Hot ejuice diy mixing tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Disclaimer: The ejuice will be scalding hot please use extreme caution. Use only clean glass bottles or vials. This was a 950watt microwave adjust your times accordingly. 1000 watt microwaves are substantially more powerful than a 950 watt microwave and so on think of it as vaping a 7 watt atomizer then vaping at 50 watts its that much more powerful so you will need to experiment with your times with experimentation..

Please read this post before proceeding..
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/604223-trying-something-new-hot-mixing.html

Please read through the whole thread, there are some helpful posts and safety reminders before trying this.

Prepare your workspace:
Microwave%2BEjuice%2B-%2B2

Use only clean glass bottles or vials
Microwave%2BEjuice%2B-%2B9

Mix your ejuice:

Microwave%2BEjuice%2B-%2B4

I like to add my flavors in the middle of pg/vg this is a 50/50 mix 555 4mg and 50/50 M type tobacco 0mg

Microwave%2BEjuice%2B-%2B3

Place bottle near microwave center
Microwave%2BEjuice%2B-%2B5

950 Watt microwave
10ml 10 seconds each pulse three pulses 2 minute wait between each heat cycle
30ml 25 seconds each pulse three pulses 2 minute wait between each heat cycle

Use an oven mitt or quadruple folded over napkin to remove the ejuice on the first and second pulse to study the liquid
The liquid will show the separations of flavoring, pg and vg, it should look like oil slicks on different levels
Do not ever
shake during the heating or cooling cycle
If you look at the very bottom of this heated e liquid you can clearly see the line of flavoring on the bottom
this is the second heat cycle

Microwave%2BEjuice%2B-%2B7

This picture shows the third and final heat cycle you can clearly see the line is gone
Microwave%2BEjuice%2B-%2B8

Do not put a cap on the heated e juice until it cools as the pressure will build and maybe cause the glass to explode. Do use an oven mitt carefully or a folded napkin. This e liquid is hotter than you can imagine the heat even comes through the quadruple folded napkin if your not moving it to a resting spot fast.

Do
not try cooling the e liquid fast with water or ice the glass may explode let it cool naturally and 5-24 hours later enjoy your now steeped and color oxidized e liquid.. 24-36 hours for best results but its good after 5..

Your Microwave steeped e juice is now ready to rest for 5-24 hours and will taste and look like a 2+ month steeped ejuice. It's unbelievable...

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Thanks for making the effort and sharing your results - very helpful. Did you notice any evaporation as a result of heating? I always add a bit of distilled water to my mix. It may or may not evaporate in the process. As a suggestion, placing an inverted glass over the bottle might help - not only to reduce evaporation, but also to disperse any hot spots and protect against possible splashing. Thanks again.

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Heating juice over 150F will caramelize the sugars. Those caramelized particulates will float to the bottom and dissipate, giving the juice a burnt toffee like taste. If your going to heat your juice - stay below 150F. Steeping the bottle by letting it sit for a few days is much better flavorwise than heating. Just my :2c:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Heating juice over 150F will caramelize the sugars. Those caramelized particulates will float to the bottom and dissipate, giving the juice a burnt toffee like taste. If your going to heat your juice - stay below 150F. Steeping the bottle by letting it sit for a few days is much better flavorwise than heating. Just my :2c:

Exactly. And you cannot control that part of the process in a microwave. Not very well anyway, There is no "50% power", "90% power" etc. in a microwave. Rather it's on 50% of the time or 90% of the time. But when it is in operation that magnetron element is just... on, delivering 100% power when it does. Seems like a great way to ruin a liquid in a matter of a few seconds too much. A hot water bath gives you much more control.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
There is no "50% power", "90% power" etc. in a microwave. Rather it's on 50% of the time or 90% of the time. But when it is in operation that magnetron element is just... on, delivering 100% power when it does.

Good point, but It shouldn't matter either way - as long as that 100% power does not last long enough to raise the temp above 150. I doubt for example that a 5-7 second blast even at full power is enough to raise the temp that high.

Last edited:

toddrhodes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
United States
Good point, but It shouldn't matter either way - as long as that 100% power does not last long enough to raise the temp above 150. I doubt for example that a 5-7 second blast even at full power is enough to raise the temp that high.

You may be right, but microwaves and "even cooking" are never uttered in the same sentence. There are a lot of things beyond anyone's control going on in there. Now, if you were to pulse 3-5 seconds? I'd think that would be less risky but then, I'm only speculating. Heck I just mixed my first DIY last night so I'm very much a newb. But, we also just had a baby and in the little book you get from the hospital, they recommend water-bathing formula rather than nuking it. Nuking it can overheat some areas while not heating other areas enough, therefore uneven heating. You can zap some of the nutrients right out of the mixture if using a microwave.

This seems like an area where I could combine both my love for cooking and my newfound appreciation for DIY... get a sous vide agitator, set it to 149* and let that steep for you...

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States

I have not experienced this with TPA flavorings.
YMMV with ejuices that contain sugars but I am unaware of flavorings that contain sugars being used in vaping.
They would wreck uber havok on our atomizers.
Most flavoring are synthesized synthetics to mimic flavoring and contain no sugars.

Of course natural organic flavoring time will need adjusting but I do not use organic flavorings to further the study.

It simply works and works better than I expected.

I am vaping the 555 I made last night, it is supreme, very very very good.. I can taste a nuance in the flavor I have never tasted before..

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Thanks for making the effort and sharing your results - very helpful. Did you notice any evaporation as a result of heating? I always add a bit of distilled water to my mix. It may or may not evaporate in the process. As a suggestion, placing an inverted glass over the bottle might help - not only to reduce evaporation, but also to disperse any hot spots and protect against possible splashing. Thanks again.

No evaporation, if it starts to smoke, adjust your cooling cycle add a bit more time or less time heating pulse. My sweet spot for 30ml is 2 minutes cooilng, it starts a slight boil on the third an final heat cycle.

Many ways to skin a cat here, yes pulse it 3 secs over and over while peeking at the juice will work, you will definitely see it come together. It separates it, then hews it back together.

Those on the fence about it, 10ml is a great experiment size give it a try...
Don't shake it or stir it before using the microwave, I do not, just throw the recipe together and microwave it no shaking is needed at all..

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
That's what so cool about diy juices. So many different ways a person can do it. I prefer the crock pot method. Some bottles have proven flavors and a couple of new ones. Hey maybe I should but a pre cooked ham in there. That way when the ham is done its VAPING TIME LOL:vapor::vapor::vapor:

I tried this method and no, no where near a long steeped juice, yes it does mix the flavoring in very well but that was not the goal in this experiment. The goal was to reproduce a 3 month steeped e juice. M type tobacco changes significantly in a 3 month natural steep, the change is huge, I was able to mimic and better the flavor with the microwave, it was a huge success.

I am a steepologist per se' and have no problems with long steeping for experimentation whether for the better or worse. This was a huge success..

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
MN
I tried this method and no, no where near a long steeped juice, yes it does mix the flavoring in very well but that was not the goal in this experiment. The goal was to reproduce a 3 month steeped e juice. M type tobacco changes significantly in a 3 month natural steep, the change is huge, I was able to mimic and better the flavor with the microwave, it was a huge success.

I am a steepologist per se' and have no problems with long steeping for experimentation whether for the better or worse. This was a huge success..

Glad you found your way. I prefer the tried and proven true method. Who knows maybe one day you will get your very own sticky :toast:

Last edited:

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Glad you found your way. I prefer the tried and proven true method. Who knows maybe one day you will get your very own sticky :toast:

Woot I also preferred tried and true, "naturally steeping" with time and care in a dark and cool spot shaken lightly every now and then, but whoa mon' the results are purely amazing they tell no tall tales. This 555 I am vaping right now as I type is beyond any of my steeping and I have right now 40ml of naturally steeped some 4 month 555 and M type they do not compare very close but no. I know its a shocker to say, "hey look here, this method works better than that method or hey here's a new right in your face type scenario but here it is and I guarantee you cannot reproduce this without time. Perhaps quicker with slow cooking but yeah that will still take at least a few weeks or months to reach the steeping point I am posting about. It shocked me as well! Truly a holy cow go cubs moment..

Once again taste are subjective and mine tell me this is awesome...:laugh:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States

How so? Have you ever had caramelized sugar in your hot coffee?
Let’s consult Wikipedia:
Caramelization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caramelization temperatures[1]
Sugar Temperature
Fructose 110°C, 230°F
Galactose 160°C, 320°F
Glucose 160°C, 320°F
Sucrose 160°C, 320°F
Maltose 180°C, 356°F

Nowhere close to 150F.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Your Microwave steeped e juice is now ready to rest for 5-24 hours and will taste and look like a 2+ month steeped ejuice. It's unbelievable...

Excellent! Thank you very much!
Actually I already tried my juices in microwave, but since I have rather simple flavors I was not going to advertise results.
For those who are comparing microwave with crock pot steeping: it is completely different techniques. Crock pot gives only heating, while microwave introduce (in addition to heat) molecular movements (shake them). Actually, microwaves are used in labs to greatly accelerate some chemical procedures. So, in my opinion, microwave steeping has sound scientific backing and I definitely will try it again as soon as I start to mix more complex flavors (hope soon).

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Sugar Temperature
Fructose 110°C, 230°F
Galactose 160°C, 320°F
Glucose 160°C, 320°F
Sucrose 160°C, 320°F
Maltose 180°C, 356°F

Nowhere close to 150F.

The only one that could pose a concern is perhaps Fructose - a naturally occurring ingredient in fruits. Could it also be an ingredient in any tobacco flavors we vape? For example Blueberry tobacco, or even tobacco essence derived from tobacco leaves. Many of Hangsen tobaccos are just that - an essence.

Last edited:

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
PG's boiling point is 370 degrees Fahrenheit. VG's boiling point is over 550 degrees Fahrenheit. So it is possible to create some incredibly hot liquid in the microwave- FAR hotter than any water based liquid. Please be careful here, folks! :blink:

I want to try this with some tobacco recipes before adding the nicotine. I am intrigued with the findings so far. :)

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I want to try this with some tobacco recipes before adding the nicotine. I am intrigued with the findings so far. :)

Interesting thing – does nicotine take part in steeping process?

If yes – it makes no sense to steep without nicotine.
If no – we can dilute our flavorings with PG/VG solution of choice right after delivery and let them steep. Then we’ll have ready to mix flavors that do not need further steeping.

Does anybody tried to steep without nicotine and vape right after addition of nicotine in solution?

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
@Alien, I always steep with nic added, some e juices I make @0mg for close to bedtime vapes and they are less enjoyable less tasty than a nic ejuice. Nic really adds something special to the process. However, concerning nic strength in the microwave the nic seems to rise in mg, call me late for supper when gumbo is being served but without a nic kit to measure; by feel, it seems stronger, so I have no concern about using it in the microwave over losing my dialed mg strength..

@Johnny, you said it mon' the heated mixture is incredibly hot, extreme caution..

I have some capella's due in tomorrow and ill be able to do a new unknown flavor and unknown tastes experiment while steeping naturally for a few weeks to compare backwards.. Microwave vs naturally steeped. I have no idea what capella's flavoring contain they do not have a full disclosure msds like TPA offers that I am aware of..

Sweet tangerine
Ny cheesecake
Double fudge brownie

Those flavors are the reason I wanted to try something new
so glad the wizard stocked capellas and everyone says they need steeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread