hot spot on top of coil going from wick to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

xplumberx

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2012
So. Cal
You want the top part of your wick as close to the center post as possible without touching!

30.jpg

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
The rolling paper method is great to make sure that you've oxidized the wick enough. Make sure that the wire coming from the top of the wick to the center post is almost parallel or a wee bit higher and gently attach it to the post. I have a habit of really pulling it tight and tightening the screws around the wire which caused hot spots for me. Also try counterclockwise around the bottom screw, clockwise around the wick and counter clockwise around center post.

Scottinboca

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
Planet Vapton
I have tried the drill bit method, but the coils are never touching the wick enough so I get less vapor and more heat.
scott, (I swear no sarcasm) thats what causes it? I always thought that lack of liquid was the reason for hot spots. i may have to try the rolling paper trick ive been using the drill bit method

bikerdudejl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2012
ma
scott, ill try and grab some papers tomorrow night (will have a new juice order in, dont want to waste anymore) and give that a shot again. Thanks for being helpful guys, ill let you know how i make out! I just really want to fall in love with the rebuildables, im such a tinkerer and this turns vaping into more of a hobby!

JazzyTech

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
California
Not from the wick; I'm essentially doubling the size of the wire making less resistance than the rest of the coil. You could use NR wire to do this, but I find it easier to just fold the ends back towards the coil wrapping it as I go. However, having larger washers would probably be the best option. I haven't tried that yet. you can also just make your wrap around the top post, then twist the extra around the wire back toward the coil...

Last edited:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I use the "double back" method also, especially on the AGA-T, where the distance from the wick to the center post is fairly wide, compared to some of the other types. Alternately, Ace hardware has a good selection of small stainless washers, which can be installed under the top nut of the center post.

JazzyTech

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
California
I use the "double back" method also, especially on the AGA-T, where the distance from the wick to the center post is fairly wide, compared to some of the other types. Alternately, Ace hardware has a good selection of small stainless washers, which can be installed under the top nut of the center post.

Ah, Ace Hardware! Thanks for the reminder :) I like my AGAs. "double back" is a great way to describe the method. Noted.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I need some clarification here as it seems that some are talking about the top coil being excessively heated and others are talking about the short section of wire that goes from the wick/coil to the center post, I am getting confused here, maybe others are also.

By the way ,I just added two small washers to the center post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread