Holland bans e-cigarettes

Discussion in 'EU Legislation' started by rolygate, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. rolygate

rolygate Forum Manager Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 24, 2009
    ECF Towers
    Mrs Schippers, the Minister of Health, announced yesterday that the sale and import of electronic cigarettes is banned from today. E-cigarettes will require a pharma license.

Very bad news for the Dutch, and a decision that will lead to the loss of thousands of lives. The Dutch pharmaceutical industry will be very happy now that their income is protected.

Holland can now prepare for a large black market, the loss of income to the state from retail sales of e-cigarettes, the loss of jobs from retailers, the money going into the hands of smugglers, thousands of smokers dying unnecessarily, and the state bearing the cost of treating their illnesses. All to save the pharma industry shareholders a few bucks.

Google Translate, the letter of notification:
    http://translate.google.com/transla...amerbrief-status-elektronische-sigaret[1].pdf

2. twohandedcreations

twohandedcreations Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2011
    orlando florida
  3. Dieseler

Dieseler ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Illinois
    That is very sad, don't the people that make these laws give them any thought before hand ?

4. fumarole

fumarole Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2009
    I wonder what size bribe it takes to kill thousands of people? Still, someone in the health ministry will be having a nice Christmas.

5. Vapeterry

Vapeterry Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 3, 2011
    AR, USA
    Thank you Rolygate for posting, very sad news that we need to be informed of.

6. rolygate

Supporting member
    Sep 24, 2009
    ECF Towers
    Looks as if all retail and web sales are banned (but only of nicotine-containing products). E-cigs with zero-nic seem to be permitted. At first glance then, this looks like a Canada situation.

7. samuelmunro

samuelmunro Full Member

Why?...too much Competition for the other other rolled weed.

8. Vapeterry

Oct 3, 2011
    AR, USA
    Rolygate how does one keep up with the world ecig bans, i happen to see only some of the news?

9. rolygate

Supporting member
    Sep 24, 2009
    ECF Towers
    Many people email me when things happen, maybe because I wear two hats: ECF Manager and also Secretary of the UK consumer association, ECCA UK. I have various Google alerts set up, and Facebook notifications.

To get probably the best overview of world legal status by country, go to Kate's Vapers Network:

Legal Trends | Vapers Network

Lots of stuff turns up on CASAA's FB page as well. Most things of note will end up here, anyway, in the Legislation or General news forums.

10. Vapeterry

Oct 3, 2011
    AR, USA
    Thank you very much for the info. i will look into it more.

11. Sophora

Sophora Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Netherlands
    Actually, it's worse. The wording in the letter suggests that the finished product is banned from sales without license. The finished product
    being the esig itself (combination of hardware + liquid), there's no mention of just nic-containing liquids.

12. Vapeterry

Oct 3, 2011
    AR, USA
    I read that link you gave, grim all over the Globe.

13. trying

trying Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 11, 2010
    usa
    The Nordic countries only allow non-nicotine E-cigarettes. Hollands close proximity to those countries might have had some influence.

14. frosting

frosting Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2011
    Connecticut
    Sad and greatly hypocritical...for a country that boasts such good health, so much freedom and a high rate of happiness.

15. Retriever

Retriever Moved On

Nov 2, 2011
    Interesting. Just hope it is not in our future. Doesn't big pharma make enough on their products already?

16. sqirl1

sqirl1 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    you'd think holland being the place where drugs are legal, nicotine wouldn't matter..... just goes to show how crazy these left-wing lunatics really are.

17. throatkick

throatkick Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2010
    FL
    Yes but what to do? Something's gotta be done to reverse this tide.

18. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 22, 2011
    North East Ohio
    All politicians, no matter of national origin are corrupt money grubbing .......s who do not think of anything more than lining their own pockets.

Gee, pot is decriminalized. Prostitution is legal. ...... is decriminalized..... but PVs are illegal? Am I missing something here?

19. jtpjc

jtpjc Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2010
    Netherlands
    I'm extremely pissed off by this. The stupidity and hypocricy of our rulemakers is mindblowing. Mrs Schippers states that nicotine is a pharmaceutical product since it is capable of influencing the state of the human body. According to this logic so is a cheese sandwich (cures hunger), but for some reason those don't need te be regulated.

20. Sophora

Sophora Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Netherlands
    Well, the first actions have been taken to reverse her decision.
    Both Stelda (Dutch consumers association) and sellers have demanded a meeting or we'll see her in court.
    (that is to say, financially Stelda is not capable of doing the last bit, the sellers have to)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.