Hittman's Hideout

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Good morning all.

Glad you were able to do the install, Hitt.

I just learned the other day that most high amp appliances can be run 3 or 4 wire/prong....since our building code now requres that there be a neutral wire along with the ground we're going to have to change the cord on the dryer and stove to use all 4 wires and switch to 4 prong outlet. We'll also need to install arc fuses instead of regular breakers. The arc breakrs are apparently a little like the GFI outlets....they trip when an electrical arc is detected. They're much mure expensive, but in a house that is built of 100-year old wood, i think i'm ok with minimizing electrical arcs.

i'll post anotherr picture once they install the windows. Maybe today.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    The new motor I bought had two wires for the start capacitor and two wires for the 220v. No neutral. Turns out that one of the cap wires is at the same potential as one of the hot legs so the extra wire doesn't have to be used unless you want a separate capacitor for the motor instead of using a dual capacitor.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 20, 2008
    Malaga, Spain
    Hitt, was that you a few weeks ago who had a bird in the house. I heard squawking upstairs and had a young seagull looking into my apartment today.
    IMG-20170617-WA0000.jpg

IMG_20170617_173131.jpg

Reactions: FranC

Users who are viewing this thread