Hobo V3 BF RDA for $9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Got my hobo today. The 510 threads are good and the lower barrel threads on nicely. The bottom feeder pin sticks up much higher than I thought it would but I don't think it will be a problem. No noticeable machine oil either. The only con at this point is one of the grub screws is a little loose but it threads fine and feels like it will capture a wire ok.

7195c3698c952ab84f81cb13cab71ab9.jpg

10e61128e8840d16d98b761df36f0df7.jpg

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Got mine today as well (sliver). Not bad at all. Decent machining -- better than I expected for the price. Threw in a quick 26g dual coil build and it squonks and vapes well. The high feeder pin is not ideal for drainage, and is a little tight in terms of diameter, but it's very workable. No problems at all capturing the wires with the grub screws. Decent o-rings that are properly sized. Even came packed in a metal tin with a foam insert.

The only problem I had was getting the original pin out of there -- it was monstrously tight.

It won't be my favorite BF atty (that spot is presently held by the By Leo Apollo) but the Hobo clone is well worth the price charged. Good to have for when I'm working and don't want to be concerned about what happens if things get knocked around.

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Yikes, that bottom feeding pin is high. I was hoping it would have been more flush with the positve post assembly like the non BF pin in the pics on angel. That seems damn near close to the lead hole's height, no?

Looks like I'd have to use much more cotton than I'd care to use in the builds to deal with all that juice that will never get evacuated. Not ideal for a bottom feed RDA at all. At the very least not as travel friendly and leak free like others it would seem.

Still, $9 bucks, can't complain. Mine shipped out yesterday.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Yikes, that bottom feeding pin is high. I was hoping it would have been more flush with the positve post assembly like the non BF pin in the pics on angel. That seems damn near close to the lead hole's height, no?

Looks like I'd have to use much more cotton than I'd care to use in the builds to deal with all that juice that will never get evacuated. Not ideal for a bottom feed RDA at all. At the very least not as travel friendly and leak free like others it would seem.

Still, $9 bucks, can't complain. Mine shipped out yesterday.
It might look like it sticks up really high but it's below the height of the juice well, maybe 3 or 4 mm tall. No where near the height of the post holes. The angle of my picture is sadly misleading.

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Hmmm.. well... I suppose it wouldn't be difficult to just saw some of the length off of the pin before installing. That is if that process doesn't somehow mess up the threads and it's chances of holding the positive post assembly down.

That, or maybe even just angling a drill at it while it's already installed and trying to poke two holes as close to the deck as possible. Just above the assembly.

I'm unsure of such things... not my area of expertise, drills and saws and the such.

By the way, can you confirm if the BF pin is SS, or do you think it's plated brass?

Thanks

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Hmmm.. well... I suppose it wouldn't be difficult to just saw some of the length off of the pin before installing. That is if that process doesn't somehow mess up the threads and it's chances of holding the positive post assembly down.

That, or maybe even just angling a drill at it while it's already installed and trying to poke two holes as close to the deck as possible. Just above the assembly.

I'm unsure of such things... not my area of expertise, drills and saws and the such.

By the way, can you confirm if the BF pin is SS, or do you think it's plated brass?

Thanks
Looking at the pin and scratching at it with a screwdriver, I'd say it's stainless and probably the same grade steel as the base. It's definitely not top quality 316 but it's decent.

michliu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Seattle, WA
I just received mine. It's an OK atty. My biggest nit is that because the barrel screws onto the base and tightened down the air slots turn past the coils, the extra snugging down of the atty on the 510 will mean your coils aren't in front of the air slots. Pulling the cap, holding the posts while backing out the barrel is easy enough. Not so much an issue at home, but a juicy mess while driving.

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
also got mine, bf pin is included seems like it will be decent; will build and find out.

on another note i bought an origin v2 clone @ 101 and got the bf pin sold at vapin art and it makes for a nice bf atty for around 26 bucks.

edit: using the HoboV3 on my 2015 Cocobolo Woodvil, single coil 0.9 26ga kanthal and hitting just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: thetrucker

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
Don't know about this one. But just a heads up. Tonight I got two Chalice III clones from FT. The originals cost $150.00, the clones were just under $10.00. Very long story short, both clones after a two week wait and much anticipation, are in the trash :(. Both DOA. My suggestion, don't waste your money, save for the real deal.

Thomas Mitchell

Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
Manchester, Ohio
Just got mine.
No BF pin included, just a solid SS.
Hope Angle Cigs customer service is good.........
Have had issues with Anglecigs in past, their CS is responsive, but not always the outcome you want.

I ordered a stingray clone and one of the magnets in the switch was broken. Their answer was for me to head to the local home depot and buy a magnet but refunded me half the sale price.
Grabbed a updated switch off fatdaddyvapes and was good to go with 25 dollars invested in a kick ... mech.

Reactions: puffon

Thomas Mitchell

Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
Manchester, Ohio
Just got my hobo today from Angel, run away fast. It's a nightmare of a atty.
Air holes don't line up.
Bottom ring access too far down, making it impossible to remove the main body.
Positive pin will not stay still no matter how hard you wrench down the center pin.

Positive note mine did come with the BF pin.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Just got my Hobo v3 clone from AC.. Mine is the 3 piece version, body screws to base. Issues: doesn't sit flush on my Owl and BF screw, too long and not an allen. Thats it, so far.. Don't know if it will be a problem, but the center post insulator does not rotate with the post. So if you relocate, you won't have full protection.

Set up with a 1.34 ohm 2x31 twisted coil, mounted on my Smokelss Owl. Vapes pretty good.... Still a little less flavor/vapor than from the Kayfun/Mech+kick 2x31twst 1.43ohm @ approx 12watts. I have the coil center mounted, so can use with either 1 or both air holes. Works great either way, with bit more flavor when singled up. Need to go to the store for foil, so that I can try the kick in the Owl.

All in all, not bad for $13 incl shipping. Miles better than the Owl atty, the squonker came with.

Reactions: Btsmokincat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread