Horrible headaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped smoking 7 weeks ago and have been vaping for about 5 weeks. For the past few days I've had really bad, can't-get-out-of-bed headaches. I stopped vaping in case that was the problem, and sure enough today I felt fine. This evening I took 4 or 5 pulls from my e-cig over the course of 10 minutes. Almost immediately I had an awful headache again - had to eat ibuprofen and lie down until it went away. So it seems the e-cig is to blame...

I've looked around on here, and have seen people talking about overdoing it, too much nic, or dehydration being to blame. But that doesn't seem to make sense - I've been drinking water all day, I only had a couple of pulls, and it's the same strength nicotine as I've been using for a month with no problem.

Anybody else had similar experiences? I really like vaping and would prefer to not have to give it up, but these headaches are unbearable...

leftfeild

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Scotland
What is the nicotine strength you're using?

I find I have a tolerance limit with vaping; I can vape a lot for a few days in a row, then I have to slow down because I'll get a headache, feel congested and have a sore neck closer to the back of my head. It seems like it takes a while to build up the nicotine in my system then I reach that point of where I just need to use low mg juice if I want to vape.

You could be intolerant to something in the juice, to the nicotine, to the pg or vg or any number of things. I wouldn't be so fast as to say it's the ecig as it's more likely the liquid; try out a higher pg or vg ratio, lower your nicotine and try out some new liquids and perhaps a different heating system. Some people don't take to cartomisers with filler in them for example though it's a pretty small percentage. What kind of ecig do you have?

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Headaches are usually too much nicotine in too short a time period (caused by the vasoconstriction effect of nicotine). Other symptoms can be rapid or irregular heartbeat, cold fingers, hazy/ill feeling

Since you triggered a headache by just vaping for a brief time after not vaping for a while that would be my first guess - your liquid may have too high nicotine for you or more than it says on the label

Other causes
Smoking Cessation
Dehydration - you have to stay hydrated with vaping
Automatic batteries (use manuals so your drag does not need to trigger a switch)
Dragging too hard (does not make more vapor with ecigs)
Biting on the end of the hard tip
The larger size of the tip of an ecig (mainly for TMJ sufferers)
Body position when vaping
PG or VG or flavoring allergy
Improperly made juice with much too high nicotine

Last edited:

Muramasa

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2011
hi, just another similar input.
i get a dull heavy headache when i am testing out my diy juice. i'm pretty darn sure they r all below mg and diying them makes them even lower due to added flavourings and menthol drops that is 0 nic. and so, too much vape in too little time = too much nic intake = headache for me. hehe.

p.s. i forget to mention i'm a migraine sufferer.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Do you have a prior history of headaches or migraines?

Yes, too much nicotine can trigger headaches, migraines or cluster headaches. I've been there while smoking, but no problems with vaping so far.

I've had experience with cluster headaches, the severe form of migraines. There are a number of possible triggers. Migraines and cluster headaches typically include a very painful reaction to light reaching the eyes and nausea.

Too much nicotine would be the primary suspect but other factors come into play, especially stress. See a doctor if the headaches persist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread