Homemade Coil Wrapping Tool

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by gchirki, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gchirki

gchirki Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hey everyone. I came across a video online that had a tool to wrap coils. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find it. It was steel and looked a lot like the one i made but it seemed simple enough so i decided to make one myself. This thing wraps perfect micro-coils every time. you can space out your coils if you want also. Very simple to make and makes wrapping coils sooooo much easier. It isn't pretty but it works wonders. I used 2 different sized nails for the wrapping posts and used a hack-saw to saw the heads of the nails off. I keep notes on how many wraps will make a certain resistance written on the block itself. 003.jpg 004.jpg I use the top screw to hold one end of the kanthal so i can get a really tight wrap. You can torch the kanthal while it is still on the nail to help it keep shape. 005.jpg 006.jpg

2. oplholik

oplholik Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Yep, that'll work just fine, and it's cheap.

This is mine.

P1010737 (Small).jpg

3. tonyorion

tonyorion Super Member ECF Veteran

Clever and easy enough to make. Heading down to my workshop now. Thanks for the tip!

4. gchirki

ooooo that is much nicer and the washer is a great idea. I am totally stealing your design :toast:

5. bonjay

bonjay Full Member Verified Member

What size nails did you use?

6. gchirki

One is 5/64" and the other is 3/32"

I think that translates over to 2mm and 2.5mm but i could be wrong

7. oplholik

Supporting member
    I used a 1/16" drill bit. Experiment, and see what works best for you. You can put several different sizes in the block.

8. oplholik

Supporting member
    No problem, my design came from the metal one that is out there.

9. SirChiefsAlot

SirChiefsAlot Full Member

The guy that makes the coil wrapping jig is darkzero, he can be found here on ecf. You can pm him if your interested.

10. gchirki

oh sweet. thanks

11. c3 rolling

c3 rolling Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Awesome guys! Definitely gonna build one!

12. Mitey F

Mitey F Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I've got one too :) This is the beta version, the one I use now has multiple holes for different drill bits/rivets etc for different sized coils.

[​IMG]

13. gchirki

that is very nice. It would fit a lot better in my vaping toolbox too

14. Mitey F

It's nice being able to put the wire into the hole, and snug down the machine screw that threads into the aluminum... don't even need a screwdriver.

15. gchirki

Yeah i bet a wingnut screw would be even easier

wing-screw.jpg

16. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Wow!!!!!!! That is great! Thank You for sharing that.

17. Mitey F

It's actually on my to-do list. I just picked up a new TIG welder and am sticking together as much .... as possible lately :) I'm going to raid the parts bins in the garage, and find an old wing nut to tack onto the stainless machine screw.

I also made another of these for my buddy for Xmas. He lives a few thousand miles away right now, but we always get together come Christmas time, so it's going in his gift box.

18. timw69

timw69 Full Member

Wow. That is great.Thanks for the tio.I have a hard time making coils.I bet this will help.

19. Pilot

Pilot Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

You guys are so inventive!! Im a newbie but learning so much from being here. THANKS

20. spawnsharks

spawnsharks Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have a friend with access to 'Tech Shop'.. they have everything from CNC machines to laser cutters and lathes. We are going to make a few of these for friends around here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.