How do I dry a cartomizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicejunky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
gone
The sock doesn't keep the cartomizer pointing directly outwards as you spin. Think about it, and I'm sure you'll figure it out. The answer is in your original post, if you need a hint.

Second snarky post from you. It was a sincere question.

What's with the attitude? Did I do something to offend you? I just suggested another alternative to baking them. Not everyone has access to a stove (hotel, camping, hot plate apts) or may not want to heat up the stove for a few cartridges.

Spinning works great and you can use them immediately if you want.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
I did put them in the oven and they seem dry. I'll give them a couple days.

I'm a little grossed out by the mold thing. The reason I decided to wash them was because I didn't know if it was a good idea if they sat around with juice in them not being used.

Plus I used some to test juice I'm not so crazy about. Someday if I ever learn to drip properly I won't waste cartomizers.

Thanks all!

Letting them sit with juice in them is fine, just put your caps on so they don't dry out. Both PG and nicotine are antimicrobials, so I doubt there would be anything growing with the combination of the two as a medium. Water left inside the batting on the other hand will definitely cause mold to grow, so drying cartos as quickly as possible is strongly suggested.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
Second snarky post from you. It was a sincere question.

What's with the attitude? Did I do something to offend you? I just suggested another alternative to baking them. Not everyone has access to a stove (hotel, camping, hot plate apts) or may not want to heat up the stove for a few cartridges.

Spinning works great and you can use them immediately if you want.

The reverse taryn spin is a well-known method here to remove excess liquid from cartos. You can read about it or watch YouTube videos showing how it's done by searching at Google for "taryn." Searching Google is the best resource to search for anything here on ECF -- and will lead you back here.

No attitude here and no snarkiness intended...just trying to help you learn, since you're new at this, about the preferred method of removing liquid from cartos. But to dry cartos completely, using an oven is the best choice. Of course, one needs to have access to an oven for 10 minutes in order to do that. Otherwise, you could place the rubberbanded cartos in something (like a sock) and place the sock in a dryer for a few minutes, like when drying towels or something similar.

You should always dry cartos thoroughly after cleaning them. StormFinch and Salemgold brought up very good points about why you should dry them completely before adding e-liquid. I also mentioned above another effect that can occur if you refill cartos when the filler inside is still damp, moist, and/or soggy.

I've posted many times, in other threads and in this thread, that cartos shouldn't be cleaned -- and the reasons why they shouldn't be cleaned. The important point is, if you do clean them, they should be completely dry before filling them with e-liquid. Spinning them doesn't get the fillers inside completely dry. Letting them air dry or using a fan takes too long. Using an oven is just right. ;)

arjay55

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2010
- ɹəpun uʍop -
...... By the way, about 46.7% of the water stays in the filler after spinning or blowing the excess water out, not 2%. ......

Okay, I'll bite. How on earth did you find out that "about 46.7%" of the water stays in the filler after spinning etc. Not meaning to be a smarty here, just interested to know.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Last edited:

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
:facepalm:

So now you're advocating the oven method? You used to advise against it, not so long ago....

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-problem-808-carts-i-cleaned.html#post2163604

Heck, that was almost 2½ months ago! I tried the oven method, after you confirmed that it was okay to do, and it worked fine. It didn't make sense to me way back when, but that was also the only time I used the oven, since I experimented with cleaning cartos and found it was a waste of time, and I don't even use them anymore.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Letting them sit with juice in them is fine, just put your caps on so they don't dry out. Both PG and nicotine are antimicrobials, so I doubt there would be anything growing with the combination of the two as a medium. Water left inside the batting on the other hand will definitely cause mold to grow, so drying cartos as quickly as possible is strongly suggested.

I agree. I leave mine in a plastic tupperware container until I am ready to wash and dry.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ

I do that if it's the same juice. But in this case it was completely different juice.

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
I use a kid's snot sucker (bulb syringe) and scoosh very hot tap water through the top a few times, blow through the battery end until there's no more water coming out and then (get ready for this)....

Sit them on top of my modem overnight! it's nice and warm and I've never had any dripping issues. Cartos are nice and dry by morning time.

BonnyC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia
Swedishfish, I haven't seen this recommended here yet and I'm not 100% sure it works, but I have read threads where people would place the wet (but blown out) carto's in a sock, tie a knot in it and double the open end over the bundle with the carto's for extra padding then chuck them in the dryer with a load of laundry.

I have a little bundle in my dryer now but I don't know how well it works. I honestly don't care for carto's unless I'm going on a long drive and don't want to fool with pulling over to refill my carts or fumbling to attach another to my atty.

here's how I dried mine after a couple of boils,

Step 1 : Blow from both ends, and maybe shake them a little(get as much water out as possible, make sure they are cool first before lips are applied)

Step 2 : take a drinking glass and place them vertically in the bottom of the glass, battery connector side down, open end up.

Step 3 : Fold a couple of paper towels to put over cartos in glass.

Step 4 : fill glass with rice, 1/2 cup to cup, I usually just fill to almost top

Step 5 : place on top shelf in cabinet behind things so girlfriend wont think i'm crazy, and curious kids wont touch.

Step 6 : wait about 24 hrs

Will also work with phones or electronics that have fallen in puddles of water or toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread