Status
Not open for further replies.

YEOJ

Oct 23, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
I am wondering if anyone can tell me how accurate the voltmeter funtion is on the d2 or d4 charger from nitecore.... I am considering buying the digital intellicharger to avoid having to buy a multimeter... am I better off using an inexpensive multimeter to use for voltage and ohm readings on my rda/batts? Is the voltmeter acurate and reliable on the chargers, or will It crap out after a month and give me innacurate readings? While I at it what multimeter would you reccomend based on cost/reliability/accuracy?

Thanks guys, my first mechmod is in the mail and I want to get batteries/charger/meter(s) ASAP.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Well, it's a Nitecore to begin with - so good luck with that. Lot of complaints on ECF of NiteCore Behaving Badly. Personally - wouldn't have one in the house. If you get an Xtar VP1 from an authorized supplier they are backed by a two year warranty. You can get it from xtardirect.com right now for about twenty five bucks.

The displays do what they are designed to do - in context of it being a charger - and giving you a starting readout and voltage at the end of the charge cycle. If you are looking for a dedicated battery voltage checker - this ain't it.

You can get away with a cheap DVM for testing battery voltage but cheap meters are not anywhere close to accurate in the low resistance ranges we use. A $5.00 meter is ok for battery voltage and checking a PV or an atty for shorts but it cannot deliver correct resistance readings for what you need here. I tried three of them just for giggles - because I got them free at Harbor Freight - and all of them read a 1.5 ohm coil high by over 4.0 ohms.

YEOJ

Oct 23, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, it's a Nitecore to begin with - so good luck with that. Lot of complaints on ECF of NiteCore Behaving Badly. Personally - wouldn't have one in the house. If you get an Xtar VP1 from an authorized supplier they are backed by a two year warranty. You can get it from xtardirect.com right now for about twenty five bucks.

The displays do what they are designed to do - in context of it being a charger - and giving you a starting readout and voltage at the end of the charge cycle. If you are looking for a dedicated battery voltage checker - this ain't it.

You can get away with a cheap DVM for testing battery voltage but cheap meters are not anywhere close to accurate in the low resistance ranges we use. A $5.00 meter is ok for battery voltage and checking a PV or an atty for shorts but it cannot deliver correct resistance readings for what you need here. I tried three of them just for giggles - because I got them free at Harbor Freight - and all of them read a 1.5 ohm coil high by over 4.0 ohms.

Hmm I have a bit to ponder... good to know I thought nitecore was respectable

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
Hmm I have a bit to ponder... good to know I thought nitecore was respectable

It is. Some people want different things and experiences form different opinions. I have a two bay NC in my truck, and a 4 bay in my house that keeps all of my rechargeable batteries; AAA, AA, 18350, 18500 and 18650 charged quite well. They're easy to use, indicate how much charge is in the battery when you put it in the charger all the way until it's charged, and have yet to fail me or let me down in any way.

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
I have the I2 and its good. I do check my cells coming off the charger about once a week on a digital meter and they are between 4.19 and 4.20. I have never seen anything above 4.20.

Anytime you ask specifics about a product you will get mixed reviews. I know my mutimeter does not lie, the Intellicharger I have charges cells safely to the correct voltage thats the best I can tell you.

Last edited:

Nytebreed

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Boston, MA USA
My D4 has been trouble free. I was a little concerned at 1st about how consistent it was reading, so I double checked with a quality DMM and it was spot on.
I've also spaced and left batteries on it over night, and it's shutoff seems to work as advertized. No warm batteries in the morning.
I'm soon to upgrade my work charger to a D2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread