How did you coil/wick/cotton your tank today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
Wismec Reux
2x SS 316L 26ga, Ø3mm, 7.5 wraps, 0.6ohm

Reux_3678_zpseyvishfd.jpg

Reux_3673_zps1xehklmj.jpg

Reux_3677_zpsawjd971z.jpg

Reux_3687_zpsjvqf56je.jpg

... leaking. My Reux is going to stay in the garage for the time being.

SK1LL

Apr 4, 2017
I dug out my deringer thingy and have been fighting with my titanium after delving into one of the other threads. I've since been bundling up and throwing out ....feeeeeet of wire:yawn:
So I decided to try twisting, why note waste more right? ended up with this..
IMG_20170423_020206-1.jpg

Since I didn't wanna snip it, I just tucked it in and called it a sleeper build
IMG_20170423_013855-1.jpg

o_Ogood thing titanium is resilient. That's 26g
IMG_20170423_020439-1.jpg
this means I'm not doing mtl anymore:(at least I've got a good stock of juice left
:party::party::party::party::party:

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
The Reux.
I decided to give it a last chance after seeing "Vaping With Vic" SteamCrave Aromamizer PLUS RDTA review.
He made a 2x ø5mm coil for his tank.
So, I had to give my Reux a try. I couldn't fit the 6 wraps of S316L 26ga ø5mm inside the the deck's wall, so reduced it to ø4mm and got 0.3ohm out of it.

And ... it's working! ;)
Now, it fully live upto the reviews that I've seen around :)

Reactions: SK1LL

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Innokin Axiom tank, RBA head. Kanthal 28ga 2.5mm 6-wrap, wicked with rayon.

Wicks trimmed very short:
qwVLJOE.jpg

From above:
yA0kxzs.jpg

Fitting the chamber on:
nQcz1di.jpg

And tightened down:
9j2Duor.jpg

Color change:
xOXabbj.jpg

Ohms are a little jumpy, changes each time I hit it from between .62 and .74:
Q9iRbcR.jpg

Bubbles!:
bZEvbnU.jpg

Vapor!:
s5Y69jJ.jpg

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Bonus build! Kayfun Lite Plus "Second Batch" (Clone by EHPro with 2 airholes. Doesn't really increase the available airflow but it's a fair bit quieter and less "whistley" with both holes open.)

28ga Kanthal 10-wrap, 3mm, 2.05 ohms:
uAdl8LD.jpg

And from the side:
a6tLKKx.jpg

Rayon wick, trimmed:
SYRwPnQ.jpg

Chamber on:
tgHGcfD.jpg

Vapor test:
n7ehSo3.jpg

Bell cap from FastTech. This particular SKU is discontinued, but I think it's the same as 5672001. A little "vaper towel" in the hole here helps keep it from leaking out the chimney when I fill it (I do this with all my Kayfuns, it's not unique to the bell cap):
QhdXELQ.jpg

One of the only things I don't like about this tank is you need a screwdriver to fill it:
GiY3bNM.jpg

The juice is a Halo "Malibu" clone -- Pina Colada and Jamaican Rum with Koolada for an icy kick without the "mint" of menthol:
3MKW4WD.jpg

Leave a little air for proper wicking action:
nEHGjqL.jpg

Bubbles! They're hard to capture since they don't stick around very long in this high-PG mix, but I swear they're there:
PJdEy8N.jpg

And vapor! Again, since I'm using a high-PG blend, it's a wispier, less-dense vapor from this excellent MTL tank:
cKzyhvy.jpg

I found the drip tip in a Cracker Jack box:
bcDvb90.jpg

No for real tho, I found it in a Cracker Jack box. I'm a little sad I didn't keep the actual box, but I got it in with a bottle of Steep Vapors' "Pop Deez" caramel-popcorn flavored e-liquid:
maxresdefault.jpg

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Rebuilding the old KangerTech "New Dual Coil Unit" for Mini ProTank 3. Tagging @VapeLuvr for the vertical build.

I've been fighting with this one for a while now. I'm still not very "good," but perhaps finally a little bit better than "bad." This time I used a 6-wrap, 2.5mm spaced coil of 30ga Kanthal. One end pulled straight to begin with:
lwid43n.jpg

Wick is a half-length strip of KGD prepared as before, cut to width with one skin peeled off. Here it is all wrapped up:
UiLiHxs.jpg

Test-fitting inside the barrel. It's a little fat here:
AF0XvXc.jpg

...so I trimmed a little off, and it fits perfect:
dX2dlka.jpg

Before assembly though, I have to bend the outer (negative) lead down towards what will be the bottom. Note which lead is the longer one. Here it's the center (positive) lead:
CINSLb3.jpg

Then fit both leads down through the bottom of the coil head:
tawalFq.jpg

Find the negative lead and bend it outward:
AxQZeF9.jpg

Then fit the insulator grommet over the other lead:
hIkGb42.jpg

...and wiggle it into place:
eNQ4puO.jpg

Bend this lead in the opposite direction as the other one, and insert the positive pin:
NJWPhrM.jpg

Clip the leads as close as humanly possible. I forgot to take a picture once the leads were clipped but here's a nice pretty shot down the barrel:
FbgFeVw.jpg

I'm taking a calculated risk here by not using this collar piece, but I haven't had any leaking and only the tiniest amount of gurgling so far, when I really hit it hard:
dwQXYBR.jpg

Resistance is a little higher than I expected (read 2.6 initially, and settled around 2.3; I was aiming for 1.8 according to Steam Engine):
wic4pmr.jpg

Wicking bubbles! LOTS and LOTS of TEENY TINY wicking bubbles. I was afraid I had blown it by leaving the collar off but, again, seems-okay-for-now-knock-on-wood:
wIT2NwU.jpg

And...it's functional, I guess? Not my finest work; I have to hit it real slow and it gets real hot in the process, but it does technically make vapor:
KUnbySt.jpg

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
Rebuilding the old KangerTech "New Dual Coil Unit" for Mini ProTank 3. Tagging @VapeLuvr for the vertical build.

I've been fighting with this one for a while now. I'm still not very "good," but perhaps finally a little bit better than "bad." This time I used a 6-wrap, 2.5mm spaced coil of 30ga Kanthal. ...
@bwh79
Nice (watchmaker) job!

Reactions: bwh79

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I just got this Desire "Rabies" RDA in the mail from Heaven Gifts. Thought I'd put a build in it:
J1yiHKD.jpg

28ga Kanthal 8-wrap 2.5mm ID (I think I meant to use 26ga, but I grabbed the wrong spool and just went with it):
0RxW3B9.jpg

UQ0C5ug.jpg

pOZ4HCe.jpg

Nice even glow:
lYqEt1r.jpg

Resistance didn't change much after adjusting:
s0y4itW.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the trimmed wicks before I tucked them:
dG52Kf1.jpg

But here they are all juiced up:
kdWPc1f.jpg

And firing:
zM75tSt.jpg

30 watts on the Vapor Shark:
vSTrbbj.jpg

Umm, don't get...bit by this...rabid...shark, I guess? Lol:
HksSnvR.jpg

Phil Lee

Apr 30, 2017
Cambridgeshire, England
I like SS316L too - safe for power or temp control, can get some real pretty colours from heat if you pulse it gently, and IMO should be the default now instead of Kanthal.
I have a pair of 1 ohm (ish) 3.5mm 28AWG 8 wrap coils horizontally in a UD Igo W7, but the "ish" is because it's made 0.54 according to the mod (SX Mini M class, and yes, I do have to set the TCR as it isn't built in) - close enough I guess. Wicked with one tail of each wick into the opposite juice well and one tucked under into it's own, to balance any off-centre dripping and make sure both coils can get any juice that's left, so with temp control, no dry hits from either coil, just less and less vapour. Seems to work fairly well for testing juice recipes, which is what I stuck it together for, but it ain't pretty! Lots of flavour though. And I doubt if my photography skills can come close to yours, even if it was pretty enough to be worth taking pictures of. This RDA is only pretty on the outside :)

Reactions: Winblows

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
I like SS316L too - safe for power or temp control, can get some real pretty colours from heat if you pulse it gently, and IMO should be the default now instead of Kanthal.
I have a pair of 1 ohm (ish) 3.5mm 28AWG 8 wrap coils horizontally in a UD Igo W7, but the "ish" is because it's made 0.54 according to the mod (SX Mini M class, and yes, I do have to set the TCR as it isn't built in) - close enough I guess. Wicked with one tail of each wick into the opposite juice well and one tucked under into it's own, to balance any off-centre dripping and make sure both coils can get any juice that's left, so with temp control, no dry hits from either coil, just less and less vapour. Seems to work fairly well for testing juice recipes, which is what I stuck it together for, but it ain't pretty! Lots of flavour though. And I doubt if my photography skills can come close to yours, even if it was pretty enough to be worth taking pictures of. This RDA is only pretty on the outside :)
Don't think about the skills. Just point your camera close up at the subject and shoot. Nowadays, the 'Delete' feature is available :) if something goes wrong ;)

Reactions: bwh79

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I like to dry-burn my coils when rewicking, so I have to be extra-careful when I do SS since you're not supposed to really make them glow. But I've heard it's not terribly good to do that with Kanthal either, so I guess I should try to keep it reined in in any case. Can you make micro/contact coils with SS when you're not using it for TC, or should they always be spaced, regardless?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
KangerTech "New Dual Coil Unit" for Mini ProTank 3. ... vertical build.

I'm taking a calculated risk here by not using this collar piece, but I haven't had any leaking and only the tiniest amount of gurgling so far, when I really hit it hard [...] I was afraid I had blown it by leaving the collar off but, again, seems-okay-for-now-knock-on-wood:
I picked this one up again today and, after sitting upright for a couple of days it is gurgling pretty badly after all. So I pulled it apart, took a picture for while I was in there, just because:

trBW64R.jpg

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
made a new CLR for one of my eGo ONE Mega V2 - I'm not finished with finding the right build for them.
SS 316L 28ga, ø2.6, 7 wraps (spaced), 0.63ohm (no cotton yet).
By the way, I've ordered some SS 317L (just for comparison to the SS 316L) and some Rayon Cellucotton (just for comparison to the Koh Gen Do) :)

I picked this one up again today and, after sitting upright for a couple of days it is gurgling pretty badly after all. So I pulled it apart, took a picture for while I was in there, just because:

trBW64R.jpg
Nice spacing between the wraps!

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
After fighting for far too long with the Kanthal today, I ended up with a working SS build (316L) in my Velocity Mini "clone" by Tobeco.

SS316L 26ga 3.0mm 12-wrap duals:
YbnjiCg.jpg

I needed to trim the rayon a little more after this:
rwKjlBg.jpg

Wicks tucked in. At least one of them felt a little loose in the coil after wetting, I may need to rewick this sooner rather than later:
Ge5vYiD.jpg

But for now, it works:
Z0YBOJS.jpg

0.4 ohms, 40 watts, 4.0 volts:
TSAj4Wr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread