How did you coil/wick/cotton your tank today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Lee

Apr 30, 2017
Cambridgeshire, England
I like to dry-burn my coils when rewicking, so I have to be extra-careful when I do SS since you're not supposed to really make them glow. But I've heard it's not terribly good to do that with Kanthal either, so I guess I should try to keep it reined in in any case. Can you make micro/contact coils with SS when you're not using it for TC, or should they always be spaced, regardless?

It is my understanding that breathing the vapour given off by just about any glowing metal is inadvisable at best, although that is normally something which is only of concern to welders who may be exposed to much higher concentrations from far higher temperatures and over much longer periods than we are ever likely to be concerned with. SS at the levels and frequencies we are likely to be exposed to is relatively safe, as much as anything can be - 316L in particular, is supposed to be safe (in many places mandated) in commercial kitchens, where a pot boiling dry can get glowing pretty easily, and I've not seen any panic stories about that. I wish I'd kept links to some of what I've read about relative risks in the various wire types we use - some were written or presented by proper experts in industrial safety and related fields, so I'm pretty much taking their word for it! The consensus seems to be that SS316L is as safe as anything is likely to be.
Nickel is apparently outright nasty, and Ti isn't too great either. I'm not sure what is given off by Kanthal, but I make a practice of not pulsing beyond what I need to do to make sure any hot-spots are eliminated with anything. I dry burn to clean, but avoid anything given off by the coil at any kind of serious temperature - that is, after all, the stuff you are trying to clean off, so isn't very nice by it's very nature! I heat to glowing and quench under running water, and the coils come out nice and shiny (even though the shape of mine is pretty messy).
I use it in temperature controlled (where supported) and power modes, and on a basic device (Kanger Dripbox v1) with no control except a firing button and basic protection circuits. No mech mods though, which may give some idea of my personal level of risk aversion!
I've had SS316L giving a nice even glow on contact coils, so the oxides do seem to provide an insulating layer. I'm not a medical expert, biologist, chemist, metallurgist or any kind of expert - just regurgitating what I've read, and as always, this advice is worth precisely what you paid for it :) There is some level of risk in almost everything, and all we can do is our best to ameliorate it, by ensuring decent ventilation, for example, and working at arms length where possible.
Most of all, it's your decision - if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't!
If anyone out there is able to provide any real data on relative safety of heating coil wires, please do - I'm always looking to learn more.

Phil Lee

Apr 30, 2017
Cambridgeshire, England
Don't think about the skills. Just point your camera close up at the subject and shoot. Nowadays, the 'Delete' feature is available :) if something goes wrong ;)
I run out of hands though - with a magnifying glass, holding the build so that I can see it myself, then the camera, I'd need at least 3 :)
I'm currently on the lookout for recommendations on a suitable magnifying visor to I can free one hand from holding the magnifying glass - I've seen people using various types in online videos, but have no idea of the relative merits of particular models, and don't want to waste limited money on something with poor optics or that will fall apart in a few weeks. Plus I have to dig my camera out, as I don't currently have it in reachable space (I have rather impaired mobility, so places to put things where I can actually get at them is somewhat limited).
Then, of course, there's the little detail that my coils, under magnification, look like they've been hammered out by a team of particularly ham-fisted trolls working on piecework rates with no quality control - pretty they ain't!
Some of yours are amazingly regular, and the vertical builds in particular look very intricate - I'm very impressed. I'm sure mine will improve with time and better tools (all my tools are ones re-purposed or improvised from previous use, so a bit basic). A decent kit for dedicated use is high on my shopping list, but with TPD about to come into force, I'm leaving anything that I'll still be able to get after that, and focussing on the stuff that is about to get restricted. I just hope I have that adequately covered (decent size tanks and nicotine concentrate seem to be the major restrictions, and we won't know about drippers for sure until we start seeing how courts interpret the laws - do they fail to comply with "spill-proof refilling" as very small tanks, or are they regarded as being outside the regs entirely?) I doubt if squonkers with an internal bottle will get through, but external bottles (such as the DripEZ from Kanger) may be fine (and I'm certain that is exactly what they had in mind when they designed it). And what will they allow in the way of spare parts for existing tanks - especially given that some may be used to extend capacity of TPD compliant sub-2ml tanks by the mechanically gifted? Only time will tell, as whatever we think the laws may say, it's the extent of enforcement and the way a court reads and interprets them that matters in the end.

Reactions: Winblows

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
@Phil Lee, aha, I guess you are looking for something like this ...
100857_1.jpg

lup-klemmelampe-led-lupo-i-sort-9005196-30.jpg
lup-klemmelampe-led-lupo-i-sort-9005196-31.jpg

... well, it should be possible to find something like this on the internet.
I use such lamp when I fix things smaller than the coils :)

Reactions: Phil Lee

Phil Lee

Apr 30, 2017
Cambridgeshire, England
@Phil Lee, aha, I guess you are looking for something like this ...
<snip pics for brevity>
.. well, it should be possible to find something like this on the internet.
I use such lamp when I fix things smaller than the coils :)

I was thinking more along the lines of a visor type device that you wear on your head. (yeah, uber-geeky I know!).
That way, you get both eyes focused on the subject independently, and proper depth perception - I've seen several devices, and most look to be somewhat flimsy, so I'm hoping for someone who actually uses one to give some feedback (good or bad) on a particular brand, so I can either get one like it or avoid it like the plague!

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I was thinking more along the lines of a visor type device that you wear on your head. (yeah, uber-geeky I know!).
That way, you get both eyes focused on the subject independently, and proper depth perception - I've seen several devices, and most look to be somewhat flimsy, so I'm hoping for someone who actually uses one to give some feedback (good or bad) on a particular brand, so I can either get one like it or avoid it like the plague!
I don't have one yet, but this is in my wish list for next time I need something from Amazon. For 8 bucks and change, I figure it's worth a try:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UCODIA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_TfOczbSPK0TRR

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
Hi @KayP.
Well, I spent last evening together with my Aromamizer Plus and I have the same issue as with the Reaux. It's leaking for me.
It is probably my liquid issue. Unfortunately, I bought some 'wrong' VG base with 10% distilled water in it and bought a lot of it :(
In the smaller (22mm) tanks, I can handle it by learning how to cotton (re- cotton some times in the begining) the juice flow control and it works fine. The most 'not leaking' tanks I have are the Kayfun's and the Griffin (I'll buy one more soon).
So ... the Aromamizer and the Reux will stay in my closet for a while (probably until next year) until I purchese some new 99% VG base :)

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
I run out of hands though - with a magnifying glass, holding the build so that I can see it myself, then the camera, I'd need at least 3 :)
I'm currently on the lookout for recommendations on a suitable magnifying visor to I can free one hand from holding the magnifying glass - I've seen people using various types in online videos, but have no idea of the relative merits of particular models, and don't want to waste limited money on something with poor optics or that will fall apart in a few weeks. Plus I have to dig my camera out, as I don't currently have it in reachable space (I have rather impaired mobility, so places to put things where I can actually get at them is somewhat limited).
Then, of course, there's the little detail that my coils, under magnification, look like they've been hammered out by a team of particularly ham-fisted trolls working on piecework rates with no quality control - pretty they ain't!
Some of yours are amazingly regular, and the vertical builds in particular look very intricate - I'm very impressed. I'm sure mine will improve with time and better tools (all my tools are ones re-purposed or improvised from previous use, so a bit basic). A decent kit for dedicated use is high on my shopping list, but with TPD about to come into force, I'm leaving anything that I'll still be able to get after that, and focussing on the stuff that is about to get restricted. I just hope I have that adequately covered (decent size tanks and nicotine concentrate seem to be the major restrictions, and we won't know about drippers for sure until we start seeing how courts interpret the laws - do they fail to comply with "spill-proof refilling" as very small tanks, or are they regarded as being outside the regs entirely?) I doubt if squonkers with an internal bottle will get through, but external bottles (such as the DripEZ from Kanger) may be fine (and I'm certain that is exactly what they had in mind when they designed it). And what will they allow in the way of spare parts for existing tanks - especially given that some may be used to extend capacity of TPD compliant sub-2ml tanks by the mechanically gifted? Only time will tell, as whatever we think the laws may say, it's the extent of enforcement and the way a court reads and interprets them that matters in the end.

There is a visor worn on head with a built in light and several different magnifying lenses available from harbor freight i think for around 20 dollars.
This then would enable person to use both hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread