How do I prevent herbal e-liquids from gunking up coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noah Whittington

Apr 11, 2016
North Carolina
I have been trying to make an herbal e-juice for about 6 months now and I have still had nothing but poor results. I tried 3 different straining methods in order to create the herbal extract. I would put VG into a jar a long with the herbs in my case it was spear mint. Then I would place the sealed jar in a warm water bath on simmer for about 3 hours while shaking every 20 minutes or so. The first straining method involved straining while the VG was still hot. I would strain it through 25 micron strainer and still it would not turn out very clear at all. I tried vaping it and it tasted great at first but then started to have a burnt horrible taste to it and I opened my RDA and it turned my wick black and gunked up my coils horribly.

I figured I just needed to strain it a bit more so I tried the 2nd straining method and ran it through a 1 micron filter this time and it came out a bit more clearer but still cloudy. I tried vaping it once more and it tasted good for a bit longer but then had a burnt taste to it and started gunking up everything again.

The 3rd straining method involved something else entirely. I would put spear mint in a jar of vodka for about 1 month then strain it through a 1 micron strainer. After that I would add the mint extract to PG and then add some VG. I would vape on it and still the same thing happened.

I've seen company's do this before but how the hell do they strain the liquid so it is clear and won't gunk up coils?

I even tried running some of the herbal e-juices I made through a coffee filter and still it was cloudy.

I've heard so many success stories on forums on people doing this type of DIY but they always fail to mention how they were able to strain the liquid in order to make it vapable.

I also tried vaping the herbal e-juices in tanks and that was a bad idea. It gunks up the tanks Coil and permanently renders it with a horrible taste even if you were to clean it. I always have to replace my coils after using it which gets expensive.

Does anyone know of a way to strain herbal e-liquids to make them vapeable with no gunking up, bad tasting mess?
Does anyone know how the e-Juice companies do it? Or is there a different type of strainer I need for this DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread