How can I know max or reccomended wattage on new RBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarKenHall

Jun 17, 2017
Gday all, Ive been vaping pre-made coils on alien with baby beast until recently I have purchased the RBA for it, the coils it came with gave a reccomended wattage, but i have just got some pre made coils for the rba but unsure how many watts is reasonable to use for them, they are reading .25 ohms. Im not looking to max them out just want a reasonable vape and know where my limits are trying to find what is good.

FarKenHall

Jun 17, 2017
Gday all, Ive been vaping pre-made coils on alien with baby beast until recently I have purchased the RBA for it, the coils it came with gave a reccomended wattage, but i have just got some pre made coils for the rba but unsure how many watts is reasonable to use for them, they are reading .25 ohms. Im not looking to max them out just want a reasonable vape and know where my limits are trying to find what is good.

FarKenHall

Jun 17, 2017
Sorry I forgot to mention that I have spent quite awhile googling an answer and getting overly technical stuff. Just looking for a simple answer so i can try a couple of different coils until I find something I like. The Q2 0.4 ohm coils at about 55-60W is what I liked so trying to get close to this type of vape with RBA - sick of 4-5 AUD sometimes after 3 days with gunked coils. So if anyone can reduce me some trial and error on finding this would be much appreciated. Wanting as hassle free as possible, not interested in rolling own wire and if certain wires/brands of pre wound require less maintenance then others then these would be preferable.

Highwayman

May 24, 2017
If youve got a vw/vv regulated device, i wouldnt worry so much. It really does come down to trial and error but regulated mods are considered the safest.
Airflow, juice, how its wicked, size of coil; they all play a part in what will be favoured by you. I have a single coil build in my rdta @ 0.35 ohm parallel 24g K-A1 7 wrap and the highest i go on wattage is 50. I know it could take more but im stepping into burnt wick territory if i push it further and i prefer it around 46.5 watt.
The regulated mod will save your face, but it is really a case of "suck it and see" ;)

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

mrjohs

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2015
It depends on the mod you're going to be using... Is it a single battery or double?
Use online calculators for ohms law. Input your resistance value and the wattage you are vaping at.
If the value of voltage and current is above the amperage of the battery then reduce it.

This is only true if you are using a mechanical mod.

Reactions: Cf11

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Sorry I forgot to mention that I have spent quite awhile googling an answer and getting overly technical stuff. Just looking for a simple answer so i can try a couple of different coils until I find something I like. The Q2 0.4 ohm coils at about 55-60W is what I liked so trying to get close to this type of vape with RBA - sick of 4-5 AUD sometimes after 3 days with gunked coils. So if anyone can reduce me some trial and error on finding this would be much appreciated. Wanting as hassle free as possible, not interested in rolling own wire and if certain wires/brands of pre wound require less maintenance then others then these would be preferable.

Coil diameter, wire type, number of turns, and personal preference all factor into the final decision. Is this RBA a dual or single coil?

Go here and play around with the parameters to find out what works best. Your most important indicator is the Heat Flux bar graph on the right side. Anything in the green is a good coil design. Yellow and red are an indicator that you won't like what you have input for your build. Tweak your creation until the bar goes into the green range.
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Depends on juice, build, wire type, coil type, etc. On prebuilt systems... I follow the recommendation. If I build it myself, I keep the "3.7V Sweet Spot" in mind. To find how many watts gets you 3.7V on a VW device, use steam engine.

Why 3.7V? No matter what, unless you're using a parallel box, and super sub-ohm (.09 and lower), no need to go above the "nominal" voltage capable of being delivered by the battery(s) base specifications.

Gunk on coils, caused by sweeteners in juice. Change juice. Try using TC or switching to 316L stainless (would say other stainless, but I haven't tested any other forms of stainless steel yet) wire. Since I've moved to 316L wire, gunk has been almost non-existent. Most of the time it's a juice thing though.

.4 ohms is pretty easy to get. Depends on gauge (wire diameter) you're looking to use. 20 gauge and lower... Don't even waste your time. Too many wraps or coil diameter would need to be wrapped around a garbage can to get desired effect of .4 ohms. Try 28 gauge or 26 gauge. About 7/8 or 8/9 on approximately a 1/8" drill bit would suffice. Could go larger inner diameter if needed to decrease wraps or smaller and increase wraps. Totally up to you.

If you're not comfortable wrapping your own coils on a rebuildable atomizer...

Last edited:

FarKenHall

Jun 17, 2017
Cheers everyone, slowly figuring it out with a bit of trial and error, wasn't to impressed with the tfv8 baby rebuildable coil, small to build on especially with it being dual coil, and lost flavour compared to the pre-made coil range that comes with it. Just bought yesterday a vandyvape kylin tank, put two .9 ohm clapton (pre-rolled) coils in, got about .45 ohms and vapes well and nice flavour at around 50W, probably prefer the baby beast with the Q2 at the moment but I think I will prefer the kylin once I get used to it.

f1fanoly

Jan 18, 2014
Centralia
I have only used RTA's for several years now. I have played around with all types of wire and sizes. The easiest, quickest and most accurate way for me to get to my desired vape is to adjust the wattage To whatever gives me anywhere from 4 to 4.5 volts. If you pay attention to the volts while adjusting the watts, you can get very close regardless of the resistance of the coil. Figure out what volts your desired vape happens at and there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread