Houston, we have a problem...BE nic titration results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
You guys just me here, but do these results worry anyone else about what really happened to the OP on the original post??

Can one of the moderators or someone maybe try contacting him by email??

Another ECF member and I were wondering that in an earlier PM. The OP spends most of his time on FaceBook - not here.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
You raise some good points. Police and court do criminal, this is a forum. Sloppy and dangerous may be happening. But, does it stop at suppliers? Doesn't everyone that did DIY without testing, including me, get a share of the blame? A lot of folks that do DIY share their juice....

Now, what do I test for? Nic content. OK, what else? Pesticides? Other contaminants? Which ones? What tests do I run? What equipment do I use? This is a tough slope.

I hadn't even thought about it to this extent, but you're absolutely right. It starts at the top, and continues all the way down to us. We're doing the same thing, and even selling it for money. I've seen many threads of people selling their stock they don't like. But, distribution is distribution.

At present, BE is guilty of two major things now. One, is the lack of communication pertaining to this important subject, and the second is sending out a letter stating a lie about how it couldn't have gone out wrong. It's almost like Philip Morris telling people that cigarettes don't cause cancer. The mistake that happened is minor, but not owning up to responsibility from the start is the worst part.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I'm not an attorney, or anyone remotely close to it that could determine it...so with that in mind...I personally will refrain from throwing any "criminal" verbiage around.

But indeed this is VERY scary!

I've thought about this every single time I've picked up my juice to vape since reading it. I know it's ok as it has not caused me any problems, but it is definitely planted in my mind now.

I have vaped vendor made juice that has felt either too weak or too strong in the last year and 1/2.
I have also seen numerous posts around the forum where folks were questioning the strength or lack of it in their premade juice. If I vape something too low I quickly start getting withdrawal symptoms. Too high and I get a major headache. So try not to be too fearful and just pay attention to your body for now since that is one of our only options at the moment. You will know when something is not right as far as the nic goes.

I am willing to bet that what I have from BE is going to test low. I never got the nic fix from it and is one of the reasons that it is still in my freezer and never got used.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I hadn't even thought about it to this extent, but you're absolutely right. It starts at the top, and continues all the way down to us. We're doing the same thing, and even selling it for money. I've seen many threads of people selling their stock they don't like. But, distribution is distribution.

At present, BE is guilty of two major things now. One, is the lack of communication pertaining to this important subject, and the second is sending out a letter stating a lie about how it couldn't have gone out wrong. It's almost like Philip Morris telling people that cigarettes don't cause cancer. The mistake that happened is minor, but not owning up to responsibility from the start is the worst part.

To me thats like saying if you are killed during surgery by an incompetent surgeon you are as much at fault as he is. After all you should have had the knowledge and expertise to know if he was competent or not.

Most consumers do not have the means or knowledge to test what they purchase and they should not have to.

Prettycat191

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Plano, TX
I have vaped vendor made juice that has felt either too weak or too strong in the last year and 1/2.
I have also seen numerous posts around the forum where folks were questioning the strength or lack of it in their premade juice. If I vape something too low I quickly start getting withdrawal symptoms. Too high and I get a major headache. So try not to be too fearful and just pay attention to your body for now since that is one of our only options at the moment. You will know when something is not right as far as the nic goes.

I am willing to bet that what I have from BE is going to test low. I never got the nic fix from it and is one of the reasons that it is still in my freezer and never got used.

I've obtained juice before that blew my socks off (and made me feel sick) from how strong it was, but I figured it was just the higher PG that I wasn't used to, or the nic might be too high for me (at 12 mg, I had just started vaping and didn't know my niche yet). Generally I just mixed some no nic VG with it to tame the strong TH. I'm not going to list a vendor since it's an unproven theory, but I do have some of it left still so I may test it again and see what the differences I notice are between the juices I make and those, since the difference in mg should only be 2 mg. I'm also more used to vaping now so it may not affect me as much.

randyith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
North Carolina, USA
I'm just going to play devil's advocate here to keep people on the right track. Just which part is criminal? Is it the part where they sent out some highly concentrated nic liquid, or is the part where they sent out a letter stating that could not possibly happen?

Thing is, mistakes happen all the time. Some mistakes can have very unfortunate results, while others wont cause any harm to anyone. As far as we know, this mistake didn't hurt anyone, thank God. But, they do happen. If it were criminal that they made the mistake, then is it criminal that they bottled it wrong, or criminal that they didn't test?

As far as I can tell, none of the suppliers are testing, so every single one falls under the same scrutiny as BE. Is that what you're trying to say?

I test every batch.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
I think it is nice to offer to cover the costs of the test if he does test your nic for you though.

Although chances are that I will not be sending Kurt any of my nic, I think it nicer to at least partially reimburse him for the revealing work he has already documented.

All I need is a PayPal addy...
impatient.gif

thumbsup.gif

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
To me thats like saying if you are killed during surgery by an incompetent surgeon you are as much at fault as he is. After all you should have had the knowledge and expertise to know if he was competent or not.

Most consumers do not have the means or knowledge to test what they purchase and they should not have to.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that we can't go around throwing that word around, "criminal". It's not for us to decide. It's not criminal to sell a chainsaw to a texan murder. We need to be responsible for ourselves, as the OP did, and use our noses before using something. If you call the guy at the top a criminal, then it falls all the way down the chain right to us as well.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I've obtained juice before that blew my socks off (and made me feel sick) from how strong it was, but I figured it was just the higher PG that I wasn't used to, or the nic might be too high for me (at 12 mg, I had just started vaping and didn't know my niche yet). Generally I just mixed some no nic VG with it to tame the strong TH. I'm not going to list a vendor since it's an unproven theory, but I do have some of it left still so I may test it again and see what the differences I notice are between the juices I make and those, since the difference in mg should only be 2 mg. I'm also more used to vaping now so it may not affect me as much.

I guess that part of the reason that I recognized it so easily is that my mom used to vape. Well I filled all of her cartos for her and would have to test them out before delivering them to her.
She vaped 48 mg juice so I would only take a draw or two to test but I would get a headache immediately. That probably made it much easier for me to pick up on when I vaped juice that had higher nic than was labeled. OTOH I have also reduced my nic over time and am very familiar with the symptoms of lower nic too.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
As I understand it, it's criminal if there is intent, if they know there is a problem and ignore it. It's liable since they are a chemical company purported to be knowledgeable about nicotine. Even vendors who's business is harmed by this can have a liable claim against BE. If there are injuries they better have good liability insurance.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that we can't go around throwing that word around, "criminal". It's not for us to decide. It's not criminal to sell a chainsaw to a texan murder. We need to be responsible for ourselves, as the OP did, and use our noses before using something. If you call the guy at the top a criminal, then it falls all the way down the chain right to us as well.

This is what I responded to from your post. Nothing to do with criminal :)

It starts at the top, and continues all the way down to us. We're doing the same thing, and even selling it for money. I've seen many threads of people selling their stock they don't like. But, distribution is distribution.

My response

Prettycat191

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Plano, TX

Now I understand what you messaged me earlier, couldn't figure out what chainsaws had to do with vaping lol.

Criminal means intent doesn't it? They had to have an intention to sell it at that strength without testing to verify, rather than just not being thorough. Now if there was a law about it and they still didn't test, that's criminal negligence (? I think).

Something like this could still be charged as negligence without the criminal aspect correct? (I don't know the laws about this kind of stuff, so please bear with me.)

ETA: I type too slow, GoodDog beat me to it lol

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Agree... ;)

mj64

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2011
State of Confusion

We are talking about DIY folks here, right? Just like when you DIY fix your washing machine, you took responsibility for what happens. It might be just fine, but it might short out and kill your kid. You might not like it, but you pretty much own the responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread