Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Technically both @KenD & @Anthony_Vapes are right in that there really is no way to know for sure what temp we are at no matter what mod you use including a DNAs without calibrating it properly. DNAs tend to be closer than other mods to a true temp, but differences in wire metallurgy and other factors cannot guarantee accuracy without thermocouples in coils. Hohmtech mods you have no way of actually knowing you are close without comparing it to a dna or doing a water test. Even thermocouples can become inaccurate due to improper calibration.

A good way to get things as close as possible is to set up your build, and use water on a saturated wick to insure it boils @ 212f or 100c and adjust the TCR or FSK% until the mod reads correctly at 212f or 100c from a calibration standpoint before rewicking using it with you juice.

Is it a PIA that no one wants to bother with - YES! But it is the only way I can think of to be reasonably sure your mod is properly calibrated to temp for your build no matter what mod you use. It is important that we all understand the risks and how to manage them IMHO.

Professional tech buyer (ret) here. Right on point. Thank you.

Good luck. :)

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I never thought of trying to do a test using water in the wick instead of juice. Good Idea Tpat. I can tell the difference between a Cold, a Warm, and a Hot vape though, even with using Menthol juice, so when I set my FSK Curve to just barely fire at, say 370°F, what I'm going off of is so many people say that below 400 is such a cool to cold vape for them (depending on just how far under 400 they're at), and, I also look up what Steam Engine has to offer in the way of Heat Flux numbers for a certain build and wattage range. That's just guessing on my part, I know, but that's all I have to work with at the moment as my only Evolv product is a SVD2 20 watt device and will do me absolutely No Good for what I'm trying to accomplish here. I also have to defer to folks like Tpat, SirAnthony, Mac, Happy, and anyone else that seems more knowledgeable on this subject than I, as I consider myself New to this Temp control stuff, and the reason I put my thoughts down here in posts is to garner a response from "those in the know" and steer me in the right direction if I'm off a little, or a lot. But, I think that my vape is a cold vape anyways, and try to purposely make it that way, so as to get the Full effect of my strong Menthol mix that I want even colder. I used to smoke "Kool Filter Kings" and "Spring 100's" back in the day and liked it very much.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
I never thought of trying to do a test using water in the wick instead of juice. Good Idea Tpat. I can tell the difference between a Cold, a Warm, and a Hot vape though, even with using Menthol juice, so when I set my FSK Curve to just barely fire at, say 370°F, what I'm going off of is so many people say that below 400 is such a cool to cold vape for them (depending on just how far under 400 they're at), and, I also look up what Steam Engine has to offer in the way of Heat Flux numbers for a certain build and wattage range. That's just guessing on my part, I know, but that's all I have to work with at the moment as my only Evolv product is a SVD2 20 watt device and will do me absolutely No Good for what I'm trying to accomplish here. I also have to defer to folks like Tpat, SirAnthony, Mac, Happy, and anyone else that seems more knowledgeable on this subject than I, as I consider myself New to this Temp control stuff, and the reason I put my thoughts down here in posts is to garner a response from "those in the know" and steer me in the right direction if I'm off a little, or a lot. But, I think that my vape is a cold vape anyways, and try to purposely make it that way, so as to get the Full effect of my strong Menthol mix that I want even colder. I used to smoke "Kool Filter Kings" and "Spring 100's" back in the day and liked it very much.

In a short answer, I think you nailed it. The whole point of temp control is to customize your vape how you like it. To have a constant hit without the temp climbing and to avoid dry hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
First, I take exception to you ordering me, or anyone for that matter, on what to do.
Next, since this is the second time today you've used this phrase in this exact context, I thought it comical and hence attempted humor commenting on it a second time, particularly given your choice of repeating it on a mod specific thread.
You can use any phrase you like but don't be surprised if someone in the larger world ask what the hell it means. I suspect it is used to denote only DNA chips are 'regular', eliminating any other option, so you'll probably be on your way. I do find it amusing though, if I garner correctly from your post, your opinion is being instructed sans benefit from actually having tried the FSK board
I have in no way or form ordered anyone, nor have I even suggested anything in the way of a "right" way of doing things. "Regular", common, ordinary, conventional, or anything else simply means the way pretty much everyone else does tc (and hohm tech in their titanium, nickel, and ss tc as well, I believe). I've also tried to make it clear that I'm not criticising hohm tech or their kanthal regulation. I'm really not. I'm only pointing out that it's not based on assessing the temperature by way of reading changes in resistance. You're reading things in my posts that aren't there.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tpat591

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
Evolv finally released more the of the carcinogen graphs.

Mike Petro opened a new thread here: New studies find carcinogens in vg and pg at high temps, even in tootle puffers

Temp Control is no longer a luxury, but a necessity. New data shows vaping at temps above 470 can release drastically more carcinogens than stinkies even in unflavored Ejuice.
I always felt 470/80 was the tipping point for being too hot.

The thing is a true, steady vape at say 420°F may actually be super weak and unusable.

Carcinogens suck, but tar is worse in my non medically educated experience.

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I think that it was Tpat that actually first raised the 470°F threshold Study to me in this thread. Until then, I had never even heard of a study on that subject, and I made sure that I took that into account when I did all my testing with the Slice/G2 as far as working out the sweet spot for flavor with the different juices that I mix and TC'ing Kanthal/NiCr. I think that someone asked him about where he had gotten that data from, or was he just pulling something out of his (that's the way I read it anyways), well, you know. I'm glad that he said something though, as that was a big help for me, now that I am into this Temp Control stuff, and I took him at face value, as I felt then that Tpat prolly forgot more about the subject than I had learned to this point.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
I always felt 470/80 was the tipping point for being too hot.

The thing is a true, steady vape at say 420°F may actually be super weak and unusable.

Carcinogens suck, but tar is worse in my non medically educated experience.
Agree but I always had my temps dialed that high at first as I subconsciously wanted to be at that point where I actually got some of the by products of that breakdown to give me a throat hit taste like a cig. Took a long time for me to get it through my head it wasn't good & to adjust to temps below that point & every time I had a few drinks my temps went right back there. Still do on occasion under those circumstances.

Think we actually crave that burnt flavor to some degree.

Last edited:

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
BTW Tpat, I left links to that Study on 2 different threads so those folks could read and watch that thread if they so liked. I think it that important also.

Edit; Now in 3 different threads.
Always better to know the truth, even if one doesn't like it. That thread went a little nutty there with some very stubborn, but that was to be expected.

It is stories like yours of people who successfully transition to TC & are glad they did that make a difference for others.

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Always better to know the truth, even if one doesn't like it. That thread went a little nutty there with some very stubborn, but that was to be expected.

It is stories like yours of people who successfully transition to TC & are glad they did that make a difference for others.

Yes it did, Tpat. Some folks just can't be convinced of anything that they don't like, or aren't used to. I think that that is called "An Inconvenient Truth" and we see it a lot here in these vaping forums. But when it comes to safety issues with these devices, the truth has to be known, what one does with that Truth is up to them though. I'm on my way to 70 years old, so it wouldn't bother me very much at this point in time, but, the younger folks still have a lot of years left to go, and it would behoove them to take care in their vaping habits, as the more we learn, the more we find out just how much we didn't know about vaping. Those that are not coming off of tobacco should really pay attention to all the warnings and studies now surfacing.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Problem is some folks can have great difficulty discerning between a claim and a fact (and so are susceptible to logical fallacies, to put it kindly). We all do to some degree or with some issues…like say political ideologues or Corvette lovers. ;)

There, I've been diplomatic.

Prove all things. Hold fast that which is good.

Now which of the threads went nutters? :D

[Getting my popcorn ready.]

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Ha Haaaa, I hear that I do. I agree, sometimes when a person hears that I have been vaping for over 2 years they assume that I have an answer for most everything, I don't, and I tell'em so. As an example, I'm over on an RSST thread trying to learn about the RSST Genesis Atomizer, as I have been interested in that Genny style. About a week ago I up and bought one, then went back to vape school. I really like it, it fits perfectly for my style of vaping. Some of us just love to learn new things in life, I always have anyways, and Yes, we're all stupid at some point in time on everything. I know that the more I learn about vaping, the more questions that I have.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Lot's of variety in the vape universe…and I'd like to see it remain that way. I just don't believe that any technical approach is going to solve the issues we have. Rather, there must be a cultural change away from regarding vaping ex-smokers as pariah's. As long as gov and institution persist in propagating this adverse perception, we are either at war or at their mercy. We can't survive either divided.

Enjoy the trail 52.

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Summer is coming and I'm about to buy a smaller mod that is easier to carry around but still performs similar to DNA with TC.

After reading many threads I'm about to buy Hohmtech Slice, but first I want to check some thins.

If I understand correctly, Slice is very durable. Except for paint job, every thing else is top notch. Meaning, buttons will not die in one month like Cuboid did. I can screw on any tank without damaging 510 pin. You know what I'm talking about. :D I really don't want to buy a mod that will die on me in couple of months.

And if you had to chose between Asmodus Ohmsmium and Slice, what would you choose? Ohmsmium looks nicer and more comfortable to hold, but SS TC is not on par with FSK boards. Also, battery life of 26650 should be better and Slice is much cheaper.

Oh yea, I'm running tanks with 0.5ish SS coils at 30W (40W preheat) 220C, and usually in the evening batteries (25R) are at 40%. What kind of battery life can I expect with 26650 batteries and same vaping style?

Reactions: Tpat591

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
I liked my slice enough to buy a hohm wrecker G2 from them. The kanthal TC is what I use it for, not sure about SS. It's nice to swap an atty from a mech mod and run it on the FSK chip mod without wondering what wire it's built with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread