Not open for further replies.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
PM me if you want me to test it. It might be fine, or it might be usable if you know the actual nic level. I do not think it is BAD nic, just not necessarily the labeled concentration. This DOES however, if you don't know, make it DANGEROUS nic.

You know I have had it in the freezer (using your method) since February of this year. It was labeled 36 mgs. I got some in PG and some in VG and mixed them 50/50 before freezing. I defrosted some last week to use and it has a dirty feet smell lol (lack of better description) so I was seriously thinking of dumping it anyway. I also have some 100 mg in 100% PG from RTS that has been in the freezer with no issues. If you would like this nic I will gladly send it to you.

Stop Smoking

Mar 10, 2011
Rio Rancho, nm
This is the kind of data that is going to destroy independent DIY and promote regulatory nightmares. 277 is beyond error, it is frank malpractice and irresponsibility. Agree with the ban- but am more prone to want to get the word out that they need to be boycotted. We are talking serious toxicity- nice science to show it. Got it in a screen shot. Pictures say a thousand words and 277 mg/ml.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Thanks Kurt, as already said, this is a wonderful service you're doing for the community. This is the proof that I'd previously talked about. I'm not one to go throwing around hard accusations before facts are presented. Until now, there haven't been any. Are they banned yet? It should have happened immediately.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Thanks Kurt, as already said, this is a wonderful service you're doing for the community. This is the proof that I'd previously talked about. I'm not one to go throwing around hard accusations before facts are presented. Until now, there haven't been any. Are they banned yet? It should have happened immediately.

They were never an approved supplier here. Neither is Gourmet Vapor and I find that odd since this IS the largest e-cig forum.

mj64

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2011
State of Confusion
They were never an approved supplier here. Neither is Gourmet Vapor and I find that odd since this IS the largest e-cig forum.

Supplier approval is not endorsement, its just compliance with some rules and paying some cash. It probably would not make sense for a primary nic liquid base supplier to advertise here as there is a rule against them advertising over 36mg.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A

I was just wondering about that. It dawned on me after posting, that I didn't think I saw them on the list. It was just a recommendation to me when I was trying to figure out who I'd buy from. It was a tossup over BE and voidmist. BE was first, but I switched at the last second. I'm not even sure why now. Then this whole fiasco popped up. Divine intervention?

Last edited:
Reactions: DonnaVapes

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I thank you also for this information, very eye opening and surprising to me. I have gotten nic from ecigexpress and one stop DIY. Has anybody had issues with these? So amazing and surprising how they are so far off!

I have had awesome experience with Kim at OSDIY. You will be hard pressed to find the same type of customer service that she provides. I have also used her nic a time or two with no issues :)

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Supplier approval is not endorsement, its just compliance with some rules and paying some cash. It probably would not make sense for a primary nic liquid base supplier to advertise here as there is a rule against them advertising over 36mg.

I was just referring the the statement about them being banned. They can't be banned if they were never a forum supplier in the first place.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I'm interested in what BE has to say now! Are you going to contact them Kurt? If that was a batch from their supplier it's totally possible it also went out to eLiquid vendors. Maybe this should also be posted in the Health and Safety sub-forum.

That sounds like a good idea, GoodDog.

I sent notification to GrimmGreen to post to his forum. Something's going to hit the fan now, lol. He is very protective of his vaping crowd.

mj64

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2011
State of Confusion
I was just referring the the statement about them being banned. They can't be banned if they were never a forum supplier in the first place.

Yeah, I understand, and now that I think about it maybe my second sentence doesn't necessarily make sense. Other suppliers who supply over 36 do advertise here, they just don't advertise those strengths.

randyith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Kurt,

This problem has scared the hell out of a lot of people. Although no one has accused us of unsafe nicotine strength the tidal wave has splashed in our direction.

We respect your integrity. We welcome you to anonymously check our nicotine and post on this forum. Please PM me with your PayPal address and cost and we will pay you to test our nicotine. We prefer that you order by another name from our website or from a trusted friend so people do not say we sent you specially handled nic for testing.

Our only concern is one of our competitors may send you in a doctored bottle.

Thank you,

Randy

lrd3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
n.j
just bumping this page along with my feedback...
what does your testing cost? i would love to help you out if i could come up with a way to do so... perhaps some of our ecf suppliers could disclose there sources to you or ALL. for futer testing... if your up for it of course..

Just to bring people back up to speed with this issue, several people here suspected that their Box Elder unflavored nic was too high compared to the labeled concentration. Someone claimed to have tested that theirs was 240 mg/mL. Others stated that theirs was also strangely strong. I, on the other hand, suspected mine was just different somehow, since it had no TH and very little odor in the 100 mg VG I bought. I offered to run full titration pH-curve analysis on any nic that was sent to me, since I was interested in nic level as well as freebase/nic-salt ratio. Several sent me samples of theirs, and I am presenting the results here, after spending much of the day doing these as accurately as possible.

At some point during the discussions, BE decided to send an email out to all its customers stating that it was impossible for anyone to receive >200 mg nic, and people should be assured that whatever the nic level was that was ordered, that was the nic level received.

Titration curves are not difficult to obtain, but to do them accurately requires specialized glassware and electronics. In my 30 year career I have done 1000s of such titrations.

What I did: I used a PASCO pH probe calibrated to within 0.001 pH points at buffer pHs of 4, 7, and 10. I also used a calibrated PASCO drop counter, allowing accuracy to within about 1/30th of a mL during the titration. I used volumetric pipets and volumetric flasks to make dilutions for the nic liquids to be titrated, and I titrated with standardized 0.0730M HCl. pH at 0 mL titrant was measured to estimate freebase/salt ratio, and pH curve was created to past the first equivalence point (2nd inflection point). Each nic sample sent to me was titrated 3 times at least, and most samples sent were enough to do another set of 3 titrations. The nic concentration was then calculated from the titrant volume at the first equivalence point, back calculating to the original sample concentration.

All samples, including my own sample, were virtually all freebase form, base on initial pH and final nic content found.

I will give the results in two columns. The first is the nic content as given on the label. Second column will be the nic conc as determined by the above method.

Nic labeled.....Nic determined

100 mg....48 mg (This one was mine. Thanks BE.)
100 mg....120 mg
100 mg....272 mg
48 mg....78 mg
36 mg....51 mg
48 mg....59 mg
100 mg....98 mg (this was my MFS 100 mg VG)

I would say the intrinsic error is less than 2% for all of these. These results are as accurate as is obtainable, IMHO. I knew the one that gave the result of 272 mg was way high when I opened it, as it was so strong in nic odor that I had to work with it in a fume hood for the dilutions. It was also honey-amber, whereas the others were either colorless or slight yellow.

272 mg nic was likely the base they diluted to 100 mg from, or else they were mistakenly sent a lot of 100 mg nic that was actually 272 mg.

I don't give a rat's ... what their excuse is, someone could well have died from this! I am a seasoned chemist, and this liquid was seriously scary to work with. Clearly there is more concern with CYA than actually testing their nic. Had they been responsible and expressed concern and actually tested their nic, this might have been avoided, but they instead chose to lie and even condescend as to how ridiculous the idea of levels being sold wrong was, and how oh so professional they are.

For this community, this is about as bad as it can get. I strongly recommend Box Elder be banned from ECF, and the word should be spread to other ecig forums. The FDA would have a field day with this. If others want their nic analyzed, PM me.

Vendors, you are now on notice. Either self-regulate and KNOW what you are selling, quantitatively, or else you are putting people, as well as the industry itself, in grave danger. I have no problem buying small quantities of unflavored nic solely for testing purposes. You have been warned.

I am seriously outraged by this. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread