Hookah (Water Pipe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiviuq

Mar 2, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Im lazy so im not going to post any wiki links or anything so you can look the Hookah up for yourself on google.

I own two hookahs and have been smoking them for about 3 yrs. If you do buy one you should definitely look into properly setting it up on a forum such as hookahpro.com, hookahforum.com, hookahdomain.com

You can smoke either washed or unwashed tobacco with flavored molasses, they come in a large variety of flavors. You can also buy herbal molasses which contains no tobacco, no nicotene and no tar. Another note on the tobacco is that washed = less nicotene and unwashed = high nicotene.

Smoking the Hookah, nargileh, shisha is highly enjoyable. I find my self using it almost everyday for 30-60min a session, and when im out and about I use my e-cig. In terms of comparing the two, for me the decision comes down to convenience and ease of use going to the e-cig and awesome flavor and relaxation going to the hookah.

Again there is controversy over the health aspect for this form of smoking. Not much tests have been done even though its been prevalent for quite a while, even in the states. Most people swear its not even close to cigarettes and they cite several reasons why this is the case.

One of the best herbal shishas is called Salaam and if youre looking for profound flavor, huge clouds, no nicotene, and no tar in a smoke check this stuff out. For tobacco choices Al Fakher is a popular company of washed tobacco and Nakhla is popular for unwashed. These tobaccos are produced in the middle east and if youre wary of this fact, you can get american made shisha tobacco which is usually slightly more expensive but very popular as well; good companies to look for are starbuzz, tangiers, fantasia...you can find reviews for flavors and companies on the forums I mentioned above.

Kiviuq

Mar 2, 2009
Ontario, Canada

cekte

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Oregon
www.youtube.com
They were listed at $58 USD & change, a day or two previously. I am not sure if this was a typo, but it was published on the site, and they were available in their cart system.

Also Keep in mind CT is considered wholesale pricing as well. Going by average aprox % retail costs/mark-up/etc, I would say you can expect roughly around $150-200 USD. (?)

I believe Janty has one around the bend as well. I am unsure if they are the same model or of any time frame of release, yet. According to the small thumbnail preview of their Hookah on their sites, it looks to be a different make/design possibly.

BARENETTED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
NEW JERSEY, USA
Hey Kiv,

As a little girl (many years ago) I remember watching my Father's Aunt and My Grandfather smoking the narguila. When there were others around, they passed it aroung and shared it. Years later, when they all passed away and I got some 'street smarts' - I began to wonder about what was in that thing. I remember asking My Mother what was in it and she told me it was 'charcoal'???

Kiviuq

Mar 2, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yea, you use charcoals to cook/heat the tobacco/herbal molasses in a clay bowl, the coals are heated till red hot then placed on top. As for tests as to whether one is inhaling toxins from coals it would depend on the coal you use, and I think I read somewhere that they were minor, I mean if you were really inhaling a huge amount of chemical/toxin you would expect to emit from the coal than you would probably feel it my guess is. IMO hookah is not nearly as addictive depending on the tobacco you use as cigarettes etc. nor does it feel as harmful - as my athletic ability is not harmed from hookah use where as when I used to smoke cigs I couldnt perform athletically nearly as well. When I say athletically I really mean lung wise cardio oriented exercise.

If your narguila smoking family members were into traditional smoking I think they probably smoked unwashed plain tobacco which is far worse for you than the tobacco on the market these days. But again no one can really say for sure including my self until some real testing is done on all the tobacco/coals/pipes etc.

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
The toxins that are formed and deposited on your meat when fat drips on hot coals in a BBQ grill are more harmful then anything emited by actual coals. Especially in the small amount that you would be getting since coals produce very little smoke.

And the tobacco itself is already being vaporized with a hookah, so there's no smoke there.

So basically if you got some kind of heating element, like one of those electric grill starters, and attached it to the coal dish you would have a cheap e-hookah. You can get a small hookah for around $15-$20 on ebay. Here is an electric bbq starter for $15-
Amazon.com: Char-Broil 2984810 Electric Charcoal Starter Wand: Patio, Lawn & Garden
I bet you could even bend the metal so more of the actual heating element is over the tobacco. So for $30-$35 you could make your own smokeless e-hookah

shell

Jun 2, 2009
Long Island
Long time hookah user here. For those interested, hookahs don't burn or vape the tobacco, its a different process entirely. The tobacco is essentially "baked" by the coal. The coal heats up the entire bowl of the device until smoke is produced. If your leaves look charred on the top when you're done using your hookah, you're doing something wrong.

The only instance where the coal gets close to the leaves is when using zaghloul. This is an unflavored variation where the coal lies directly on the leaves with no tin foil or other filter.

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to the ehookah as well!

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Jo'burg, South Africa
A local medical TV programme did an article on the dangers of the hookah, it's general public acceptance as harmless and it's growing usage, even by children with parental consent. I didn't find the article particularly well researched and somewhat sensationalised, but there's enough evidence to scare me off, I'll stick to my e-cigs.

The article: Carte Blanche > M-Net

One of their sources, the National Council Against Smoking: http://againstsmoking.co.za/pages/facts-info/hubbly-bubbly-hookah-water-pipe.php

Last edited:

frogbmth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Dorset, UK
www.jantyclub.com
The sheer level of ignorance these people show is amazing.

Burn the tobacco? Have they ever even seen a hookah?

You don't burn it, you warm it. The dangers with hookah come from the burning of the coals, not the warming of the tobacco. Bad science like this is everywhere and makes my blood boil. I won't trust anybody that can't even get their basic facts straight.

Turco Chips

ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2009
Rowlett, TX (DFW area)
uh why would anyone talk about hookah as part of a quit cigarette smoking chat lol. That **** is probably worse for you than cigarettes. imagine smoking hookah the same amount as a 2 pack a day smoker?

Uh....this isn't a "quit smoking chat"....it is an "other alternatives to smoking" chat.

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread