How did you start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pjump

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
York, UK
OK so lots of people are saying they've just started vaping, I wondered how most started. For me it was a guy at work showing me his ego pen and me thinking that looks a lot cooler than my tarstick, so I got one tried it, lost it, tried cigalikes, lost them, tried another ego, couldn't be bothered, then got an MVP 20w high VG juice and haven't looked back. Tbh health was never the issue for me quitting stinkies it was looking cool with an e CIG over an analog.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I had tried to quit smoking numerous times over the course of 35 years smoking. None of the traditional ways to quit worked.

I happened to see a NJoy disposable ecig while purchasing my cigarettes, and decided to try one out. It wasn't that good, and also wasn't that bad either. It was worth doing some research. I found the E-Cigarette Forum and learned from the vets with more experience than myself.

I started with a reputable ecig starter kit, but found out that looks weren't as important as performance. I desired longer battery life and more options for the juice delivery device. I did more research.

I skipped the intermediate Ego setups and went with Advanced Personal Vaporizers. An AltSmoke Silver Bullet and BB mechanical mods, and put cartotanks on top. Soon after I bought my first regulated mod, a Provari.

That all started three years ago. I'm still using the Silver Bullet and Provari to this day (I chose well), and am now making my own coils & wicks for a number of good reasons. I had no intentions to quit smoking and then quit vaping, I just wanted a safer alternative to smoking tobacco.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Tried cigalikes a few years back and hated them and gave up. Then in 2013 my wife and I were going on a vacation. Couldn't smoke in the rental car, couldn't smoke in the cabin we were staying at, so before we left we decided to get some ecigs to use in those places where we couldn't smoke. We both bought some 15 watt mods and some large tanks (iClear 30) and some juice. They worked really well on our vacation and when we got back we continued to use them in places we couldn't smoke. Over the next couple of months we vaped more and more and smoked less and less. By the end of the year we had both quit smoking entirely.

Never really did intend to quit smoking. Just turned out that once we were used to them and found the right flavors we preferred it to smoking.

mojofilter

Mar 10, 2015
Florida, USA
I got to where I was ready to quit smoking, but I didn't know anyone who vaped. I figured it couldn't be as bad for you as smoking, what with the +/- 6996 fewer chemicals in it. I did a lot of reading online and watching of YouTube reviews of different vaporizers without knowing anything about them. It seemed the more complicated ones with adjustable voltage and resistance were out of my league as a beginner. I settled on a V2 Pro Series 3. Only one button, non-adjustable, available loose-leaf cartridge that does conduction heating instead of combustion, which apparently all other current models do. What I didn't take into consideration is that the rechargeable battery is going to completely die one day and my only alternatives would be to give it up entirely, or keep buying a new vaporizer from V2 every time one died. Plus, their equipment is proprietary - you can't mix and match parts from any other manufacturer.

I had just bought 6 oz of RYO tobacco, as usual, and opened it on the morning of Feb 2. According to what I'd read, I thought I might need to smoke and vape at the same time for at least awhile. I had two or three smokes that morning. A couple hours later, my V2 gear arrived. I charged it up, started using it, and never felt the urge to smoke another cigarette. A month later, my throat began to clamp up and refuse to accept any vapor being inhaled. So I stopped inhaling the vapor into my lungs. I found I could go hours and hours without needing to vape, then days. I realized it was all over, and I hadn't had any awful withdrawal symptoms. That was the baffling part. I was steeling myself for the worst, but it never happened. I still don't understand why, and no one has been able to tell me.

When I bought the Series 3, I also bought a fairly large amount of e-liquid - I thought I'd need it. The big bottle is vanilla flavored. The smaller one is tobacco flavored. As it turns out, I was vaping less than 1 ml per day, and my nicotine intake went way down from day one, instead of way up. I had to stop using the tobacco flavored one, it was just nasty. I found a local vape shop, and tried a couple different flavors from them. I settled on one at 6 mg that I could mix with the 24 mg vanilla to dilute it. That was right around the time I stopped being able to inhale the vapor. But I have all this liquid left. Now I just draw some into my mouth, hold it for a few seconds and blow it out without inhaling. I will do this until I run out of vanilla (I have half a bottle left), and then I won't be buying any more. In two days, I will have been free of addiction for three months.

CardinalWinds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
Vermont, USA
I ran across some article back in late 2008 and decided to investigate. When I first started, of course, the performance from these things was abysmal. I mean back when the only battery looked like a cigarette, and there were only three piece design units...battery, atomizer, cartridge. I still have about 1,000 never used empty carts with the old polyfill that I ordered from China, and I have no earthly reason why I can't bring myself to throw them away.

I guess if they regress us to those very first generation setups, I'll be all set! I've got about 100 never used old school 510 attys, too (these are still viable, though...great for drip testing juices).

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I have nerve damage in my hands that was causing me to drop lit cigarettes a lot. Talk about an immediate health hazard. I had tried just about every method for trying to quit over 40 years, and none had worked.

I'd kind of vaguely heard about electronic cigarettes, so I started researching on line. Since well over half the search results were from ECF I was lucky enough to end up here, asked specific questions about what would work for me, and here I am. It wasn't completely painless to switch, but it worked.

(Of course after quitting to keep from burning the house down we had a chimney fire do the same thing three months after I switched - maybe some things are destined to happen :eek:)

sd3614

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2015
MIDWEST USA
A guy showed me his setup, it smelled good. I needed to quit so I order a Kanger EVOD Mega and a bottle of Unicorn Milk (which is what he showed me) and Sugar Bear from Cuttwood. 2 weeks later I was pretty much off cigs. It was rather amazing but we never smoked in the house so vaping on the couch was comfy. Upgraded hardware in 4 weeks.

I will add I tried e-cigs (eversmoke over a year ago), spent $130 getting started. It just did not work. I was always wondering if my cartridge was about empty or not and would the charge hold up and leave me stranded. I also did not like screwing them in wall socket chargers that were proprietary. The whole "one cartridge is equal to a pack thing" I did not believe. I vape 5ML's daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlamingoTutu

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
A friend of mine kept telling me about this thing she read about online. An electric cigarette. It's hard to believe now, but I wanted no part of it. I said no over and over again. She never gave up, and finally one day ordered a cigalike starter kit. I reluctantly agreed to take it with me to work. I still remember watching the battery charge, smoking and thinking, I'm going to hate this. But I promised to give it a try. I left that morning with it, and came home a confirmed vapor! Of course the cigalike didn't last long, I went on to Ego batteries,then mods and eventually RBA's. But long story short, I always tell people, don't give up on smokers. Be persistent!

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    A friend of mine kept telling me about this thing she read about online. An electric cigarette. It's hard to believe now, but I wanted no part of it. I said no over and over again. She never gave up, and finally one day ordered a cigalike starter kit. I reluctantly agreed to take it with me to work. I still remember watching the battery charge, smoking and thinking, I'm going to hate this. But I promised to give it a try. I left that morning with it, and came home a confirmed vapor! Of course the cigalike didn't last long, I went on to Ego batteries,then mods and eventually RBA's. But long story short, I always tell people, don't give up on smokers. Be persistent!

Good story, gonna keep that in mind. Haven't had a single convert since I started.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    My story is that I saw someone post in my motorcycle forum about a "crappy ecig", maybe back in '09.

Didn't act on it then but it stuck in my head, prices of cigs went up here, had a lay-off, went on the interwebbies to buy some of those Native American Reservation ciggies. Bad idea those.

I always check stuff out on forums, soooo right here I came.

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

jdrewry

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    My brother got me started.
    He started with a Blu. I spent about two weeks reading everything I could about e-cigs. I got my first startup kit (an ego 510) and started on the even of Hurricane Irene (I figured that if I was desperate enough to go out during a hurricane for smokes, then it was gonna be hopeless for me). Three days later, I was throwing out all my smokes--and ashtrays, lighters--anything that reminded me of analogs. Haven't looked back since.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    Hubby suggested ecigs for when we traveled. He was mistaken in that they were fine for air travel. They had been banned or mostly banned on airplanes by then. Anyway, that started the thought process and I started googling and trying to find out any information about ecigs.

Found ECF and read everything I could...for weeks. The day I got my first one, I joined ECF. It took me a month to transition completely.

October will be three years :)

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2014
    Corn 'n' Cows
    Was onsite with a client back in 2010 when he pulls out this "itty bitty" cigarette-looking thing that had a pretty red light on the end and takes a drag. Blows out this cloudy-looking thing.

WHAT IS THAT???? Proceeds to tell me it's an e-cig. I MUST HAVE ONE!!!! Gives me a card from the online vendor from whom he'd purchased. Got myself a Volcano Magma kit and a bunch of flavor cartridges and a couple extra atomizers (had no idea what the hell I was doing - it just looked cool.)

Sadly, it wasn't very satisfying, and I was still smoking.... (No diss on cigalikes - they just weren't what *I* needed) Forty-two months later, I stumble across ECF and within a month of that was FINALLY smoke-free....

B2L

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    After trying everything,from cold turkey to hypnosis, my wife put up $1000 if I quit. I managed 3 weeks and was right back at it. She said I had to cough up the money if I kept smoking and I really didn't want to do that.

I was on the way home from work,listening to Rush Limbaugh (yes, I'm the "C" word) and he was talking about switching from his beloved cigars to ecigarettes in the studio.he mentioned a few brands but said his favorite was by a company called Volcano. I googled it when I got home and ordered a Magma kit that night.

When it came I charged it up and tentatively went outside for my first try. The first hit told me that this might just work. I smoked for about 2 more weeks while vaping in the car.

One of the things I enjoyed most about smoking was the first cigarette of the day. I woke up one morning and went out to light up and it tasted disgusting. Haven't touched one since and that's been over 4 1/2 years ago.

I feel better,smell better and didn't have to give up the thousand bucks :thumbs:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I had been looking for something to replace cigarettes, and tried a number of things...

--Drinking tea
    --Playing the harmonica
    --Rubik's Cube

Nothing was able to give me what cigarettes gave me, which was a reason to take a break from the world now and then...
    A relaxing, mindless ritual that gave me something do with my hands...
    Watching the swirling smoke...

And the main reason...
    To stop my wife from complaining about how bad I smelled every time I came back in from having a smoke.

My sister came into town for Father's Day and after dinner she let me try her new NJoy NPro.
    The next day I drove 60 miles to the nearest Pilot Truck Stop and bought one.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    A buddy at work started me on a pen style device, plus a bottle of eliquid, $20. The day I started last October my cigs went from 25 to 4-5 and stayed there. I decared victory. An 80% decrease in cigs is 80% control. I decided to live with that while I got used to vaping. A week later a local vape shop set me up with an N mini on a spinner 2. After six weeks I noticed I was about to run out of cigs. I decided to delay replacing them and see if the delay could be permanent. That day I got an Atlantis and IPV 2s. I haven't bought any cigs since. Going to zero cigs wasn't very stressful because I knew a relapse would only be back to 4--5 cigs a day. That takes the pressure off which is most of the challange. These days I'm rebuilding a Kanger Sub mini and an Egrip RTA and looking forward to DIY. I have an iStick 50w for out and about and use the IPV 2s at home. The N mini is a backup. The Atlantis is gathering dust. Currently vaping costs me about $35 a month instead of the $260 per month cigs were costing here in Michigan. Sofarsogood.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2012
    Lawrence KS
    Vaping found me.

After 40 years, I was actively trying to cut down with all of the traditional methods...gum, lozenges, cold turkey. One day I had an e-cig advertisement pop-up on my computer...can't remember the brand. Did a little research and, of coarse, ended up on this forum.

Four days later my first starter kit arrived (Volts cig-a-likes from Smokeless Image). I never thought it would work, just hoped to cut down some. Three days later I had my last cigarette. That was 2 years 9 months ago.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
    Mar 28, 2015
    Houghton, MI
    One of the guys I worked with quit smoking and started vaping last summer. We had a lot of people smoking... pretty much all the younger guys here smoked. Anyway, he was always a heavy smoker, somewhere around 2 to 2 1/2 packs a day. He never talked about quitting, just showed up with a mech mod and a dripper one day. First time I'd ever seen anything besides a cigalike. he let me try it out and it was way too much... but it got my attention. Went by a vape shop that had just opened, paid way too much money for an evod and ego battery for me and the wife (110 with 60 ml of juice) and I was hooked. I was really impressed. Haven't touched a cigarette since, and that was October. Took the wife a bit longer, but she quit too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread