Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
How to quit vaping...just...don't vape. Just stop. Put away all the vape things, and just stop. There, that was easy...;)

Ya, but ...

9vdy4l.jpg

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
This is turning into a fascinating discussion, I love it.

Opinionated, your story of how you did it really helped a lot. Mindless vaping is what I have a problem with. I think it's the hand to mouth feeling. Exercising more, and having a sip of water rather than a vape is great advice.

What hasn't worked: For several months I have let myself run out of juices I like. I don't buy new equipment I need, like coils and new tanks. I've let myself get down to only three mods that still work.

I caved yesterday and bought a bunch of new equipment and new bottles of juices with flavors I do like.

You gave me an idea. Put my vape gear somewhere out of the house, like the garage, so it's inconvenient, but not so scary like throwing it all out. When I quit smoking and started vaping back in 2011, I kept a pack of cigarettes in the glove box of my car. I had to go all the way down the elevator and to the car to get one. That worked. After two weeks, I stopped smoking altogether and became a vaper.

I kept a water bottle where I keep my vape, and took a sip of water instead of a vape. I exercised more, and generally kept myself occupied. I stayed away from the triggers to mindless vaping (which used to be my triggers to mindless smoking) especially in the beginning of my quit.

And, I just quit.. walked away. I stayed off the forum because talking about vaping made me want to vape.. stayed away from digital art as that was a mindless trigger for vaping for a month or so. Occupied myself otherwise.

Worked for 5 months last time.. and I did like being completely free. Next time, I hope is permanent.

But, all I can say is what I said, do what works for you, and know yourself. Know what triggers you to want to vape, look for things to occupy your hands when sitting (mine was a water bottle, and more marital time in the mornings) and find other things to occupy your time, clean your house more, exercise more etc. Attack that closet you've neglected.. etc.

Some day, you will find, you don't miss it much. As time wears on, you think of it less and less.. but I warn you those are the times you should be most on your guard, because it's that sneaking hankering you weren't expecting that will get you.

Thank you!

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
This is turning into a fascinating discussion, I love it.

Opinionated, your story of how you did it really helped a lot. Mindless vaping is what I have a problem with. I think it's the hand to mouth feeling. Exercising more, and having a sip of water rather than a vape is great advice.

What hasn't worked: For several months I have let myself run out of juices I like. I don't buy new equipment I need, like coils and new tanks. I've let myself get down to only three mods that still work.

I caved yesterday and bought a bunch of new equipment and new bottles of juices with flavors I do like.

You gave me an idea. Put my vape gear somewhere out of the house, like the garage, so it's inconvenient, but not so scary like throwing it all out. When I quit smoking and started vaping back in 2011, I kept a pack of cigarettes in the glove box of my car. I had to go all the way down the elevator and to the car to get one. That worked. After two weeks, I stopped smoking altogether and became a vaper.

I kept a water bottle where I keep my vape, and took a sip of water instead of a vape. I exercised more, and generally kept myself occupied. I stayed away from the triggers to mindless vaping (which used to be my triggers to mindless smoking) especially in the beginning of my quit.

And, I just quit.. walked away. I stayed off the forum because talking about vaping made me want to vape.. stayed away from digital art as that was a mindless trigger for vaping for a month or so. Occupied myself otherwise.

Worked for 5 months last time.. and I did like being completely free. Next time, I hope is permanent.

But, all I can say is what I said, do what works for you, and know yourself. Know what triggers you to want to vape, look for things to occupy your hands when sitting (mine was a water bottle, and more marital time in the mornings) and find other things to occupy your time, clean your house more, exercise more etc. Attack that closet you've neglected.. etc.

Some day, you will find, you don't miss it much. As time wears on, you think of it less and less.. but I warn you those are the times you should be most on your guard, because it's that sneaking hankering you weren't expecting that will get you.

Thank you!

Your welcome, and I wish you the best of luck!

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Just an idea on how to taper down on vaping... try limiting yourself to just vaping outside. It might help to start the process. If you don't vape in your house and your car that can drastically cut down on consumption. It did in my last few years of smoking. It definitely stopped me from smoking as much and made the transition to vaping easier.

Fortunately and unfortunately the smell of vaping is not very offensive in the home or my car. As I look at my coffee table as I write this, there are 3 mods on it. It will take more commitment for you to make that walk outside to vape but, it my help break the all day habit of having a vape at an arms length away.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah I used to call that method "zoning." I can't say it did much for me other than breaking the dependence on smoking in certain areas, like my car, f'rinstance. It did help me reduce a slight amount, I also called it "Quitting practice." I'd imagine you could do the same thing with vaping, like go out for errands without your vape, etc. I think it's a valid quit method of sorts, it works well for some folks.

Anna

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
That's freaking HYSTERICAL! Seriously? Wasabenero??????

Don't laugh sandybeach ... hot pepper is a juice ingredient people have tried to add TH to low or no-nic juice. I tried it once and found it too irritating to vape for long. I can't be the only one it didn't work for because it never became too popular :)

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Yes, nicotine is a stimulant and caffeine if a stimulant as someone mentioned but I think they're somewhat different in how they work. While caffeine keeps me awake/stimulated, nicotine also helps me "think". Before I retired, had a career and smoked ... sometimes I'd find I just couldn't make a sound decision or figure something out ... at those times in particular, I'd take a smoke break and a thought/solution/concern I hadn't even considered would SUDDENLY become crystal clear and it wasn't simply because I walked away from the situation, circumstance or environment for a few minutes. I "needed" the nicotine to help me work through it. After about 45 years of smoking, my brain had become accustomed to using nicotine almost as a tool.

I've read how nicotine works in the brain. This seems to break it down about as simple as any I've read, makes sense and sounds pretty dang familiar ...

"Your brain is made up of billions of nerve cells. They communicate by releasing chemical messengers called neurotransmitters. Each neurotransmitter is like a key that fits into a special "lock," called a receptor, located on the surface of nerve cells. When a neurotransmitter finds its receptor, it activates the receptor's nerve cell.

The nicotine molecule is shaped like a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. Acetylcholine and its receptors are involved in many functions, including muscle movement, breathing, heart rate, learning, and memory. They also cause the release of other neurotransmitters and hormones that affect your mood, appetite, memory, and more. When nicotine gets into the brain, it attaches to acetylcholine receptors and mimics the actions of acetylcholine.

Nicotine also activates areas of the brain that are involved in producing feelings of pleasure and reward. Recently, scientists discovered that nicotine raises the levels of a neurotransmitter called dopamine in the parts of the brain that produce feelings of pleasure and reward. Dopamine, which is sometimes called the pleasure molecule, is the same neurotransmitter that is involved in addictions to other drugs such as ....... and ....... Researchers now believe that this change in dopamine may play a key role in all addictions. This may help explain why it is so hard for people to stop smoking."

How Does Nicotine Act in the Brain?

Last edited:

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
One of my relapses came after 10 years. May be I'll stop vaping but the stash stays right were it is.

It's ironic that tobacco is produced in the southern states. Those were the slave states. We fought a war to abolish slavery. Now we have tobacco slavery compliments of the same southern states.

UH, WTF !!! ... slavery started in colonial America before there were even any Southern states. You're going to use this somehow to bash the South ?? ... no need to answer that. I can name your tune in one note.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
One of my relapses came after 10 years. May be I'll stop vaping but the stash stays right were it is.

It's ironic that tobacco is produced in the southern states. Those were the slave states. We fought a war to abolish slavery. Now we have tobacco slavery compliments of the same southern states.

Says the guy sitting in his cotton britches, using cotton wicking, sipping Colombian coffee with Florida sugar and eating Honduran bananas.

Silly me... I thought the Civil War was a bloody misinterpretation of the Tenth Amendment.

Nicotine, as adeptly pointed out above, is an addictive substance that does have some beneficial effects. It just comes from a dangerous delivery method which is itself habit forming.

I frankly believe vaping is the Hand of Providence, delivering the gift of His creation without the harmful effects.

I'm blessed. And Southern by the Grace of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread