point, and I've recently noticed a tightness in my chest in the mornings, similar to but not as extreme as when I was still smoking. It is a little worrying as I'm having trouble feeling satisfied with MTL hits now that I've gotten used to lung hitting.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
My chest gets a lil heavy when I chain vape an RDA with a tight air flow. And as some others said, certain flavors seem to make it worse. If it's bothering you, try easing back on how much you vape a lil for a week and see if it gets better. Open up the air flow on your tanks when you lung hit. Experiment. Try new things. Find what works for you. Just don't go back to the logs. No matter what, you are gonna be better off. :2c:

Aadavis94

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2014
Oregon

I've noticed that if I cape before I go to the gym that I get breathless very easy. Almost like I can't get my lungs full of air. I've had to quit gaping for about an hour before the gym and I'm good. But I do get breathless if I am chain vaping. Then I just put it down for about 10-15 min and I'm all better

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
My chest gets a lil heavy when I chain vape an RDA with a tight air flow. And as some others said, certain flavors seem to make it worse. If it's bothering you, try easing back on how much you vape a lil for a week and see if it gets better. Open up the air flow on your tanks when you lung hit. Experiment. Try new things. Find what works for you. Just don't go back to the logs. No matter what, you are gonna be better off. :2c:

Oh no worries about going back to the nail coffins, I've to much invested in vaping after two years to revert. I think I've just been hitting the old mod a bit hard with some seriously thick juice and I mouth to nasal hit, or mouth to long, rarely do I full lung hit. I do prefer a more restrictive draw so I'm thinking that a previous commenter may be onto something...Constantly tugging away on a restrictive flow means my lungs chest muscles are gonna be working a bit more...

disley

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
Australia

Vaping has started having a similar effect on me.
Initially when I stopped smoking cigarettes and I started vaping at 18mg/ml nic, my lungs were the first things to improved noticeably, I'd stopped coughing and wheezing, my stamina increased, climbing long flights of stairs no longer winded me.
This was great, I was very happy.
I decreased my nic to 9mg, and began vaping almost non stop.
The nic isn't enough, if I increase it, I feel weird.
Now I'm noticing a shortness of breath and wheezing again.

Kahina

Verified Member
May 16, 2015
Land of many beaches.
It could be the high VG content you know.

This is only week six for me, but when I got my Ego One Mega and tried the 0.5 ohm coil for a few days with 50/50 PG/VG and long lung draws I started getting a heavy restricted feeling in my chest. It came as soon as I took a big draw, and dissipated after that. I went back to the 1.0 ohm coils and 70/30 PG/VG and haven't experienced the same since. From my testing, it appears to be the size of the draw and the liquid mix. Big air flow with high VG gives me what the OP describes.

This whole thing starts out as stopping smoking, but it takes on a life of it's own. People go from starter gear to bigger coils with more surface area, needing more watts to provide the heat flux, then to temp control to match the heat capacity of the coil and give a short ramp time. They then decrease the nic and change to higher VG because the bigger clouds are now too harsh. Without the ash and the stink you start vaping where you didn't use to smoke, and soon your vaping non-stop all day. By then it's got nothing to do with quitting anymore. It's all about the vape. But it's not without potential consequence.

Personally, I've found my happy medium. 5P KFL+ drilled to 2.0mm on a mech with 0.8 ohms and 70/30 PG/VG. Backup device rates similar, but is more consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread