Homemade Coil Wrapping Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is a BRILLIANT tool. Easy enough to make & super effective. THEN...??? THEN???? HE BLOWS it by waaay overwrapping his coil, then having to "adjust" / "remove" coils.... BUT, it is just technique, the product is fine. Most of us could LIVE on the lenght's he scraps out if this is the way he does all his coil builds..... sorry, just hate to see such a good idea shown off so badly...??? or am I just grumpy???:oops:

Last edited:

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
it is a BRILLIANT tool. Easy enough to make & super effective. THEN...??? THEN???? HE BLOWS it by waaay overwrapping his coil, then having to "adjust" / "remove" coils.... BUT, it is just technique, the product is fine. Most of us could LIVE on the lenght's he scraps out if this is the way he does all his coil builds..... sorry, just hate to see such a good idea shown off so badly...??? or am I just grumpy???:oops:

I think he did that to be sure to be able to match a second coil. Not positive - but I believe that's it; I hope! I had that thought too .... wasted too much wire in the process. I can waste enough already. I do like the 'jig' from a small block of wood - or metal - whichever is handy.

FOR THE WICK: My hands shake - so I take a short piece of WICK ...... cut the end on a slight angle ....... apply a TINY drop of "Elmer's Glue" to the tip and let it harden. When ready to make up a few coils I thread it through and the hardened glue makes it pass easily. Trim is necessary anyways - so no extra material lost when I trim away the "glued end". Not necessary for some folks - but with shaky hands I have to make it easier. Works for ME and that's all that matters. NOW these jigs ...... solved another problem.

I find all THESE ideas ...... AFTER discovering the entire assembly can be bought on "fasttech" for less than $3.00! Not to the liking of some folks - but, for ME i think when they arrive in the mail and test OK ....... I'll quit winding my own. Old coots don't need to waste time! there isn't that much left to enjoy.

GREAT JIGS .......... GREAT PEOPLE ........ now I just need to STOP spending so much time on ECF and get back to chasin' nurses!

Senile Old Man Don ......... time for a NAP!

propofokgov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
www.about.me
I can honestly say (IMO) that this has got to be the best setup I've seen so far! It's exactly what I've been doing, but instead of this handy jig I've been putting a nail in a drill and turning it on :? Thanks for the idea, I hope you don't mind if I make one of my own! :)

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
Hey guys here is version 2.0 bnm 026.jpg bnm 027.jpg bnm 028.jpg Taken a few ideas from you guys. I attached a 510 to ego adapter so i could use it as a stand for building coils. It still isnt pretty but it is just a prototype. All i could do with only a chisel and a drill:blink:. 3 different sizes for wrapping. Thanks everyone for all the good tips and pics. I totally stole dark zero's design:glare:

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny

Ha, sorry man I know I was fiddly but yeah I was trying to exactly match a coil that was already built so I could use them as duals and yeah, I'm not the most polished youtube poster I guess :) that and my eyesight is not what it used to be so most time was just trying to match them wrap for wrap. that was my first and only take, shared just for the sake of sharing, the actual coil only takes a few seconds to wrap :p

also just as an fyi, I don't use the screw and nut anymore for these jigs, I just now make the jig with a small loop, stick the wire through and bend it over and then good to twist :)

Now THERE you go! Perfect! I felt kinda bad after I posted that and I actually tried to delete it, but couldn't figure out how. Second looks indeed showed more versilatility in that you can use it to unwind/straighten the wire too for precision. I LOVE the design and simplicity. Even better now without the screw/nut, which I did like for hanging the tail on, but the new way is fine too. It DO make a fine looking coil too! Looks like a spring don't it. Coat hanger wire is sort of bend resistant, wish it were harder, but would be harder to "bend" the right way. I like to anneal the kanthal wire 1st myself before, it makes bending/adjusting a lot easier.

propofokgov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
www.about.me
I can honestly say (IMO) that this has got to be the best setup I've seen so far! It's exactly what I've been doing, but instead of this handy jig I've been putting a nail in a drill and turning it on :? Thanks for the idea, I hope you don't mind if I make one of my own! :)

Here was my attempt at this jig. I made the handle short so it'll for into my kit.

uploadfromtaptalk1390083812307.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

clg2dc84

Jan 6, 2014
PA
Hey guys here is version 2.0 View attachment 296018 View attachment 296019 View attachment 296022 Taken a few ideas from you guys. I attached a 510 to ego adapter so i could use it as a stand for building coils. It still isnt pretty but it is just a prototype. All i could do with only a chisel and a drill:blink:. 3 different sizes for wrapping. Thanks everyone for all the good tips and pics. I totally stole dark zero's design:glare:

Now all you need to add is an ohm meter to the setup. You'll have a complete work station. :)

clg2dc84

Jan 6, 2014
PA
I just made a nano coil jig but do not see the option to upload the picture on my phone.
I used a bolt with a tiny hole going through for securing the bolt with some kind of binding cable. Like how utility companies use a cable lock device on the meters, but smaller. I added 2 nuts to lock in the coil lead. In the hole I epoxied a tiny drill bit.
Can't wait to try it out.
Eventually I'll figure out how to upload pictures from my android.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I took a small hex driver I had for my R/C cars and made a winding jig...just drilled a hole for one end of the wire, and hold the other end and spin the driver in my hand...perfect coils every time :)
View attachment 301191

Excellent. Subject of my appeals to advancing users several months on the thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/486794-protank-microcoil-discussion.html.

I wrote about your great adaptation on the thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ncrease-vapor-flavor-th-912.html#post11978106. Although at first the response was skeptical some advanced builders have tried it and videos made. Winding on a hand held mandrel and spooling directly off a coil with tension make a very tight turns into coils, as tight as physics allows two things to be. These go directly into your atomizer for pulsing.

I've been pushing this alternative approach harley and building result tables on the above thread to provide some road signs so-to-speak for advancing builders. Please help if you can with your attempts and results. They would be appreciated by those coming up trying to find their way to the right temp for their vape.

Good luck harley.

:)

p.s. Great tool. I'm looking for a larger hand grip as I tension twisted pair as well. If you have a source please post on the above thread. Thanks!

Harley0227

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Katy, TX, USA
Excellent. Subject of my appeals to advancing users several months on the thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/486794-protank-microcoil-discussion.html.

I wrote about your great adaptation on the thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ncrease-vapor-flavor-th-912.html#post11978106. Although at first the response was skeptical some advanced builders have tried it and videos made. Winding on a hand held mandrel and spooling directly off a coil with tension make a very tight turns into coils, as tight as physics allows two things to be. These go directly into your atomizer for pulsing.

I've been pushing this alternative approach harley and building result tables on the above thread to provide some road signs so-to-speak for advancing builders. Please help if you can with your attempts and results. They would be appreciated by those coming up trying to find their way to the right temp for their vape.

Good luck harley.

p.s. Great tool. I'm looking for a larger hand grip as I tension twisted pair as well. If you have a source please post on the above thread. Thanks!

Thanks so much MacTech, I really appreciate it!!! I will definitely start posting my results on that thread. I only try to make things a little easier to work with. Work smarter, not harder :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Thanks so much MacTech, I really appreciate it!!! I will definitely start posting my results on that thread. I only try to make things a little easier to work with. Work smarter, not harder :)

I hear ya. I'm a lazy muther harley, gotta tell ya. I hate to have to do somethin' twice! :D

And I appreciate your offer. But if you can help validate even one, say your favorite resistance target. Hopefully you hit within a couple'a hundredths Ω on that over-and-over as I do. That would be helpful. Don't forget what you wind on is most important, the Ø. Then post on your stat on http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/486794-protank-microcoil-discussion.html

Good luck.

Harley0227

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Katy, TX, USA
I hear ya. I'm a lazy muther harley, gotta tell ya. I hate to have to do somethin' twice! :D

And I appreciate your offer. But if you can help validate even one, say your favorite resistance target. Hopefully you hit within a couple'a hundredths Ω on that over-and-over as I do. That would be helpful. Don't forget what you wind on is most important, the Ø. Then post on your stat on http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/486794-protank-microcoil-discussion.html

Good luck.

Will do!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread