1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

How about nuking bottles?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Seabrook, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Seabrook

Seabrook Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Has anybody tried sterilizing their eliquid bottles in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes? Does it work? Wondering if the bottles are microwave proof.

About the only thing I use my microwave for is sterilizing my kitchen sponges and auto-defrosting food I've forgotten to take out of the freezer for my pups. I've read on the news and science sites that microwaving sponges will kill all bacteria including e coli and salmonella.

Please and thank you.

2. brokepainter

brokepainter Senior Member ECF Veteran

I would think they would melt.

3. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Super Member ECF Veteran

I wouldn't trust any plastic that isn't labeled as microwave safe in there.... even stuff that is marked microwave safe I still don't like using.

4. Hosedragger

Hosedragger Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

there may be a link between plastic in the microwave and breast cancer I don't have the article but goggle is your friend

5. GoodDog

GoodDog Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I've heard that if they aren't microwave safe, like those disposable plastic containers or plastic that food comes in, they should never be microwaved. Even on the food label it will often say do not microwave reused container. Apparently it release something toxic. It might be good for the glass bottles though. I do the same thing with my kitchen sponges. :)

6. Seabrook

Supporting member
    Welp, I guess I'll keep filling the bottles w/Everclear then and not try the microwave. Kinda sorta was hopin ......

@GoodDog: I'm going to call Tom @ Capella's tomorrow to see if he knows of a safe, quicker way. IDK why I dint think of that.

7. GoodDog

Good idea, Sea. Also ask him to go back to the old label glue so we can reuse the bottles. ;) It's a pain trying to get the labels off the white bottles.

Someone once mentioned freezing them. That also gets rid of the smell.

8. Seabrook

Supporting member
    Okay I'm back GD - just hung up from chatting with Tom. He suggested going to a restaurant supply and buying multiquat sanitizer. Ecolab distributes it, but not sure if they also manufacture it. They don't sell to the public - only by bulk to labs and wholesalers.

It evaporates, so no drying is required. Oh grief, I just accidentally toppled a bottle of Everclear on my work table - lost half the bottle:(. At $19 a bottle of EC, it's time to look for the multiquat.

So anyway, that's what Tom said - didn't mention the glue - thought I would let you go ahead on that.:D

9. Str8V8ping

Str8V8ping Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

They melt at 15 seconds . two minutes will make bottle flavor ejuice .

10. GoodDog

LOL Thanks Seabrook. I'll have to check that out. Sorry about your spill. :( Do you buy your Everclear here in Calif? I can't find it but did see some online. I wonder if they would ship it to Calif. I have noticed that they changed their plastic sealing stuff and it comes off in one piece now so instead of stabbing myself repeatedly I was able to easily get it off. LOL

11. Seabrook

Supporting member
    GoodDog, try Bev Mo. I can't find it any other place (not that I've looked that much). LiquorKing might have it, or you could possibly have a larger liquor store special order it for you.

12. GoodDog

Thanks, I have a BevCo not far from me so I'll try that. I was told by it wasn't sold in Calif when I asked for it at a liquor store. I guess he lied to me. :)

13. mostlyclassics

mostlyclassics Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Plastic bottles? No. Most of the time you'll wind up with a puddle of ook that's a real challenge to clean out of your microwave.

You can microwave glass bottles. But not the caps! When I made wine, I used to microwave clean and bone dry used wine bottles all the time. Then I discovered that a solution of sodium bisulfate did just as good a job.

But, really, a quick swish of Everclear probably works just as well and sterilizes the cap to boot. And it's easier. Pour an ounce or so into the bottle, cap it, shake vigorously, then pour the Everclear into the next bottle to sterilize.

14. Seabrook

Supporting member
    Yep, he probably just didn't know. It's not kept by the vodkas like one would guess. It's with the whiskeys where I shop.

Oh, thanks, I'll definitely have to check that out. I was told that I had to leave the EC in the bottles for at least 3 min. to fully sterilize. I fully submerge the inset droppers and the caps in a separate glass cup. You should see all the debris in the bottom of the cup when I remove them with a slotted spoon. Even hair. I wonder if it's hair from China or hair from the US distributor, LOL.

Thanks you guys for the replies and suggestions.

15. wizard10000

wizard10000 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

He didn't lie to you - you can't buy the 190 proof stuff in CA. I live in Michigan and you can't buy PGA here either - I get it from out of state. Everclear does make a 151 proof version that is sold in Michigan and in CA.

From wikipedia -

Everclear (alcohol) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

16. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I would suggest to Anyone that they Switch to Glass Bottles with Eye Dropper Tops.

You can Boil them and there isn't the Risk of Plastic Leaching or Cross Flavoring.

17. rob5482

rob5482 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I nuke my glass bottles all the time, plastic no no, it WILL melt. You could also use rubbing alch or a few drops of bleach diluted in water to sterilize the plastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.