Status
Not open for further replies.

Marina2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2015
USA
It's encouraging to note that the amendment passed by a 31- 19 vote.

According to the AVA, "The 2017 spending and budget bills may not be voted by the full House and Senate until the end of the year, so uncertainty in the market will continue to linger."

A lot can change in that time so it's important that we continue to contact our legislators and encourage them to support vaping in any way possible.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
"Introduced by GOP Rep. Tom Cole and Democrat Rep. Sanford Bishop, the amendment passed by 31-19 despite the protestations of Democratic National Committee Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz."

Kudos to Rep. Cole and Bishop. Meanwhile, Debbie Wasserman Schultz remains the most hideous person in congress.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
So, there are a bunch of changes from HR 2058, some not so good.

I still think we're making progress. From the e-cig seizures by the FDA in 2009 to this.
wink.gif

vapcongress.gif

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
So, there are a bunch of changes from HR 2058, some not so good.
The chances of HR2058 passing is slim at best. The changes made in the amendment over last year, and HR2048, where obviously put in to get more support. If you listen to the hearing there are a number of people who voted for it (including 3 democrats) who did not support the amendment last year.

There is going to be regulation. The alternative is the proposed FDA deeming with the Feb. 15 2007 grandfather date, which is nothing less then a complete ban. Without some compromises it would be dead in the water with no chance of making it through the budget process.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
If you listen to the hearing there are a number of people who voted for it (including 3 democrats) who did not support the amendment last year.
According to Kent, only 2 democrats. I'll take his word for it, rather than look further.

Congressional action on electronic cigarette regulations may save vapers

National Republicans have been pretty much OK about vaping, and I have a feeling that might begin to spread among State and local Republicans, who in general have been awful. It could become more and more of a partisan fight, which isn't good, but a lot better than support from neither party.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
According to Kent, only 2 democrats. I'll take his word for it, rather than look further.

I did 'deep search' for a listing of the yeas and nays and came up with nothing from the 'usual suspects' - .gov, Thomas, etc. etc. and ending up 'rewinding' the video and writing down the results. I wasn't sure but the totals worked out right. Chaka Fattah (D) was absent. He has more 'important' (to him) things going on now:

Chaka Fattah corruption trial testimony pushed back to May 16

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If they can ban the sale of mods with replacable batteries and nic concentrate that would end vaping as I know it. I've got a comfortable supply of nic, nearly, but not enough mods for my 10 years cushion.
IMHO...

If they ban the sale of nicotine concentrate...

There will no longer be any vape shops...
And there will eventually no longer be any mods...

Well, unless you make them yourself.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
IMHO...

If they ban the sale of nicotine concentrate...

There will no longer be any vape shops...
And there will eventually no longer be any mods...

Well, unless you make them yourself.

I wouldn't worry about that just yet--the recent House Committee vote demonstrates that there are a large number of people in government that see the lifesaving potential of vaping devices.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I wouldn't worry about that just yet--the recent House Committee vote demonstrates that there are a large number of people in government that see the lifesaving potential of vaping devices.
Yeah, that was something I never thought I'd see.
At least not in time to help.

I guess maybe enough Congress-Critters now know someone that vapes.
That's what I've been waiting for, and hope that's the case.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
And better, a "growing" support!

Yes. And one thing that I think is important about the House Committee vote is that the comments become part of the record. Another great thing is that the anti-crowd revealed their utter lack of knowledge on the subject matter--crystal clear to anyone that already knows anything about vapor products.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
If they can ban the sale of mods with replacable batteries and nic concentrate that would end vaping as I know it. I've got a comfortable supply of nic, nearly, but not enough mods for my 10 years cushion.

Mods are easy enough to build. They'll be available no matter the regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread