High voltage, low resistance vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesByChance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2011
NorCal
So, this was on my someday to do list because I'm very happy vaping ~ 3.5-4.2 volts on 2.2-.2.4 ohm atty's and I posted on the new member section replying to someones question on VV passthroughs. My response on vaping at higher voltages was thoroughly shot down:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by JesByChance
............1. The v2 passthrough puts out 5.1 volts. It's solid, bulletproof, didn't damage my usb port on my computer, yada yada yada...the problem is that it is 5.1 volts. In order to have a favorable experience at 5.1 volts, your atty needs to be at about the 3.0-3.5 ohm range (or even higher) otherwise, the liquid will burn. What I've found is that I like atty's in the 2.4-2.8 ohm range and the passthrough was just too powerful for those atty's.........

I and many vets do not agree with this point. Many of us vape at or near 5 volts and use attys/cartos in the 2.5 - 2.8 ohm range without any problems. Your liquid will not "burn" but you will get nice warm vapor and good throat hit even on lower nic liquid. Many of us use 1.5 ohm dual coil cartos in the 4.5v - 5.0 volt range.

Not whining or complaining but rather I am learning that vaping seems to go in stages. The first is getting started but the next stage is tinkering around and finding a sweet spot and having a good idea of what hardware to focus on and narrowing down your choices to give you that satisfaction and not ever thinking about going back to analogs because vaping gives you so much pleasure.

Eventually, I wanted to find out more about high voltage vaping but since this was posted, I wanted to revisit it again. My experience with the V2 powercig passthrough at 5.1 volts was placing a fluxomizer at 2.3 ohms on it caused the liquid to taste burnt and really badly. The liquid was from americaneliquidstore and was 100% VG butter rum. As far as VG liquid goes, this stuff is pretty thick. I'm always on this forum and on a post here or a post there, I read that people were vaping, what I remember but cannot find again, something like 1.8 ohms at 5 volts. I'm thinking how is this possible? The atty burns so hot, how is it that the liquid can survive this type of heat and remain stable? Even now with 2.2 ohm clearomizers (Vortex 2.0 for those of you that might know it), at 4.2 volts the flavor is dulled...at 5.0 volts the liquid (blackberry champagne 80vg 20pg) has an awful taste and almost like a fuzzy throat hit, not like a clean, crisp throat hit at 3.9 volts, say. I guess my question is, what are the set ups that allow for vaping at high voltages (types of attys), what ohm and what volts is first. Second would be, does the juice matter? Does it have to be a certain type or is this where DIY juices come into play, which I haven't done at all except mixing pre-made juices. How does the vaping feel, say 1.8 ohms at 5+ volts? Example would be, for me, with a 2.4 ohm atty running at 3.7 volts with the BB Champagne 80vg/20pg 18mg nic, it's a really nice vape. Crisp and clean, nice throat hit (crisp would be the way I would describe it, not "fuzzy") and really good flavor. Upping to 5.0 volts on the same atty just tastes bad. What satisfaction comes from higher volt lower ohm vaping and how is it done?

slimest

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2011
Russia, Moscow
ecigroom.myqip.ru
If you ask about bad taste of a 2.5Ohm atomizer on 5 volts, let's count. Most users like power on their atomizers about 6-7 watts, and only some like more power. 5V with 2.5Ohm is 10watts. It's too much. Maybe someone likes this, I don't. If you want to use high volt, you should consider Ohm's law and use appropriate atomizer resistance. High volt does not mean high power, it means different heater configuration: the same power, but more heater surface and less risk to overheat a heater spots.
Anyway you shoul choose what you like most.

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Yes, 10W is typically a little hot, though it's not unreasonable.

I guess my question is, what are the set ups that allow for vaping at high voltages (types of attys), what ohm and what volts is first.

It can depend on the atomizer and cartomizer. For example, a dual coil cartomizer can consume more power (lower resistance with higher voltage) since it spreads the heat across two coils. It makes the vapor thicker and hotter without burning the juice. So, it depends on what you're using. I use a standard 3Ω Boge cartomizer and find they can handle about 5.5V before the juice starts tasting poorly, that's about 10W, but I usually vape around 7W.

Power is the benchmark in vaping since it relates to the amount of heat you are using. Power can be found quickly using the formula V2/R. It also depends on how that heat is distributed over the juice so power is not the whole story. Your really have to consider the physics of the atomizer as well.

Second would be, does the juice matter?

Yes, it can matter. For example, VG burns more easily than PG. So, a high VG juice would not be able to tolerate as much heat. It can also be a matter of flavorings. Lots of different things are used to create flavors and some of them can burn easily. Others can tolerate more heat.

For DIY, you have control over what exactly goes into your juice. You can use PG/VG ratios and flavorings that can tolerate more heat if you want a really hot vape. Some people like that. I like a more warm vape and tend to puff a lot so I can't tolerate as much power. Though, if I reduce the length of my hits, I can crank it up more.

There is a lot personal preference involved in the power you choose to vape. Some of it is due to vaping style, do you puff or do like to take quick short hits. It can also be a matter of what your juice can tolerate and the type of atomizer you are using. Every person is going to find a particular setting they like with the particular equipment they use. Broad generalizations about voltage and resistance are probably not going to hold up, but power can be useful as a general gauge to make a ballpark statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread